Managing the salary cap

People rank a position over QB? Over the past years, we had Hurts, Tua, Mac Jones, Deshaun Watson and Joe Burrow win national titles and people rank DL over that?

What was the last team to win a national championship without a stud DL?

Still haven’t gotten an answer to that question. We don’t have to go very far back for QB.

Advertisement
What was the last team to win a national championship without a stud DL?

Still haven’t gotten an answer to that question. We don’t have to go very far for QB.
LSU. Alabama a year later with Mac Jones.

Its no coincidence that the playoff teams usually have elite quarterbacks.

And people who want to use Georgia as an example: How often do you think you have A GROUP of these players assembled at the same time?

By the way, for all this talk about the “playoff era” being different, here are some QBs who have held the trophy in the playoff era:

Stetson Bennett, Jacob Coker, Cardale Jones.

Luckily, they had the likes of Joey Bosa, Travon Walker, Jordan Davis, Daron Payne, Jonathan Allen and more.

LSU and Alabama both had first-round pass rushers and a ton of other blue-chippers.

Those schools have been buying the top DL for the entirety of their runs. Alabama almost got the death penalty for trying to pay for Albert Means and LSU started their run by bagging up Marcus Spears.

Advertisement

Its no coincidence that the playoff teams usually have elite quarterbacks.

And people who want to use Georgia as an example: How often do you think you have A GROUP of these players assembled at the same time?
That Bama line is about to have 2 second round draft picks and a 1st rounder...and thats off head. Anderson may end up the #1 pick. The other 2 were second round picks already.

Salary cap in college sports , doesn’t that sound weird, soon arbitration then a strike or am I to late?

GOCANES

I don’t see how a salary cap works without the FBI and IRS going hard after the bags. All you’ll get with a salary cap is a combination of both NIL and booster money. We know the NCAA won’t do anything about the latter.

And had our best season in 15 years the prior season with Rosier. The five NFL DL helped.
I think this actually proves the point of LCE. The defensive talent of the 2017-18 teams were comparable, in fact I’d argue 2018 was better mainly because of experience.

the falloff came from QB play, and looking back at 2017 receiving core of Berrios, Richards, Jeff thomas, Chris Herndon, not sure we appreciated at the time how talented a group that was. Only Thomas came back the next year

I think this actually proves the point of LCE. The defensive talent of the 2017-18 teams were comparable, in fact I’d argue 2018 was better mainly because of experience.

the falloff came from QB play, and looking back at 2017 receiving core of Berrios, Richards, Jeff thomas, Chris Herndon, not sure we appreciated at the time how talented a group that was. Only Thomas came back the next year

But when you remove DL play, you can’t compete. Look at us this year with an elite QB and bad DL. We won 7 games.

We had our best season in 15 years with a G5 talent at QB and a top DL.

Advertisement
That Bama line is about to have 2 second round draft picks and a 1st rounder...and thats off head. Anderson may end up the #1 pick. The other 2 were second round picks already.
At that point where they won, they werent a stud D-Line.

But when you remove DL play, you can’t compete. Look at us this year with an elite QB and bad DL. We won 7 games.

We had our best season in 15 years with a G5 talent at QB and a top DL.
We won 7 games in 2018 too, same as 2021. I think the answer in modern football is you need both to be good, unless you have a generational defense like UGA or QB/offense like LSU in 2019 Where you can offset weakness on the other side.

LSU and Alabama both had first-round pass rushers and a ton of other blue-chippers.

Those schools have been buying the top DL for the entirety of their runs. Alabama almost got the death penalty for trying to pay for Albert Means and LSU started their run by bagging up Marcus Spears.
Yet the stars of the team were clearly somewhere else to find...

Advertisement
To me, QB first, everything else second.

But, to get on a line with D-Money:

Both Is Good The Road To El Dorado GIF

Advertisement
Dmoney considering all the portal talent we are bringing in, how do you see our Dline as compared to that successful year with Rosier?

Dmoney considering all the portal talent we are bringing in, how do you see our Dline as compared to that successful year with Rosier?

Good question. Probably not as talented. I don’t see 5 NFLers yet but it’s early for some of them. At least we’ve gotten competitive.

Good question. Probably not as talented. I don’t see 5 NFLers yet but it’s early for some of them. At least we’ve gotten competitive.

Really? I see 3 for sure (DJ, mesidor, Taylor), 1 real likely (agude) snd I think JL has a shot.

Advertisement
Back