Managing the salary cap

Advertisement
2016 - Deshaun Watson, Mike Williams, Deon Cain, Ray Ray MCloud & Hunter Renfrow
2017 - Kelly Bryant, RayRay McCloud, Hunter Renfrow, Deon Cain, Tee Higgins
2018 - Trevor Lawrence, Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross, Hunter Renfrow, Trevion Thompson
2019 - Trevor Lawrence, Justyn Ross, Tee Higgins, Diondre Overton, Joseph Ngata
2020 - Trevor Lawrence, Cornell Powell, Braden Galloway, EJ Williams, Frank Ladson Jr
2021 - DJ Uiagalelei, Justyn Ross, Beaux Collins, Davis Allen, Joseph Ngata & Dacari Collins

They won National titles in 2016 & 2018, and made the playoffs in 2019.

The years they didn’t win a Natty or make the playoffs was when they didn’t have good NFL caliber QB’s & WR’s.

When they had Kelly Bryant, a good Defense & average WR’s they were capped at how far they could go, as soon as they got an elite QB, their WR’s increased their play & the were winning titles & contending on an annual basis.

Clemson had an elite Defense last year with NFL players in their secondary & the best DLine in the ACC, so why didn’t they win the conference last year??? DJ Ukulele can’t throw a ball 15 yards & their WR’s are pedestrian.

If we’re building like Clemson, then it start with QB & WR play, then Defense.
Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think any of the WRs names would be considered big bag targets for NILs if they were out now. Barring Tee Higgins the rest of the names *i personally* would not be pressed on getting here. I’d take Travis Etienne over most of those WR names

Looking at it slightly differently @Liberty City El & @DMoney (as we discussed this afternoon) the opportunity to evaluate elite dline prospects out of high school is much easier relative to other positions. Therefore if you have a finite amount of financial resources to allocate you allocate those resources to the dline. However, a player like Jaden Rashada seems like a Trevor Lawrence / Bryce young type talent. To LCEs point you take that all day long and you pair it up with the guys we want to bring in at WR… In short there’s a lot more opportunity to go wrong at 5 star QB than Dlineman

They still won 10 games.

We had TVD and the coach got fired.
Miami was a 3 win team without TVD though. Central Connecticut, App State and Duke were the only games we didn’t need to rely solely on offense to win. Our four other wins were because TVD and the passing game won us shootouts

Look at the 2018 Miami team. Best defense we had since the early 2000’s and we went 7-6 with Rosier and Perry at QB.
In 2019, Rousseau had 19.5TFL’s & 15.5 sacks plus we still had Trevon Hill, Jon Garvin, Shaq Quarterman, Mike Pinckney, Scott Patchan, Nesta Silvera & Pat Bethel.

Then in 2020, we could’ve had Greg Rousseau, Jaelan Phillips & Quincy Roche all on the field at the same time, but Covid happened, but our most productive WR was Mike Harley with 57 catches for 799 yards. Pur starting WR’s that year were Mark Pope, Dee Wiggins & Harley in the Slot.

Advertisement
It should be elite players based on current needs… we don’t need a starting QB so no need to pay a 5 star QB. Most Funds should go towards Nycolas Harbor, Cormani, Mpemba, Mauigoa, Sydir Mitchell, Malik Bryant, Innis, and Cedric Baxter.

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think any of the WRs names would be considered big bag targets for NILs if they were out now. Barring Tee Higgins the rest of the names *i personally* would not be pressed on getting here. I’d take Travis Etienne over most of those WR names

I agree with @DMoney..even in the NFL elite receivers don’t win Super Bowls..the rams of last year had the best dline..Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, chad Johnson, Julio Jones etc (I can name dozens) do not have super bowl rings..it’s dline and Qb

But that's not a fact, it's a guess. Georgia won. And not with an average QB. With a walk-on QB. In 2022.

The fact is that no team since 2000 has won without studs on the DL. Many teams have won bad/average QBs. But always a good DL.

Alabama has had an elite DL for the entirety of their dynasty. The QB thing is new. Their best player now is a DE, Will Anderson. He would've been the first overall pick this year, if eligible. Their second best player is probably the other DE. And they've had three second rounders and a third drafted in the past three years. They always have an elite DL.

K'Lavon Chaisson was a first rounder. They also had three guys who got picked in the fourth.

Clemson is a great example. During their four-year run, they had four first round DL, a second and a couple fourths. It is essential.
It's a fact to anyone who WATCHED the same exact teams a month earlier. You know the one where Alabama torched the supposed greatest Defense of all time, and little Stetson couldn't keep up on the scoreboard. Only thing changed was you took two Stud WRs off Alabama's team.

I will GUARANTEE you something D, Miami Will NOT ever win another national title without an elite QB. Again I love elite DL's, but you can be elite all day on DL if you don't have an elite QB it won't matter unless you get extremely lucky like UGA did. It's not 2007 again. If Kirby thinks he can replicate that formula again for a national title he will be sorely mistaken. In fact Saban is licking his chops to get UGA this year and lay half a hundie on them.

Chaison was listed as a LB in college and now in NFL. Still I know you're not hanging your hat on that LSU DL the driving force behind that team.

Alabama has had Elite level DL, but not loaded across the board with first rounders that is a fact.

Clemson is a great example of my point!! I just explained that look at their 2017 and 2018 teams playing Alabama. Same DL both years different QB's. 24-6 loss vs. a 44-16 win.

This year Clemson may have the best DL in America. They are loaded. It won't matter if they don't get much better at QB.

Advertisement
The reason D line is so important is because that’s the ONLY way to stop a great QB. The best DBs can only cover for so long before and elite QB threads a pinpoint pass through their coverage. Edge players get drafted so high and paid so much because they’re the key to beating quarterbacks.

I agree with @DMoney..even in the NFL elite receivers don’t win Super Bowls..the rams of last year had the best dline..Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, chad Johnson, Julio Jones etc (I can name dozens) do not have super bowl rings..it’s dline and Qb

Uh… what exactly was Cooper Kupp last year?

Advertisement
You think Clemson had an elite OL in 2016 and 2018 when they won championships? I would say it was above average but nowhere near elite.
Clemson never will or have had an elite ol. They run a rinky dink offense and typically get the ball out within 4 seconds.

In their offense they have to hit on the qb. THEY HAVE FOR THE MOST PART GOING ON A DECADE. WR'S and QBS are more important in their o

Advertisement
I’m not saying that Defense or having a great DLine is insignificant, I’m saying that having great QB/WR play supersedes having a great Defense unless you have an elite roster everywhere else.

Meaning, you can have an average Defense, but with great QB/WR play you’re more dangerous than a team with a great Defense with no QB/WR’s.

They’re both important, but QB/WR play (IN ANY ERA) is most important.
FIFY

Clemson is a great example but on the other end. Oklahoma has had some of the best QB/WR play and can’t get over the hump. The thing separate those two teams in regards to success is the NFL talent on Clemson D-Line when it was playoff time.
Oklahoma also routinely has nfl talent on their dline to.

Its just their conference is soft and non physical..and it gets exploited when facing acc or sec teams. Their back end is typically not up to par.

Clemson DL have been honestly above BAMA and UGA talent levels...its just not bragged on by ESPN pundits. Bama every other year have issues with legitimate pass rush without blitzing. Clemson hasnt had that issue for awhile...And UGA bought up everything 3 years ago on the DL and LB and it came to fruition finally last year so much so that they won with sh*tty qb play because of Bama having their best wrs out

This convo just reminds me that football is ******* awesome. There’s so many great players teams and performances.

UGA and Stetson.
Joey B.
Henry.
Deshaun.
Watching FSU SUCK.

Look at God.

It's a fact to anyone who WATCHED the same exact teams a month earlier. You know the one where Alabama torched the supposed greatest Defense of all time, and little Stetson couldn't keep up on the scoreboard. Only thing changed was you took two Stud WRs off Alabama's team.

I will GUARANTEE you something D, Miami Will NOT ever win another national title without an elite QB. Again I love elite DL's, but you can be elite all day on DL if you don't have an elite QB it won't matter unless you get extremely lucky like UGA did. It's not 2007 again. If Kirby thinks he can replicate that formula again for a national title he will be sorely mistaken. In fact Saban is licking his chops to get UGA this year and lay half a hundie on them.

Chaison was listed as a LB in college and now in NFL. Still I know you're not hanging your hat on that LSU DL the driving force behind that team.

Alabama has had Elite level DL, but not loaded across the board with first rounders that is a fact.

Clemson is a great example of my point!! I just explained that look at their 2017 and 2018 teams playing Alabama. Same DL both years different QB's. 24-6 loss vs. a 44-16 win.

This year Clemson may have the best DL in America. They are loaded. It won't matter if they don't get much better at QB.

You’re a great poster and you always speak facts. The reality is you better have an elite QB and an elite DL if you want to beat these Alabama super teams. That’s what Clemson had when they beat them.

But even in the playoff era, we’ve seen backup QBs at Ohio State and Georgia win it all. It’s rare but it happens. I’ve NEVER seen a team without war daddies win it.

And a team like Oklahoma- which has elite QBs, RBs, WRs and OL- will always be considered a fraud because they lack the studs up front. It’s table stakes to win a title. That’s why it draws the biggest bags.

Advertisement
Back