Malik Rosier on why TVD should start vs UNC

Advertisement
My concern with starting Jake is he throws a couple picks and then all **** breaks loose.
If he throws picks to be honest, yikes. You have to really try in order to not score on this defense.

Drew Pyne (ND): 24/34, 289 yds, 3 TD’s 0 INT’s
Chase Bryce (App): 25/36, 361 yds, 6 TD’s 1 INT’s
Jeremy Moussa (FAMU): 28/38, 279 yds, 2 TD’s 1 INT

Even Georgia St and their heavy rushing attack (54 rushing attempts for 235 yards) had their QB throw it a bit

Darren Grainger (GAst) 16/24, 186 yds, 3 TD’s 0 INT’s.

Their defense is atrocious. Atrocious doesn’t even do them justice.

Against FBS schools, they are:

- Dead last in opponent yards per game (547.8)
- 125th in points per game allowed (44.7)
- 118th in opponent yards per play (6.7)
- 120th in opponent completion percentage (69.15%, nice)
- 118th in opponent yards per rush (5.5)
- 128th in opponent rush yards / game (270)
- 97th in sack percentage (4.08%)

I could keep going, but there is no excuse to not score 35+. Coming off a bye week…absolutely no excuses.

I don’t care who the QB is - I lean Garcia If the toxic cliques will actually try when he plays - but there better be points.

Next 2 weeks should be open comp. Maybe other than Kam…. No one job spot should be safe.

Advertisement
My concern with starting Jake is he throws a couple picks and then all **** breaks loose.
What do you think happens if TVD throws another pick? The situation is tenuous at best right now. You have to go with the guy that gives you the best chance to win. I’m not saying that is Jake, but if one guy doesn’t perform, bring in the next guy. If they both can’t get it done, it’s time for Mario and Gattis to have a long look in the mirror. What I do know is that the offense, for whatever reason looked better under Jake last week.

Tommy Rees in two weeks took a kid who could not complete a 5 yard pass into 24/34 3TDs by simplifying his offense. Helps when you have Mayer.

Benching a QB who is poorly performing does not ruin them. Anyone that psychologically frail should probably not be your QB. QBs get benched all the time and face it from a young age. Benching gives them a chance to gather themselves, learn from their mistakes, and potentially perform better going forward. When that happens, what's important is that the staff does not lose confidence in the QB.

A key to QB success, as in life, is getting them confident and competent in what you ask them to do. TVD plays like he lacks confidence in what he is being asked to do. Either our coaches need to change him or the system.

Advertisement
I'm concerned that Mario is going to stick with TVD who will continue struggle in this offense, and then Garcia will get fed up/frustrated and transfer. That would be the worst case scenario. I don't expect Garcia to be a silver bullet that magically cures what ails this offense, but from what we've seen so far he looks more comfortable in the offense than TVD does. TVD is completely broken.

Takes one to know one?
the office fist bump GIF

Benching a QB who is poorly performing does not ruin them. Anyone that psychologically frail should probably not be your QB. QBs get benched all the time and face it from a young age. Benching gives them a chance to gather themselves, learn from their mistakes, and potentially perform better going forward. When that happens, what's important is that the staff does not lose confidence in the QB.

A key to QB success, as in life, is getting them confident and competent in what you ask them to do. TVD plays like he lacks confidence in what he is being asked to do. Either our coaches need to change him or the system.
Agreed

Though I think the question isn’t about TVDs psyche (well not to me anyway) as much as once you make this decision with Garcia…that’s it

But we’ve seen plenty of examples in the game of a QB getting benched and then returning and being better for it

I don’t question TVDs toughness at all

Advertisement
A lot of what he says is well thought out. Do you pull Jake if he sucks too?

Gattis is still the OC and the playbook is still the playbook.

I would still start Jake cuz TVD has missed even when Gattis gets out of his own way and we find WRs open
That’s what I keep saying. Gattis is definitely hot and cold BUT he does scheme WRs open and enough to be effective. TVD has consistently struggled to hit anybody let alone somebody with a small cushion. You can’t operate an offense like that.

I agree. You have to start TVD or risk ruining both QBs in one year. If you go to Garcia, it’s for good. This is a horrible predicament. I don’t think Jake will do much better in this offense. Not because of himself, but it’s not designed for success. If he struggles, then what?
I didn't rewatch yet, but if TVD can't make progressions, then he can't play. It is as simple as that, as far as I am concerned.

He locks on the first guy, and the windows in this offense are too small for him to consistently get the ball to his 1st target.

Jake looked much more comfortable.

Take away the pre-season accolades that were prematurely handed to TVD, and do you still want him out there? He honestly should get in the portal and go to a place that can better utilize his talents.

JMO, but give me Jake.

Advertisement
You start TVD if you are more concerned with optical bull**** than you are with beating North Carolina.

Having been there, as a coaching staff you don’t even THINK about starting Garcia over TVD unless you have a **** good answer as to WHY TVD is not playing well.

And the reason is not: he sucks, can’t throw, can’t read a defense, is not a good QB. Last year, he was rookie of the year in the ACC, and the numbers he put up, you’d have a hard time as a qb doing that against air. With a crap OL and a diaz defense to support him.

Either way, if you can’t as a staff answer that question first, with conviction, you’re going to be as screwed like a cheerleader on prom nite. You’re just going to be switching one problem for another that could end up looking like the same one you had in the first place.

Who starts is way down the line on the list.

Last edited:
How much of Rosier's opinion is molded by his personal experience of round-robin with n'kosi under richt?

I think a lot and I think it's justified. He has admitted that the round robin with Kosi and lack of certainty over who would start on any given day was very detrimental to his growth. You can argue that it can affect people differently but that was his expereince.

Not sure if he's a good teacher or not but many teachers have been crappy players in the past.

I didn't rewatch yet, but if TVD can't make progressions, then he can't play. It is as simple as that, as far as I am concerned.

He locks on the first guy, and the windows in this offense are too small for him to consistently get the ball to his 1st target.

Jake looked much more comfortable.

Take away the pre-season accolades that were prematurely handed to TVD, and do you still want him out there? He honestly should get in the portal and go to a place that can better utilize his talents.

JMO, but give me Jake.
I don’t necessarily disagree but I’m speaking more on deployment strategy. If you start Jake and he’s just as bad, we can’t go back to TVD unless he gets injured. We would be screwed with both of them.

I don’t think TVD has done a good job reading the defense and it looks like he locks into the initial look but then a DB or LB creeps over and he misses it.

Probably due to the comfort level of the play not being there yet and over thinking where people are going to be etc.

I also think the “check with me” thing where we have a new play at the last second leaves him zero time to think about the new play and have an idea of where the defense will be

It seems like the check with me stuff is leaving our QBs too little time to reevaluate and understand where the D will be

Advertisement
Back