Lashlee on Joe Rose

Advertisement
I think he means it. Every time I saw him on the sideline he was screaming for the offense to move faster. Especially with the new-ish rule if offense subs a guy a out they have to wait for the defense to sub. Lash is all about speed and tempo. Hard to do that subbing in 3 different guys.

As a guy that's extremely familiar with Lashlee, I couldn't help but chuckle during every game. Dude was absoultely losing it on the sidelines when cats were moving slow, dancing, signaling first down, and all the other nonsense they were doing instead of quickly moving on to the next play. That isht was driving Lashlee absolutely nuts. I expect the tempo to be much much better this year.

When I say recruit guys who win the ball, I'm definitely talking about things like toughness, physicality, use of body, hands, etc. So I'm with you on their importance. But I don't think we prioritized those things under Richt, tbh. Pope and Wiggins sure weren't that spec. Richt himself said after reviewing our roster that his first priority was speed. That's the trait he saw in Pope, Wiggins. Hightower, I think they probably did think he brought some of this. Whether that was a good eval or not, I suspect they thought that. Ezzard I have no clue. But my point is really, none of our coaches since Butch has made toughness, physicality, use of body and hands enough of a spec priority at WR.

I know I'm a broken record on evals, but how do you trade off two guys, where one is a tall, fast prospect and the other less tall, less fast, but more physical, better use of body, etc. Many fans probably thinks that's what evals are, you just have to look into the crystal ball and try to discern which one will be better. I don't think that. If you take that approach, IMO you're missing step 1. I think you're supposed to start by aligning as a program on what specs you're looking for. You'll still have to make the trade-off decisions, but it would be a lot better of a conversation if there was a basic agreement on whether we'd prefer elite fast or elite hands, say. Because recruiting is about hundreds or thousands of decisions leading up to NSD, not some 'here are my options, let me pick' choice on NSD. You have to know where to spend your time, and how. Hence my point on spec first (goals and strategy), roster need-state second (situation assessment), then eval against spec and needs (execution). So you know where to spend your time. It should be obvious but I'm reasonably sure our staffs the past many years haven't been clear enough with themselves on this topic.
Here’s where it tricky for me, how do u identify that at the HS, and how can u be sure it’ll will translate to the next level when the athletes are bigger, stronger, faster? Pope won 50/50 balls in HS but clearly at this level against similar If not Better athletes struggles to do so. That was one of his better traits in HS. In HS a lot of these kids are just flat out better athletes then their comp week in week out. So seeing a WR with D1 physical traits win a 50/50 ball in HS does not impress me at all.

personally I don’t think that is a clear cut skill that you can identify at the HS level then project a player can do it consistently at this level. I think it’s a learned skill that needs to be developed and constantly preached...ultimately it comes down to overall competitiveness. You gotta have that dog in as a wr to constantly win 50/50 balls.

on our roster right now Redding is that guy from a physical standpoint. And the boy can jump out the gym. Now it’s up to Lashlee and likens to DEMAND he brings that competitiveness to the field and embrace the physical aspect it takes to be THAT GUY for the room

Advertisement
I don't like the 20-25 carry comment. You can have a main guy but we should rotate our deepest position more than that imo.

When I say recruit guys who win the ball, I'm definitely talking about things like toughness, physicality, use of body, hands, etc. So I'm with you on their importance. But I don't think we prioritized those things under Richt, tbh. Pope and Wiggins sure weren't that spec. Richt himself said after reviewing our roster that his first priority was speed. That's the trait he saw in Pope, Wiggins. Hightower, I think they probably did think he brought some of this. Whether that was a good eval or not, I suspect they thought that. Ezzard I have no clue. But my point is really, none of our coaches since Butch has made toughness, physicality, use of body and hands enough of a spec priority at WR.

I know I'm a broken record on evals, but how do you trade off two guys, where one is a tall, fast prospect and the other less tall, less fast, but more physical, better use of body, etc. Many fans probably thinks that's what evals are, you just have to look into the crystal ball and try to discern which one will be better. I don't think that. If you take that approach, IMO you're missing step 1. I think you're supposed to start by aligning as a program on what specs you're looking for. You'll still have to make the trade-off decisions, but it would be a lot better of a conversation if there was a basic agreement on whether we'd prefer elite fast or elite hands, say. Because recruiting is about hundreds or thousands of decisions leading up to NSD, not some 'here are my options, let me pick' choice on NSD. You have to know where to spend your time, and how. Hence my point on spec first (goals and strategy), roster need-state second (situation assessment), then eval against spec and needs (execution). So you know where to spend your time. It should be obvious but I'm reasonably sure our staffs the past many years haven't been clear enough with themselves on this topic.
you are a broken record but we have 100+ days until the season there is not much else to talk about lol. We are in agreement RE: WRs. Need guys who know how to use their hands and strong enough that the use of those hands helps us in both blocking and catching. A guy like Taylor Stubbefield - he had a very strong college career - but he changed jobs every year. How do you develop any type of evaluation process that way when you never seen through a player's development from 18 to 20, yet alone 18 to 22?

Lot of people do not understand the thousands of decisions standpoint, especially when you have to keep constant communication with multiple prospects. The evaluation process is so interesting because it's so hard. I read a NBA scout say he likes players with small butts because that means they can jump higher. No clue how true that is, but as a fan/youth coach, I love those insights.

Manny is also big on character. Sam Bruce could have had a 100+ receptions career but the character was not there. Coach Ish talked about how he connected with how important character is for Manny's standard for the coaching staff and players.

You have to have rules and know when to break those rules. For instance, Dugans and Richt had Harley, Mullins, Jeff Thomas, Sam Bruce (not sure if he was kicked out yet), and Berrios all at the same time. So Dugans and Richt get together and aim for bigger WRs in 2018. They barley took Mike Harley as it was. So then the next cycle they ignore Elijah Moore who ended up better than all of them. Moore was a guy who you break the rules for, especially after K. Austin and X. Williams said no to us. Why go out of state for Ezzard?

Here is an article on what Likens is looking for at WR. I'm paywall blocked. If you, or anyone any poster, can access it, please post the whole thing because i want to read it.

No one is talking about the Coach Ish podcast with Behind The U? 5 years from now we’ll look back at his hire as the best one of the 2020 off season.

Enjoy.

Advertisement
I don't like the 20-25 carry comment. You can have a main guy but we should rotate our deepest position more than that imo.
Nah being a former college back, started off getting 2 to 3 series a game and did my thing, but once your the bell cow, I can safely say you're in the zone man and you just wanna truck and do your thing.

What he means is a lead back and have him spelled out when he gets tired and then put in a passing down guy or blocking type guy for whatever he wants.
You want YOUR guy in the fourth quarter that you can trust, not a hot hand of the day. I think that's what he's saying.

you are a broken record but we have 100+ days until the season there is not much else to talk about lol. We are in agreement RE: WRs. Need guys who know how to use their hands and strong enough that the use of those hands helps us in both blocking and catching. A guy like Taylor Stubbefield - he had a very strong college career - but he changed jobs every year. How do you develop any type of evaluation process that way when you never seen through a player's development from 18 to 20, yet alone 18 to 22?

Lot of people do not understand the thousands of decisions standpoint, especially when you have to keep constant communication with multiple prospects. The evaluation process is so interesting because it's so hard. I read a NBA scout say he likes players with small butts because that means they can jump higher. No clue how true that is, but as a fan/youth coach, I love those insights.

Manny is also big on character. Sam Bruce could have had a 100+ receptions career but the character was not there. Coach Ish talked about how he connected with how important character is for Manny's standard for the coaching staff and players.

You have to have rules and know when to break those rules. For instance, Dugans and Richt had Harley, Mullins, Jeff Thomas, Sam Bruce (not sure if he was kicked out yet), and Berrios all at the same time. So Dugans and Richt get together and aim for bigger WRs in 2018. They barley took Mike Harley as it was. So then the next cycle they ignore Elijah Moore who ended up better than all of them. Moore was a guy who you break the rules for, especially after K. Austin and X. Williams said no to us. Why go out of state for Ezzard?

Here is an article on what Likens is looking for at WR. I'm paywall blocked. If you, or anyone any poster, can access it, please post the whole thing because i want to read it.

Here you go: From the Miami Herald

Rob Likens’ biggest disappointment since taking over as the Miami Hurricanes’ wide receivers coach is having spring practices cut short. The coronavirus pandemic limited Miami to just four practices before spring sports were canceled across the NCAA.

Likens’ second biggest disappointment is the cancellation of the spring evaluation period for recruiting. Nowhere in the country produces more high-level wide receivers than South Florida and the new assistant coach was excited to get to work watching players all across the region

“Miami is just a great place,” Likens said. “I was just excited to go out and watch some practices, just watch some kids run around.”

Instead, Likens is currently reduced to recruiting off whatever limited video is available, just like every coach is right now. The new position coach said he looks for two attributes in particular while out recruiting and one of those — toughness — is particularly tough to evaluate without seeing the prospect in person.

On the field, Likens said he prioritizes players’ ability to play on the outside and beat press coverage. It means he’s not necessarily evaluating speed off 40-yard dash times.

“You look for lateral quickness, spot quickness,” Likens said. “They don’t have to be a 4.3, 4.4. You can get by with guys in the high 4.5s, a 4.6 flattish-type guy if he has great lateral movement.”

Unprompted, Likens mentioned how much he likes prospects such as wide receiver Mark Pope, who was a five-star prospect in the Rivals.com rankings coming out of Miami Southridge. Although he’s only 6-1 and 171 pounds, Pope was a high school star because of his lateral quickness and his ability to beat cornerbacks off the line of scrimmage. The Hurricanes initially recruited Pope as a wide receiver who could play outside or in the slot, although the junior has had a mostly underwhelming career so far.

Still, Pope’s struggles have mostly been about understanding the offense. Likens has a track record of success with receivers similar to Pope, so he might be equipped to get the most out of the former blue-chip recruit.

“You need to look for guys that can play outside because if you can play outside then, theoretically, you can play inside,” Likens said. “One of the things you look for is guys — they’ve got to be able to get off press coverage.”

After finding a prospect who can beat press coverage, Likens then wants to make sure he is “tough.”

Wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk is a potential first-round pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, and he played for Likens with the Arizona State Sun Devils last year. Likens accompanied him to the 2020 Senior Bowl in January, and it gave the coach Likens plenty of chances to talk to NFL scouts. One of his big takeaways was how excited they were to watch the practices in Mobile. At practice, scouts could really get a sense of how tough a player was — how well he could handle adversity.

“They don’t watch them while they play. They watch them in between plays,” Likens said .”How does that kid respond to getting his butt kicked on the line of scrimmage against press? Is he going to put his head down and pout? Is he going to come out and is he going to play harder the very next play, and does he love it?”

Likens has yet to land a commitment of his own since arriving in Coral Gables, and the focus will be on recruiting South Florida first — it’s the Hurricanes’ general philosophy.

Likens, though, has coached in the Pac-12 Conference in all but two seasons since 2013. He said he will lean on his West Coast ties, too.

“I think there are a lot of kids that are out in California that they want to experience something different, like they don’t maybe necessarily want to go to a big brand-name school that’s over there on the left coast in the Southern California area. They may not want to do that. They may have been around that their whole life and say, ‘You know what? I want something different,’” Likens said. “I just think there’s some kids over there that want to experience something different, and you might be able to pull a gem out of there.”

Here’s where it tricky for me, how do u identify that at the HS, and how can u be sure it’ll will translate to the next level when the athletes are bigger, stronger, faster? Pope won 50/50 balls in HS but clearly at this level against similar If not Better athletes struggles to do so. That was one of his better traits in HS. In HS a lot of these kids are just flat out better athletes then their comp week in week out. So seeing a WR with D1 physical traits win a 50/50 ball in HS does not impress me at all.

personally I don’t think that is a clear cut skill that you can identify at the HS level then project a player can do it consistently at this level. I think it’s a learned skill that needs to be developed and constantly preached...ultimately it comes down to overall competitiveness. You gotta have that dog in as a wr to constantly win 50/50 balls.

on our roster right now Redding is that guy from a physical standpoint. And the boy can jump out the gym. Now it’s up to Lashlee and likens to DEMAND he brings that competitiveness to the field and embrace the physical aspect it takes to be THAT GUY for the room
Nothing is certain, we have to acknowledge that. I'm not saying anything is perfectly knowable. But uncertainty isn't the issue. Probabilities are. You maximize probabilities if you (a) know what you're looking for and (b) know how to recognize it. Most people view (b) as what evals are about, and I'm just pointing out that (a) is, too. The good news is that (a) isn't art or rocket science, it's just process, clarity of thought and discipline.

Secondly, I disagree re Pope in HS. He didn't catch a lot of passes that I recall. Camp and 7-7 isn't where you see how people react to physical contact, either.

I guess you have to have a sense of what to look for, and really understand the kid, too. Butch was looking for personality traits, not just videotape evidence. They have to go together because like you say, the evidence will not be perfect. That's why evaluations are an art and a science. It sounds like we agree on this because you're mentioning competitiveness, which goes to a similar point.

I don't think competitiveness and toughness and physicality are the same, though. I'd say competitiveness is on how much you want to win. Toughness is can you take a hit without quitting. Physicality is can you do it over and over and over again. At least that's what I'm getting at with those terms.

Advertisement
I am not as astute with the Xs and Os as others on here.

Can someone explain to me what an identity on offense is?

Advertisement
I'm new here can someone explain to me why Clark would be better at C? I know Gaynor is hot trash but Clark has not shown anything to say he would be better.

Gaynor likely starts , I don’t get the love affair but oh well. He’s equally as bad against the bull rush , him scaife and Clark were meh to bad. Clark has always been a center , scaife a tackle. They’re finally wisely up to scaife
Of the freshmen who has the most buzz so far?

I'm new here can someone explain to me why Clark would be better at C? I know Gaynor is hot trash but Clark has not shown anything to say he would be better.
It’s his natural position , most expected him to play there when he arrived. Then we realized we had no guards or tackles on campus.

Advertisement
Back