Mario Cristobal offers no discernable advantage

Bain isn’t a difference maker?

Wayne isn’t a difference maker?

Kelly isn’t a difference maker?

What is your definition of a difference maker?
Bain is that’s it. a difference maker is someone that makes plays when needed, a Dallas Turner for example. You named 3 players, 2 of them are def not different makers they are good depth and serviceable.

Advertisement
Maybe one day but not now. DE is a huge question mark on this team after Bain. Kelly and Wayne are 1-2 years away but I’ve barely seen flashes from them. After that, who else do we have?

We will once again go portal heavy for the next 2 years bc we just don’t have the horses

Wayne and Kelly are ready right now. Watch those three guys, play after play, defeat 1v1 blocks.

The incoming class (Lightfoot especially) can contribute right away.

DT? That’s a major area of concern, although the young guys there now are ACC caliber starters in a few years. Miami will have to bridge the gap thru the portal.

Bain is that’s it. a difference maker is someone that makes plays when needed, a Dallas Turner for example. You named 3 players, 2 of them are def not different makers they are good depth and serviceable.

A play when you need it? That’s a little vague no?

Wayne/Kelly where in there quite a bit and got a few pressures.

We’re obviously not watching the same games.

Wayne and Kelly are ready right now. Watch those three guys, play after play, defeat 1v1 blocks.

DT? That’s a major area of concern, although the young guys there now are ACC caliber starters in a few years. Miami will have to bridge the gap thru the portal.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Wayne and Kelly, but I’ve watched them and they are simply not there yet. Lightfoot is halfway through his senior year - we’ll see.

“Flashes” no longer counts for much (look at LT). As for DT, i really like Horton. Moten is an average P5 starter imo and beyond that? Slim pickings.

And yeah, we’ll need to go portal heavy on DL considering we might very well lose 8-9 DL.

it’s really not that vague, I gave u a clear example of what a difference maker was…. Gave u a player, whose been making places since his freshman year in college.

Advertisement
DB will be a stud playing star. He was created for that position , the perfect body type. His issue has been the playbook / assignment. But at this point we need to start sprinkling younger guys in. Ray Ray, Washington, CJJ, Horton , Popo, DB and Richard. Who’s been better at practice lately. He’s picking things up.
this. our dbs look slow and have mental breakdowns. Wayne, Bain, kelly when healthy, wes have been solid. We need the LB's to start getting in more. Flagg is a disaster up the middle. If the recruits see young kids potential, it helps with recruiting. we are losing by 18 and our upperclassmen are celebrating still. they have that Manny clown show mentality. I realized it when I seen this Jaden Harris kid move to safety and been more consistent than most our upperclassmen. its always them ******** up.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Wayne and Kelly, but I’ve watched them and they are simply not there yet. Lightfoot is halfway through his senior year - we’ll see.

“Flashes” no longer counts for much (look at LT). As for DT, i really like Horton. Moten is an average P5 starter imo and beyond that? Slim pickings.

And yeah, we’ll need to go portal heavy on DL considering we might very well lose 8-9 DL.
Portal heavy on DL is an absolute disaster waiting to happen as well

Guys like Deen are about as good as we are gonna do imo

Less than zero percent chance we are gonna go out there and outbid and outmatch the blue bloods in the portal for some of these key positions

Portal heavy on DL is an absolute disaster waiting to happen as well

Guys like Deen are about as good as we are gonna do imo

Less than zero percent chance we are gonna go out there and outbid and outmatch the blue bloods in the portal for some of these key positions

Yup. We’ll have to deal with getting the Gore’s and Deen’s of the world. In other words, barely serviceable rotation guys

Yup. We’ll have to deal with getting the Gore’s and Deen’s of the world. In other words, barely serviceable rotation guys
The portal is a huge issue and the people that keep saying “fix x issue in the portal” so nonchalantly are insane

I’m very concerned about QB as well

Advertisement
SmartSelect_20231015_104805_Video Player.gif

We may potentially have another roster turnover year of 30-40. Crazy.
Not to quote Al Golden but to me there’s a huge cloud hanging over us

What I mean is we’ve had these blips on the radar both good and bad over the years that really were just symptoms of the bigger problems

I’m not seeing any real progress yet with Mario and that’s exactly what my guy @RiDLer80 here was getting at from the jump

The improvements we are seeing this year to me have to do with Guidry and Dawson being upgrades over Steele and Gattis but that’s not the type of progress you want to see fundamentally

Progress like that can be undone in one off-season if they go elsewhere and we make more ****** hires

Last years recruiting class was strong, but as far as the team on the field I’m not seeing progress and I can’t sit here and pretend it’s because we still have “Manny players”

Last edited:
Advertisement

In terms of pass rushing, I think Bain is already número uno. Kelly flashes but needs more consistency. He also gets washed in the run game at times.

The problem I have is at some point, you can only sell so much with nothing concrete to show for it. The 2023 class, Mario can use the excuse that the team wasn’t his guys. Then he had a whole season to bring in 40+ new bodies and filter out the “trash”. Is it enough time to flip a roster? Probably not, but OU and even UF are on an upward trajectory in Year 2.

He’s obviously going to get multiple years to bring in his guys, and while I’m highly skeptical this class finishes in the Top 12 when it’s all said and done, this team should still look better in ‘24. Issues are the glaring lack of quality and depth and key positions, the same ones we’ve been *****ing about for years. At some point, it all falls on Mario to address these issues, which includes evaluating the coaches/recruiters at those positions.

Advertisement

DT shouldn't be a concern. Mario will reinvent the wheel. Just look at what he's orchestrated offensively. He's making OL out of WR's and everything in between. Only allowed x amount of OL, no problem, he's got the solution.

I'm sure he can and will attack the DT position with the same vigor and originality. It's a process.

Advertisement
Back