Mario Cristobal offers no discernable advantage

Btw if we must compare Al / Temple to Mario / Fiu where’s Al’s four years at Oregon? Where’s his conference titles , killing recruiting rankings and double digit win seasons? I’ll wait. I mean it’s apples to apples right?

Advertisement
coaches impact three things - 1) recruiting and roster management - roster management = having no linebackers for three years in a row. recruiting - whiffing at WR so often you have to go to the transfer portal to find a number 1 guy almost every year 2) scheming - hire good coordinators and this isn't a problem - Miami had lashlee which was good but Manny which was bad. 3) the little things /intangibles - preparation and discipline. team largely gave good effort but started slow and made tons of mental errors. in my opinion under Mario we will improve in every area.

Go educate yourself rather speaking on myths. He didn’t fix crap, he took a Automatic qualifying roster ( equivalent of power five now) down to the Mac level. Yet only went 8-4 with better players he recruited while in AQ conference. It’s pretty self explanatory and easy to understand…..for most people.
No myth's. You're just in full stan mode. It's ok.

Temple head coach Al Golden has been named a semifinalist for the 2009 George Munger College Coach of the Year Award as well as a candidate for the Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year Award.

Last week, Golden was named to the Watch List for the Paul “Bear” Bryant College Football Coach of the Year Award.

No myth's. You're just in full stan mode. It's ok.

Temple head coach Al Golden has been named a semifinalist for the 2009 George Munger College Coach of the Year Award as well as a candidate for the Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year Award.

Last week, Golden was named to the Watch List for the Paul “Bear” Bryant College Football Coach of the Year Award.
I'm ok with people trying to spin themselves into convincing the board that Mario sucks. But I'll be goddamned if I'm gonna allow some of the same old "pillars," "Temple Tough," "Deserve Victory," "be a cheeseburger," "binder for success," ***-hattery that is the legacy of Al Golden go by unabated. Just stop.

Advertisement
How is elite recruiting not a discernable advantage?

Give me that and money to buy elite coordinators. Y'all think Saban is this master Xs and Os guy? No he gets the best players and hires top assistants. Dabo was a WR coach lol But he recruits his *** off.

How is elite recruiting not a discernable advantage?

Give me that and money to buy elite coordinators. Y'all think Saban is this master Xs and Os guy? No he gets the best players and hires top assistants. Dabo was a WR coach lol But he recruits his *** off.
Well when you consistently lose to inferior teams because of poor preparation and game day coaching you nullify that talent advantage.

See: Miami Hurricanes their entire ACC tenure.

I'm ok with people trying to spin themselves into convincing the board that Mario sucks. But I'll be goddamned if I'm gonna allow some of the same old "pillars," "Temple Tough," "Deserve Victory," "be a cheeseburger," "binder for success," ***-hattery that is the legacy of Al Golden go by unabated. Just stop.

Or what? Am i not allowed to point out the parallels of mediocrity. I'm not posting you make you feel ok.

Advertisement
Or what? Am i not allowed to point out the parallels of mediocrity. I'm not posting you make you feel ok.
I'm trying to save you from yourself because the "parallels" you keep pointing out are absolute dog****. **** you forgot to point out Mario and Golden both wore ties on the sideline. oMG muH PaRAlLeLS!!!1Eleven

I00003pX9rXFG5.A.jpg
i.jpg

Gameday coaching, player development and motivation/charisma are what Manny is lacking. His recruiting, according to rankings, has actually been pretty good, no?
Its been good enough to win our half of the coastal...

Everybody comes with an asterisk.

You can go “out on a limb” with concern who cares? You have said the same as other posters.

We wanted big conference and successful but I guess the goal post has been moved to National championship coach and not a single blip.

I would be pleased with 5 or 6 hires don’t care they are all wait and see. And most coaches are only as good as who they surround themselves with since they can’t play or coach both sides of the ball while also being HC.

Advertisement
Btw if we must compare Al / Temple to Mario / Fiu where’s Al’s four years at Oregon? Where’s his conference titles , killing recruiting rankings and double digit win seasons? I’ll wait. I mean it’s apples to apples right?
If Mario Cristobal was the exact same resume, but played his college ball and started his coaching career at another school(s)…this entire board would be ecstatic. Sure, we have some manny apologists that are committed to go down with the ship, but the rest of the mopes are just blind or have given into the battered syndrome of being a Miami fan.

He is a “Miami guy”…I get it. But take a step back and pretend the above is true and his name was Jack Smith or Tommy Washington. This is exactly the type of hire Miami USED to make when the school cared even a little bit about being competitive. Jimmy and Dennis were both P5 coaches that had success and were hitting their primes. Butch had a universally respected track record and we all know what he built. Mario has spent the last 7-8 years mastering his craft and when he was given an opportunity to show out he killed it at Oregon.

There isn’t a perfect coach out there, period. This is by far the best hire Miami could ask for in terms of the planets aligning the way they have. Maybe this is the gift for 20 years of misery, I don’t know. But I know that MANY P5 schools would be ecstatic to have him.

Advertisement
Mario would still bring in top 10-12 recruiting classes every year. My thing with him is gameday coaching. We've seen coach after coach lose 2-3 games a year against far less talented teams. He'd be a better hire than any of our previous hires because I think he'd be the most consistent recruiter we've had since Butch. I just think he's limited when it comes to X's and O's which would put a ceiling on the program.
I know a majority of this board has an unhealthy obsession with bringing alumni home to save the program, but Mario is not what we need. He offers no tangible advantage for this program.

I hear everybody say, he'll fix the OL like he's the only person in the country that can recruit good o-linemen. The truth is, people say that about him because that's all he truly brings to the table. He has no system that

Fans will also talk about his recruiting. It's true; he's killing it right now, but we've seen time and time again that you need more than good players to win games. We've seen watched Miami for over a decade continually lose to lesser talented teams because of coaching ineptitude. Talent only gets you so far. L to Stanford this year, L's to Oregon State and Cal last year. Also, lets face it, he's taking advantage of an extremely down conference right now--USC, UCLA and Washington are all shells of themselves and he's feasting on the west coast. That wouldn't happen recruiting the southeast. He'd have to go up against Bama, UGA, Clemson, Ohio State etc. for recruits.

How about discipline? A hard-nosed guy like Mario must have a disciplined team. Nope. Oregon's currently sitting at 114th in the country in penalty yards per game--exactly one spot in front of your Miami Hurricanes.

How about offense? Mario has to have great offenses, right? Him being an offensive guy and all. 32nd ranked offense in the nation. For reference Miami is ranked 28th. His offense isn't bad, but it's consistently been underwhelming. The narrative regarding Justin Herbert and his time at Oregon was that the offense failed him. He was used incorrectly and it failed to showcase his talents. Mario has no offensive system so he'd need to make the correct hire there. We'd also have to hope he doesn't hamstring that OC either by playing a conservative style of football.

Mario would need the perfect OC and DC hires to succeed because he offers no schematic advantage on either side of the ball. He's your classic CEO type head coach. Think about all the top coaches in the country right now. All of them have a calling card on one side of the ball or the other. Saban on D, Kirby on D, Day on offense, Riley on offense, Gundy on offense etc. I could go on and on. Mario is not guru on either side of the ball which means he'd need big money coordinators to succeed here, and that scares me. That's why I'm all in on guys like Lane Kiffin or Hugh Freeze. At least you know with them one side of the ball will be taken care of.
Wish I was wrong but dammit mane everything that was said in this thread is playing out.

Advertisement
Back