Managing the salary cap

1. QB
2. WR
3. CB
4. DE
5. OL

28 WR’s drafted, 6 in the 1st round, 7 in the 2nd.

Since the start of the CFP era in 2014, every team that has won a Natty used the same formula except one & that was UGA. But every other team won with Elite QB play, Elite WR play & good enough Defense.

UGA was really the outlier last year, but all of Bama’s championship teams(in the Playoff era) were QB/WR lead & same with Clemson, LSU & OH ST.

Most teams have a predetermined ceiling when using the pound the rock method, unless you have a UGA caliber Defense.

Exactly, I'd move DE over CB but the gap isn't big. The days of building around OL and running game are 10 years past. Elite teams have both but great teams have QB/WR that can takeover.

Advertisement
There has been a lot of discussion about QB recruits signing 7-figure NIL deals. It got me thinking- since money is not unlimited, what is the most important place to focus NIL resources? I went and compared five-star QBs and DL from 2016-2020. Since there are more DL than QBs, I used the Top 5 QBs every year even if a couple were high 4-stars.

The list is below with draft spot in parentheses. First rounders and projected '23 first rounders (per Dane Brugler in the Athletic) are bolded. Based on this, it seems the smart money is spent on five-star DL. That is the traditional bag spot and there is a method behind the madness.

QB

Shea Patterson
Jacob Eason (4th)
KJ Costello
Malik Henry
Feleipe Franks
Davis Mills (3rd)
Hunter Johnson
Tua Tagovailoa (1st)
Jake Fromm (5th)
Tate Martell
Trevor Lawrence (1st)
Justin Fields (1st)
JT Daniels
Dorian Thompson-Robinson
Justin Rogers
Spencer Rattler
Bo Nix
Jayden Daniels
Ryan Hilinski
Graham Mertz
Bryce Young (projected 1st)
DJ Uiagalelei
CJ Stroud (projected 1st)
Hudson Card
Ja’Quinden Jackson

DL

Rashan Gary
(1st)
Dexter Lawrence (1st)
Ed Oliver (1st)
Nick Bosa (1st)
Derrick Brown (1st)
Oluwole Betiku
Jeffery Simmons (1st)
McTelvin Agim (3rd)
Rashard Lawrence (4th)
Benito Jones
Jaelan Phillips (1st)
Marvin Wilson
Chase Young (1st)
Joshua Kaindoh (4th)
Aubrey Solomon
AJ Espenesa (2nd)
LaBryan Ray
Xavier Thomas
Eyabi Anoma
Micah Parsons (1st)
KJ Henry
Taron Vincent
Brenton Cox
Nolan Smith (projected 1st)
Kayvon Thibodeaux (1st)
Antonio Alfano
Zacch Pickens (projected 1st)
Zach Harrison (projected 1st)
Travon Walker (1st)
Christopher Hinton
Bryan Breese (projected 1st)
Myles Murphy (projected 1st)
Jordan Burch
Gervon Dexter
Will Anderson (projected 1st)
Jalen Carter (projected 1st)
Chris Braswell
Sav'ell Smalls
Yes 1000000% agreed. If I am Mario this is my focus. Looking at the transfer portal additions @DMoney the man agrees with you.

Go look at the highest paid players in football and tell me what matters most?Then take qb’s out and see who has the most. You’ll see a lot of guys who are paid to get to the qb and protect the qb. Weird.
I'm sure you had good intentions but QB ,WR, Pass rushers are top 3 highest paid OL are 4th or 5th

Advertisement
NFL is a quarterback driven league. College football is about talent acquisition at DL/OL and depth across your roster. You need a good qb but you don’t need Pat Mahomes to win a championship. However, if you have a QB and depth in the tranches you’ll compete for a championship every year.

Go look at the highest paid players in football and tell me what matters most?Then take qb’s out and see who has the most. You’ll see a lot of guys who are paid to get to the qb and protect the qb. Weird.
I think that’s going to change soon though. AJ Brown just got a $100 Million. He’s good but that’s still a big tag for him. Guys like Jefferson and Chase are probably going to $200 Million.

I made this thread ten years ago and it's still true. Defensive line is the most important position for championships.

Bad QBs win titles. Look at Georgia this year and some of the other teams on this list. Even bad coaches win titles. But teams need great defensive linemen to win titles. It's the separator and the most expensive commodity. WR has been extremely important lately, but the importance of DL goes back decades.

Miami 2001- William Joseph (1st), Vince Wilfork (1st), Jerome McDougle (1st), Andrew Williams (3rd)
OSU 2002- Will Smith (1st), Kenny Peterson (3rd), Tim Anderson (3rd), Darrion Scott (3rd)
USC 2003- Keneche Udeze (1st), Mike Patterson (1st), Shaun Cody (2nd), Frostee Rucker (3rd)
LSU 2003- Marcus Spears, (1st) Kyle Williams, (5th- All Pro), Marquise Hill (2nd)
USC 2004 - Mike Patterson (1st), Shaun Cody (2nd), Frostee Rucker (3rd)
Texas 2005- Brian Orapko (1st), Tim Crowder (2nd), Brian Robison (4th)
Alabama 2006- Derrick Harvey (1st), Jarvis Moss (1st), Ray McDonald (3rd)
LSU 2007- Tyson Jackson (1st), Glenn Dorsey (1st)
Florida 2008- Carlos Dunlap (2nd), Jermaine Cunningham (2nd)
Alabama 2009- Marcell Dareus (1st), Terrance Cody (2nd)
Auburn 2010- Nick Fairley (1st)
Alabama 2011-2012- Courtney Upshaw (2nd), Jesse Williams (5th), Damion Square (8-year pro), Josh Chapman (5th), Ed Stinson (5th)
FSU 2013- Eddie Goldman (2nd), Timmy Jernigan (2), Mario Edwards (2), DeMarcus Walker (2nd)
OSU 2014- Joey Bosa (1), Adolphus Washington (3), Michael Bennett (6)
Alabama 2015- Jonathan Allen (1st), A'Shawn Robinson (2), Jarran Reed (2), Daron Payne (1), Dalvin Tomlinson (2)
Clemson 2016- Christian Wilkins (1), Dexter Lawrence (1), Clelin Ferrell (1), Carlos Watkins (4)
Alabama 2017- Daron Payne (1), Raekwon Davis (2nd), Quinnen Williams (1st), Da'Shawn Hand (4),
Clemson 2018- Clelin Ferrell (1), Christian Wilkins (1), Dexter Lawrence (1), Austin Bryant (4)
LSU 2019- K'Lavon Chaisson (1), Tyler Shelvin (4), Rashard Lawrence (4), Neil Farrell Jr. (4th)
Alabama 2020- Will Anderson (future Top 5 pick), Christian Barmore (2), Phidarian Mathis (2nd)
Georgia 2021- Travon Walker (1st), Jordan Davis (1st), Devonte Wyatt (1st), Jalen Carter (future 1st), Nolan Smith (future 1st)

Advertisement
Clemson been whooping the **** out of our behinds since 2015 and the best WR they had since then was Hunter Renfrow. Please build how they did 😂

1. OL & DL
2. QB
3. WR
4. QB

This is for college so their pro prospects aren't at the top of my concerns, though I understand there is usually a direct correlation.

For what Mario seems to want on offense I'd say getting top talent at QB, OL & WR is the most important thing. It seems to make things more difficult for the QB than last years RPO, tempo based offense with quick reads.

Specifically regarding the O: pay the QB, OL & WR whatever you can afford. Every year.

I think that’s going to change soon though. AJ Brown just got a $100 Million. He’s good but that’s still a big tag for him. Guys like Jefferson and Chase are probably going to $200 Million.
The Game centers around the qb, protecting the qb and getting to the qb. Those areas will always be the highest paid spots. History frowns on teams who blow a chunk of their cap on a wr.

Advertisement
I made this thread ten years ago and it's still true. Defensive line is the most important position for championships.

Bad QBs win titles. Look at Georgia this year and some of the other teams on this list. Even bad coaches win titles. But teams need great defensive linemen to win titles. It's the separator and the most expensive commodity. WR has been extremely important lately, but the importance of DL goes back decades.

Miami 2001- William Joseph (1st), Vince Wilfork (1st), Jerome McDougle (1st), Andrew Williams (3rd)
OSU 2002- Will Smith (1st), Kenny Peterson (3rd), Tim Anderson (3rd), Darrion Scott (3rd)
USC 2003- Keneche Udeze (1st), Mike Patterson (1st), Shaun Cody (2nd), Frostee Rucker (3rd)
LSU 2003- Marcus Spears, (1st) Kyle Williams, (5th- All Pro), Marquise Hill (2nd)
Alabama 2011-2012- Courtney Upshaw (2nd), Jesse Williams (5th), Damion Square (8-year pro), Josh Chapman (5th), Ed Stinson (5th)
FSU 2013- Eddie Goldman (2nd), Timmy Jernigan (2), Mario Edwards (2), DeMarcus Walker (2nd)
Alabama 2015- Jonathan Allen (1st), A'Shawn Robinson (2), Jarran Reed (2), Daron Payne (1), Dalvin Tomlinson (2)
Clemson 2016- Christian Wilkins (1), Dexter Lawrence (1), Clelin Ferrell (1), Carlos Watkins (4)
Alabama 2017- Daron Payne (1), Raekwon Davis (2nd), Quinnen Williams (1st), Da'Shawn Hand (4),
Clemson 2018- Clelin Ferrell (1), Christian Wilkins (1), Dexter Lawrence (1), Austin Bryant (4)
LSU 2019- K'Lavon Chaisson (1), Tyler Shelvin (4), Rashard Lawrence (4), Neil Farrell Jr. (4th)
Alabama 2020- Will Anderson (future Top 5 pick), Christian Barmore (2), Phidarian Mathis (2nd)
Georgia 2021- Travon Walker (1st), Jordan Davis (1st), Devonte Wyatt (1st), Jalen Carter (future 1st), Nolan Smith (future 1st)

A great DL is the biggest advantage you can have in football. Just keep it basic and let the dogs win their individual matchups. No blitzing, no creative coverages or taking chances. The dl makes everything in the back seven far simpler when they dominate.

The best and most consistent teams normally dominate both trenches especially the defensive. No matter how much football changes that’ll always be the biggest key.

You know and I know Georgia doesn't win with that pedestrian QB had the Bama WRs not gotten hurt. Having a pedestrian QB win a NC is an anomaly these days.

2020-Mac Jones
2019-Joe Burrough
2018-Trevor Lawrence
2017-Tua Tonguviala
2016-Deshaun Watson

2022-IMO is a battle between Bryce Young and C.J. Stroud the top 2 QB's slated for 2023 NFL draft.

I see a common theme. FIRST round QBs are the ones winning the National Titles.

Clemson 2017 to 2018 showed an elite DL couldn't do it themselves, they go from scoring 6 against Alabama in Sugar Bowl to 44 points in one year by switching Kelly Bryant for Trevor Lawrence.

Now ideally you want an elite QB and elite DL.

Advertisement
Having a pedestrian QB win a NC is an anomaly these days.
Georgia won this year with a walk-on. Alabama and LSU won a combined 7 titles between 2002-2015 with average QBs. Ohio State beat us with a terrible QB and a great DL. Ohio State won another title with their third-string QB.

Now show me a single team that won a national title without stud DL.

The Game centers around the qb, protecting the qb and getting to the qb. Those areas will always be the highest paid spots. History frowns on teams who blow a chunk of their cap on a wr.
Personally I see the game moving to needing a bonafide WR1 to have real success. I don’t believe a WR is more valuable than a DE or OT but they hold the same value. The game has changed to where WRs will start getting huge deals at age 25 not 30. I’d have no problem paying a 25 y/o Jefferson $200 Million, just like I wouldn’t have a problem paying Bosa $200 Million. But at age 30 no chance I’d pay a WR premium money for 5 years, like LV did with Adams.

Advertisement
Back