Managing the salary cap

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
There has been a lot of discussion about QB recruits signing 7-figure NIL deals. It got me thinking- since money is not unlimited, what is the most important place to focus NIL resources? I went and compared five-star QBs and DL from 2016-2020. Since there are more DL than QBs, I used the Top 5 QBs every year even if a couple were high 4-stars.

The list is below with draft spot in parentheses. First rounders and projected '23 first rounders (per Dane Brugler in the Athletic) are bolded. Based on this, it seems the smart money is spent on five-star DL. That is the traditional bag spot and there is a method behind the madness.

QB

Shea Patterson
Jacob Eason (4th)
KJ Costello
Malik Henry
Feleipe Franks
Davis Mills (3rd)
Hunter Johnson
Tua Tagovailoa (1st)
Jake Fromm (5th)
Tate Martell
Trevor Lawrence (1st)
Justin Fields (1st)
JT Daniels
Dorian Thompson-Robinson
Justin Rogers
Spencer Rattler
Bo Nix
Jayden Daniels
Ryan Hilinski
Graham Mertz
Bryce Young (projected 1st)
DJ Uiagalelei
CJ Stroud (projected 1st)
Hudson Card
Ja’Quinden Jackson

DL

Rashan Gary
(1st)
Dexter Lawrence (1st)
Ed Oliver (1st)
Nick Bosa (1st)
Derrick Brown (1st)
Oluwole Betiku
Jeffery Simmons (1st)
McTelvin Agim (3rd)
Rashard Lawrence (4th)
Benito Jones
Jaelan Phillips (1st)
Marvin Wilson
Chase Young (1st)
Joshua Kaindoh (4th)
Aubrey Solomon
AJ Espenesa (2nd)
LaBryan Ray
Xavier Thomas
Eyabi Anoma
Micah Parsons (1st)
KJ Henry
Taron Vincent
Brenton Cox
Nolan Smith (projected 1st)
Kayvon Thibodeaux (1st)
Antonio Alfano
Zacch Pickens (projected 1st)
Zach Harrison (projected 1st)
Travon Walker (1st)
Christopher Hinton
Bryan Breese (projected 1st)
Myles Murphy (projected 1st)
Jordan Burch
Gervon Dexter
Will Anderson (projected 1st)
Jalen Carter (projected 1st)
Chris Braswell
Sav'ell Smalls

Advertisement
3 most important positions are QB, DL, and WR. The problem with saying DL over QB it's rare that you have a one man wrecking crew. You need to have solid players across the board unless you can get an Aaron Donald once in a generation type.

Advertisement
Advertisement
WR is higher on the list than people want to admit. Can change your entire offense

Agreed, especially with a QB talent like TVD. It may sound like hyperbole, but given who we have at QB, I think a WR like Addison would be the difference between a 9 win season and the playoffs next season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
You think Clemson had an elite OL in 2016 and 2018? I would say it was above average but nowhere near elite.
It was a very good college line. A good “ unit”. Just because there wasn’t a bunch of pros on the line doesn’t mean that wasn‘t a very good college Ol. They also had arguably one of the best DL’s ever. Football will always be dictated by trenches and qb play, that will never change.

It was a very good college line. A good “ unit”. Just because there wasn’t a bunch of pros on the line doesn’t mean that wasn‘t a very good college Ol. They also had arguably one of the best DL’s ever. Football will always be dictated by trenches and qb play, that will never change.
That was a great OL. They neutralized a talented Bama DL.

Very good isn't elite though. From 2016 to 2021 they had a 2nd rounder, 4th rounder, and 7th rounder drafted from their OL. If I'm looking at where to spend my money, I can see that a team was able to be nationally competitive without having a bunch of 5 stars (who cost a mint) across the OL. Being Bama or UGA and stacking 5 star OL 3 deep isn't something most programs can do. Fortunately, Clemson showed you can build a OL that is "college good" and win a title with 4 star O linemen playing as a well coached, cohesive unit. On defense though, I think you have to spend $$$ for those 5 star DEs and DTs.
If I had a finite budget for NIL and could either get

1. a 5 star OL and a 4 star DT OR
2. a 4 star OL and 5 star DT

Im picking option 2 every time.

Last edited:
A great Ol makes qb’s , wr’s and backs look dramatically better. A great front four makes the entire back seven look better. A great cb can’t make a dl look better. The difference between a good dl and bad dl is snap of a finger. A great wr can’t make a bad Ol or qb look good but vice versa does. I know we live in a seven on seven and fantasy football world but never get it twisted.

Advertisement
Back