Managing the salary cap

Thinking about it a little further, I also think you should pay more for a top high school RB, WR and CB than their calculated value because those are positions where they could start right away if needed. Linemen and QB take more time to develop. So you underweight them out of high school and pay more out of portal if your evals are off.

Advertisement
They still win 10 games and have won plenty of titles with elite defensive play. Exception, not rule.
Clemson doesn’t make the playoffs in any of their title runs without Deshaun Watson, Trevor Lawrence & their WR’s.

I understand the importance of DL’s, I really really do. But undervaluing the QB is big mistake if that’s the direction yall want this program to be headed in. Trying to replicate UGA’s model of building takes a much longer time to get right than get a good QB & giving him weapons to operate a high powered offense.

If the goal is to take 5 years to sign 10 elite 5-star DL’s in order to have a strong enough Defense to where it doesn’t matter if we have an average QB or not, then yall are right, allocate all the funds on the trenches & figure out the rest later. But, if the goal is to win as fast as possible, Miami’s best bet is to take the momentum we have with finally finding good QB’s & parlaying that into being a destination place for impact offensive players & win as many games as we can while fully completing the transition into being a SEC team.

Recruiting & signing a SEC caliber DLine costs a lot of money & takes a lot more time to do, finding a big time QB either from HS or via Portal & then giving him some big play WR’s can be done in one offseason.

TAMU has signed over 20+ 4/5-star DL’s in the last 2-3 years & no one even remotely considers them a legit contender to come out of the West or make the playoffs, because they still don’t have a decent QB & their offense has very little firepower. They’re a team that will bludgeon you to death in the trenches & grind out 1 score victories against teams they should beat handily & then when they play in big games that matter where strengths are neutralized, they won’t be able to throw a counter punch because all they can do is Run & stop the run.

TAMU had the #3 ranked Defense in the Nation last year, still lost 4 games; they have 15 5-star DL’s & they’re still going to lose at least 3 games this year. Because they can’t do anything else besides try to suffocate you to death lol.

Yes DL’s are very very important, but QB’s change the entire trajectory of your program. The only reason why any of us even think Miami can win more than 8 games this season is because of TVD, not because of our DLine lol. TVD is our wildcard that gives us a shot against anybody we play this year, he’s the primary reason why anyone has us possibly winning the Coastal.

You know who has the #6 & #7 ranked Defenses in the Nation? Wisconsin & Penn ST. Are either one looked at to win the B1G or make the playoffs? Why?... Exactly.

Clemson doesn’t make the playoffs in any of their title runs without Deshaun Watson, Trevor Lawrence & their WR’s.

I understand the importance of DL’s, I really really do. But undervaluing the QB is big mistake if that’s the direction yall want this program to be headed in. Trying to replicate UGA’s model of building takes a much longer time to get right than get a good QB & giving him weapons to operate a high powered offense.

If the goal is to take 5 years to sign 10 elite 5-star DL’s in order to have a strong enough Defense to where it doesn’t matter if we have an average QB or not, then yall are right, allocate all the funds on the trenches & figure out the rest later. But, if the goal is to win as fast as possible, Miami’s best bet is to take the momentum we have with finally finding good QB’s & parlaying that into being a destination place for impact offensive players & win as many games as we can while fully completing the transition into being a SEC team.

Recruiting & signing a SEC caliber DLine costs a lot of money & takes a lot more time to do, finding a big time QB either from HS or via Portal & then giving him some big play WR’s can be done in one offseason.

TAMU has signed over 20+ 4/5-star DL’s in the last 2-3 years & no one even remotely considers them a legit contender to come out of the West or make the playoffs, because they still don’t have a decent QB & their offense has very little firepower. They’re a team that will bludgeon you to death in the trenches & grind out 1 score victories against teams they should beat handily & then when they play in big games that matter where strengths are neutralized, they won’t be able to throw a counter punch because all they can do is Run & stop the run.

TAMU had the #3 ranked Defense in the Nation last year, still lost 4 games; they have 15 5-star DL’s & they’re still going to lose at least 3 games this year. Because they can’t do anything else besides try to suffocate you to death lol.

Yes DL’s are very very important, but QB’s change the entire trajectory of your program. The only reason why any of us even think Miami can win more than 8 games this season is because of TVD, not because of our DLine lol. TVD is our wildcard that gives us a shot against anybody we play this year, he’s the primary reason why anyone has us possibly winning the Coastal.

You know who has the #6 & #7 ranked Defenses in the Nation? Wisconsin & Penn ST. Are either one looked at to win the B1G or make the playoffs? Why?... Exactly.
I agree the QB play is incredibly important but no one wins a championship without a top tier Defense. If not, OU would win a championship every year with all their Heisman QB’s. You need both.

Maybe I've confused the discussion in this thread. I haven't been valuing the positions in terms of importance, but rather how a business owner might prioritize his NIL money if he wants to get the best ROI (advertising exposure). I wouldnt give a 2 mil NIL deal to a 5 star HS QB recruit because it's too hard to evaluate the position. Decent chance that 5 star QB will get beat out by a 3 or 4 star QB on the roster, and the businessman will have a wasted a lot of NIL money for a guy sitting on the bench. I think a 5 star war daddy NT will have a much higher likelihood of being a stud and living up to the NIL deal out of high school. A 5 star DE also would have a lower chance of being a bust. A QB is a bigger game changer than a NT or DE, but the risk of being a bust is too high to give a QB out of HS a huge NIL deal. Now if a stud, proven QB is on the transfer market (like a Deriq King or Jalen Hurts), I would absolutely think the transfer QB is worth big time NIL money.

Everything you wrote may be true. But do you put that type of money into a top 2023 high school QB like Rashada who is probably sitting a year behind Garcia and may sit an additional year or two behind Brown. Or do you take a development kid this year and space out the big bets?

Also, is portal the better way to go versus high school given the size of the NIL deal needed for a top 3 QB?

Advertisement
Everything you wrote may be true. But do you put that type of money into a top 2023 high school QB like Rashada who is probably sitting a year behind Garcia and may sit an additional year or two behind Brown. Or do you take a development kid this year and space out the big bets?

Also, is portal the better way to go versus high school given the size of the NIL deal needed for a top 3 QB?
It depends on what you want to be as a program...

If you want to be a team that doesn’t need a QB, then no, don’t spend the money on the QB.

If you’re trying to justify missing on a top tier QB, then take the developmental kid & hope whoever you already have is as good as advertised, because otherwise you’ll be back to square one with lower level talent in your QB room.

I’m speaking in generalities, but if we’re going to make it specifically about Miami, in this scenario Rashada has without question better arm talent than Jacurri Brown, so it’s no guarantee he sits behind him at all, especially in an open competition & as far as Garcia it remains to be seen what he actually does in college, same with Rashada. If the coaches believe Garcia is as good as advertised then you don’t have to spend that much on Rashada, but in the interest of creating elite competition you shouldn’t pass up on him simply due to money.

Elite teams find a way to sign good players at each position on an annual basis, so while people seem to think that you can’t have more than one good QB, the best teams have figured out how to replenish their QB’s every year. Bama didn’t replace Tua with a developmental QB, OH ST didn’t replace Justin Fields with a developmental kid, Clemson replaced Lawrence with Ukulele (who definitely sucks lol) but they’re not replacing him with a developmental kid, they signed another 5-star in Klubnik & already beginning the process of replacing him.

The Portal is an alternative to HS QB recruiting, but if the goal is to be a team that recruits at a high enough rate to raise the floor of your team then you find yourself in a conundrum trying to build a championship team with developmental QB’s.

It just all comes down to what the aim is... if the goal is trying to win the ACC & make the playoffs we’re probably gonna need a halfway decent QB. But if we’re following the UGA model of building then maybe not 🤷🏽‍♂️ lol

Maybe I've confused the discussion in this thread. I haven't been valuing the positions in terms of importance, but rather how a business owner might prioritize his NIL money if he wants to get the best ROI (advertising exposure). I wouldnt give a 2 mil NIL deal to a 5 star HS QB recruit because it's too hard to evaluate the position. Decent chance that 5 star QB will get beat out by a 3 or 4 star QB on the roster, and the businessman will have a wasted a lot of NIL money for a guy sitting on the bench. I think a 5 star war daddy NT will have a much higher likelihood of being a stud and living up to the NIL deal out of high school. A 5 star DE also would have a lower chance of being a bust. A QB is a bigger game changer than a NT or DE, but the risk of being a bust is too high to give a QB out of HS a huge NIL deal. Now if a stud, proven QB is on the transfer market (like a Deriq King or Jalen Hurts), I would absolutely think the transfer QB is worth big time NIL money.
In terms of NIL value, I would allocate the most NIL investment to which players that contribute the most in producing the most wins.

On3 has a NIL valuation section on their site for how much each player is worth on the market:

A5681759-5AA8-4A5C-A407-032175D64AC8.jpeg
120FE74A-D621-4DF5-A253-AF9903F31F5C.jpeg
C1ADF991-6CB0-4CB3-8710-D60DE32B7AB4.jpeg
90CFDC2C-5D88-4035-8757-1F832BE3CB06.jpeg
4C302098-C033-46F7-8EC2-356BAEE9CB8E.jpeg

According to On3 among the top 25 most valuable HS players in terms of NIL valuation, 9 of the top 10 are QB’s & 5 of the top 25 are DL’s.

If we’re looking at it simply from a market share assessment, the question becomes how many W’s do Nose Tackles & DE’s produce on average? If you can replicate Travon Walker & Jordan Davis every class then the value of the positions when it comes to win-shares will no doubt increase, but if you’re divvying up how much of the pie each position will get in NIL funds, I would wager for most teams the QB’s will almost always get the most.

Except at UGA lol...

So just it comes down to which business model are we following & it sounds like you guys like UGA’s the best? If so, then I’m all for it, I just think it’s a little more difficult to do in the short term, but idk maybe I’m crazy lol 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:
I think the issue is that QBs are a crapshoot, especially out of HS. A top tier 5 star QB recruit out of HS is going to be in the market for a 7 figure deal (rarely see a top tier QB go into the portal). I'm not saying the QBs aren't valuable, just that it's such a hard position to evaluate that I wouldn't feel comfortable giving a huge NIL deal to a 5 star QB out of HS.

I wouldn't have any issue with giving a significant NIL deal to a 5 star DT or DE out of HS, however. I haven't looked at the numbers but my gut feeling is that a 5 star DT or DE is more likely to pan out than a 5 star QB.

This offseason there were rumors that Mims was looking at a 2 Mil NIL deal, and Addison up to 3 Mil. Im trying make this scientific like Jimmy Johnson did with scoring draft picks. Do you get value for your money. I think a top WR is worth 3 mil, but a top OL (especially one who hasn't started) is not.
Yeah, that’s all true. QBs fail all the time, and I’m not crazy about spending big on a kid who hasn’t proven he can do the job yet. That said, I believe QB is a much higher impact position than WR and I was specifically responding to people saying WR was more important. If you’ve got 2 guys who have shown they can perform, the QB is the better investment.

I’m with taking a development QB like TVD and Brown, guys who would will be 10% what a top 3 QB in the class commands if they were in the 2023 and beyond classes. You only need to hit on one every three years. Put the money in a portal QB if you strikeout.
This has been my position on the NFL draft for years. Top QBs cost way too much and set you back too far if they don’t pan out. Better to spend that money on defensive players and get 1-2 guys every year who are lower rated but have the tools to be great.

Advertisement
And one thing that’s getting lost in this is that the valuation should have to do with what the player can do for the company they sign with and only part of that depends on performance. An average QB is still more visible than a good DT so he’s probably worth more money from an advertising perspective. Therefor, I would think, and an NIL investor, I’d rather pay the QB big money. To my mind, the team wants wins and the company any wants exposure. Sure those go together, but position may matter as much or more than the win total.

In terms of NIL value, I would allocate the most NIL investment to which players that contribute the most in producing the most wins.

On3 has a NIL valuation section on their site for how much each player is worth on the market:

View attachment 185296View attachment 185297View attachment 185298View attachment 185299View attachment 185300

According to On3 among the top 25 most valuable HS players in terms of NIL valuation, 9 of the top 10 are QB’s & 5 of the top 25 are DL’s.

If we’re looking at it simply from a market share assessment, the question becomes how many W’s do Nose Tackles & DE’s produce on average? If you can replicate Travon Walker & Jordan Davis every class then the value of the positions when it comes to win-shares will no doubt increase, but if you’re divvying up how much of the pie each position will get in NIL funds, I would wager for most teams the QB’s will almost always get the most.

Except at UGA lol...

So just it comes down to which business model are we following & it sounds like you guys like UGA’s the best? If so, then I’m all for it, I just think it’s a little more difficult to do in the short term, but idk maybe I’m crazy lol 🤷🏽‍♂️

On3 is trying too hard lol. Do we really need NIL valuation projections? Kids are going to see their name or teammates and see a huge number and lose their minds or get huge heads. Maybe I'm just too old but I can't imagine being 16 years old seeing $240K next to my name lol.

Last edited:

View attachment 185296View attachment 185297View attachment 185298View attachment 185299View attachment 185300

Except at UGA lol...

I completely agree that QB is far and away the most important position. It is not even close.

That said, when you look at the bust rates in the OP for top quarterback prospects vs. top defensive lineman prospects, I think it’s reasonable to argue that you should allocate more resources to get top tier defensive lineman prospects because you’re more likely to generate a positive return on your investment.

You then need to identify the right QB prospects regardless of ranking. Easier said than done obviously.

Last edited:
Jones was 15 TDs and 7 INTs for his career. Third string on that team. He was not the type of QB people are describing in this thread. That team was good on offense because they had Ezekiel Elliott, Michael Thomas, Devin Smith and Curtis Samuel and a strong OL.

Coker was even worse. Does anybody think he was a high-level QB? He was an average dude on a great team.
I agree Jones and Coker weren't high level as the other QB's on the list of playoff QB's.

But Jones and Coker played at a high level in the playoffs and it was absolutely necessary to win, because neither were winning 21-17 type games. Cordele was drafted off that 3 game stretch, because he played at such a high level. His offense averaged 47 PPG.

Let's ask Nick Saban if he lost a player for the year Bryce Young or Will Anderson, which one he would pick. Bama can absolutely win a NC this year without Will Anderson, but they won't win without Bryce Young.

Clemson this year again a great test case, arguably the best DL, let's see if they win a NC without much improved QB play. In fact they may not even win the Atlantic if it doesn't improve.

Anyways I love the back and forth, and I agree elite DL's are important. I want Miami to have the most elite DL we can assemble.

We can agree to disagree, they both are important.

Advertisement

I really don't even know why it's up for debate. QB is 2x as valuable as any other position and worth as much as 25% of whatever "salary cap" would be in place.

Elite Qbs are in very limited supply and will have by far the biggest W/L impact on the team. As far as money is concerned it should be QB > CB/WR/EDGE > DL/OT > LB/S > iOL > ST.

I agree Jones and Coker weren't high level as the other QB's on the list of playoff QB's.

But Jones and Coker played at a high level in the playoffs and it was absolutely necessary to win, because neither were winning 21-17 type games. Cordele was drafted off that 3 game stretch, because he played at such a high level. His offense averaged 47 PPG.

Let's ask Nick Saban if he lost a player for the year Bryce Young or Will Anderson, which one he would pick. Bama can absolutely win a NC this year without Will Anderson, but they won't win without Bryce Young.

Clemson this year again a great test case, arguably the best DL, let's see if they win a NC without much improved QB play. In fact they may not even win the Atlantic if it doesn't improve.

Anyways I love the back and forth, and I agree elite DL's are important. I want Miami to have the most elite DL we can assemble.

We can agree to disagree, they both are important.
Nick Saban would say Will Anderson ill take that bet. That old foggie could care less about the qb spot...he'll plug in Jalen Milroe n ride it out. If he cant get the pass rush he wants his defense is screwed because little by little his secondary has become exploited.

With Clemson also...its a lil tricky.

Its not just qb play their wrs were pedestrian last year...wanna see it clearly. Last year Ladson was supposed to push to be their #1 or at worse #2...dude transfers here and we are clamoring for another wr transfer because he likely at this point isnt top 3 for us and we have a pedestrian group.

Except at UGA lol...

I get your point, but On3 is a bot driven joke. They are trying to go short on talent and long on algorithms and what you get is one of those celebrity net worth type sites that are all over the place, but generally always wrong. I don't give anything that they create or post a second of though. It's currently an experiment.

Advertisement
A great Ol makes qb’s , wr’s and backs look dramatically better. A great front four makes the entire back seven look better. A great cb can’t make a dl look better. The difference between a good dl and bad dl is snap of a finger. A great wr can’t make a bad Ol or qb look good but vice versa does. I know we live in a seven on seven and fantasy football world but never get it twisted.
I've been preaching the above to all the fantasy geeks I know with varying degrees of success. Most of the time however there is no getting through to fantasy nerds.

Nick Saban would say Will Anderson ill take that bet. That old foggie could care less about the qb spot...he'll plug in Jalen Milroe n ride it out. If he cant get the pass rush he wants his defense is screwed because little by little his secondary has become exploited.

With Clemson also...its a lil tricky.

Its not just qb play their wrs were pedestrian last year...wanna see it clearly. Last year Ladson was supposed to push to be their #1 or at worse #2...dude transfers here and we are clamoring for another wr transfer because he likely at this point isnt top 3 for us and we have a pedestrian group.
No chance. Saban has evolved as a coach. He knows offense wins you National Titles these days.

Check these quotes:

"
Alabama has always been known for its great defense during the Nick Saban era, but in recent years the Crimson Tide have won national titles because of their offense.

This past season, Alabama had an explosive offense that was led by Najee Harris, Mac Jones and DeVonta Smith. That unit averaged a whopping 48.5 points per game.

During a recent media session, Saban explained why his coaching philosophy changed. He admit that he saw the game changing due to run-pass options and plays of that sort.

"The game is different now, people score fast," Saban said. "I grew up with the idea that you play good defense, you run the ball, you control vertical field position on special teams and you're going to win. Whoever rushes the ball for the most yards is going to win the game. You're not going to win anything now doing that.

"With the way the spread is and the way the rules are that you can block downfield and throw the ball behind the line of scrimmage - those rules have changed college football. No-huddle fastball has changed college football. So I changed my philosophy about five or six years ago, maybe more than that. When Lane [Kiffin] came here, we said we have to outscore them."

People rank a position over QB? Over the past years, we had Hurts, Tua, Mac Jones, Deshaun Watson and Joe Burrow win national titles and people rank DL over that?
If anyone thinks that there’s a more important position than QB, they need to start watching football in 2022.

That wasn’t the question though. The question was do you spend big on a 5 star lineman or 5 star quarterback. Purely playing the odds, you’ll likely get more production from the lineman. QBs bust at a really high rate and you only play one at a time so it’s far too boom or bust to be putting your eggs in that basket.

And 10 the year before with a G5 talent at QB.

You don’t even have to go far back. We had great QB play in 2020 and 2021. The biggest difference was losing our stud DEs.

Manny’s failure to recruit stud DL (and LB) got him fired. He had QBs.
What was the difference between 2017 and 2018? The 2018 defense was better in almost every statistical category yet they won three fewer games. The offense fell off a cliff in 2018.

The 2017 Miami team went undefeated in one score games. If 2021 Miami would have done the same, they would have went 10-2. Also, the 2017 non conference schedule was Toledo and Bethune Cookman. The 2021 non conference schedule has Alabama and Michigan State.

Put TVD on the 2017 team and they’re in the playoffs. Take the best lineman from 2017 and put him on the 2021 team and the defense is a bit better but still bad.

Advertisement
Back