Lashlee on Joe Rose

Lashlee talked offense on Joe Rose this morning.

some takeaways...

TE: He mentioned UM was at its best with two TE’s on the field last season. However, both Will and Brevin were out many games so it hurt the offense. He said he’s hoping that Mam will step up and he’s had a good offseason. He mentioned Elijah has Brevin type traits but is still a frosh and is having some injury setbacks. This season he’s looking for an identity whether to run 3 WRs or 2 TE sets.

RB: The competition is tight. He wants to have a workhorse back with 20-25 carries a game. He said there was no rhythm once all 3 guys were splitting reps equally. However, that doesn’t mean there can’t be multiple 1k rushers. He’s had that before.

OL: Scaife and Williams are battling it out for RT. He’s really high on Nelson at LT. Clark has reshaped his body and is pushing Gaynor. It sounds like Clark will play a guard spot this season then take over for Gaynor at C next reading between the lines.

WR: He said it’s wide open. They need someone to start winning 50/50 balls. Smith was the young guy he brought up first gaining 12lbs looking good. I’m betting Rambo starts game 1. He mentioned how he’s played against Bama and done it all before. They brought him here for a reason. He mentioned Restrepo as another young guy getting better. Not a peep about Wiggins or Pope FWIW.

Maybe if we prioritized this trait in our WR recruiting, it wouldn’t be absent from our WR group when we need it.

Advertisement
"TE: He mentioned UM was at its best with two TE’s on the field last season."

Our WRs were terrible last year so it's not surprising we were better off with less of them on the field at the same time. Watch what happens if it's Rambo, Harley, and Smith paired with Mallory. It will look like a different offense.
When your two TEs are both top talents, it’s easy to look good with them out there. I’d take two top receiving TEs all day every day. Creates receiving mismatches and preserves run options.

But yes, having your WRs be able to catch is also really important!

RB: The competition is tight. He wants to have a workhorse back with 20-25 carries a game. He said there was no rhythm once all 3 guys were splitting reps equally

I'm a huge believer in this. I hate all the rotation stuff that we've been plagued with post-Coker it seems. I feel like your best 11 (or 12/13 if you want to rotate a WR/TE) guys need to be on the field almost the whole game. Offense requires rhythm and familiarity.

Unless our staff still thinks Wiggins is one of those. If that's the case, forget what I said and rotate those mother ****ers.

I'm a huge believer in this. I hate all the rotation stuff that we've been plagued with post-Coker it seems. I feel like your best 11 (or 12/13 if you want to rotate a WR/TE) guys need to be on the field almost the whole game. Offense requires rhythm and familiarity.

Unless our staff still thinks Wiggins is one of those. If that's the case, forget what I said and rotate those mother ****ers.

Too many average guys getting snaps over the years for the sake of rotating just to rotate. That's one of Manny's negatives on D from when he was DC, the amount of rotations that were going on (see LSU in 2018 when back up DT, LB, and S was in on that long TD run they had against us relatively early.)

Advertisement
The "workhouse back" comment is very interesting. Not sure if that is coachspeak or if he really means that.

I dont know why he wouldnt want to go 3WR sets. Anyone past Mallory isnt ready yet to be depended on full time in a 2TE set if you ask me. And we have **** near 11-12 WRs in the room right now.

If Scaife loses out to Williams, does he stay around past Spring. Isnt he a Sr? I honestly really liked what I saw from Williams last year all things considered.
Got a lot of flexibility with TE type over a WR type.

You can bring a TE in the box and flex him out, you ain't doing that with any of our WRs, that's why he likes it.

If you go 2 WR 2TE 1RB, that's all the info on the other sideline has, but you can come out 4 wide and play air raid or in Strong I Twins and run 3 yards and a cloud of dust, OR show up 4 wide and have to respect it and then shift to Strong I Twins or vice versa.

That's why that's personelle setting is a beauty.

some takeaways...

TE: He mentioned UM was at its best with two TE’s on the field last season. However, both Will and Brevin were out many games so it hurt the offense. He said he’s hoping that Mam will step up and he’s had a good offseason. He mentioned Elijah has Brevin type traits but is still a frosh and is having some injury setbacks. This season he’s looking for an identity whether to run 3 WRs or 2 TE sets.

RB: The competition is tight. He wants to have a workhorse back with 20-25 carries a game. He said there was no rhythm once all 3 guys were splitting reps equally. However, that doesn’t mean there can’t be multiple 1k rushers. He’s had that before.

OL: Scaife and Williams are battling it out for RT. He’s really high on Nelson at LT. Clark has reshaped his body and is pushing Gaynor. It sounds like Clark will play a guard spot this season then take over for Gaynor at C next reading between the lines.

WR: He said it’s wide open. They need someone to start winning 50/50 balls. Smith was the young guy he brought up first gaining 12lbs looking good. I’m betting Rambo starts game 1. He mentioned how he’s played against Bama and done it all before. They brought him here for a reason. He mentioned Restrepo as another young guy getting better. Not a peep about Wiggins or Pope FWIW.
among other things, this means they identified and admitted some mistakes they made last year and appear to be interested in correcting them.´´

what happened to Hodges last year? Was he injured? Disappeared?

Advertisement
My takeaways:
- Rhett mentioned Big Vaughn has been able to get through all 5 practices as if it was a bit of a surprise... man he must have been so big and out of shape in prior years. Called him a 'people mover'.
- Zion locked in at LT and Gaynor locked in at C. Rest of the offensive line is up to competition.
- Big year for Mallory if he can stay healthy. Not sure who will grab the TE2 spot but wants to use 2 TEs.
- Have to get consistent at the WR spot. Need to win 50/50 balls down the field in order to take the next step as an offense. Rambo was brought in for a reason aka he's playing. Keyshawn Smith physically looks different. Called out Restrepo as well. Went on and on about playing to the standard and catching the balls. Open competition.
- Rhett wants a consistent run game and thinks we can achieve that by using a workhorse/starter. Have to have a 'guy'. Need a rhythm.

Got a lot of flexibility with TE type over a WR type.

You can bring a TE in the box and flex him out, you ain't doing that with any of our WRs, that's why he likes it.

If you go 2 WR 2TE 1RB, that's all the info on the other sideline has, but you can come out 4 wide and play air raid or in Strong I Twins and run 3 yards and a cloud of dust, OR show up 4 wide and have to respect it and then shift to Strong I Twins or vice versa.

That's why that's personelle setting is a beauty.
One of those 2 TE's has to 'block some bodee' though. Can't both we a WR type

The "workhouse back" comment is very interesting. Not sure if that is coachspeak or if he really means that.

I think Lashlee means it - his history is to lean on 1 workhorse RB. But it's much easier said than done.

Last year you wanted to see what you had in Chaney & Knighton, so rotating the 3 RB's was kind of necessary.

But Am/Chaney/Knighton total only combined for 23 carries per game last year. So to have a 20 carry per game RB this year, 1 RB is going to really separate themselves from the pack (which didn't happen last year), and there won't be much left for the other RB's.

King's knee may limit the QB run plays, which will lead to more RB's carries this year. It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Agree and there is nothing to say you can't use Knighton in the backfield or slot to go along with Chaney or Harris. IMO we are only going to have Chaney for 2 more years, need to get our moneys worth.

Advertisement
Biggest takeaway for me is that he seems to think Zion and Gaynor have the safest jobs. Everybody else battling.
Gaynor coming back as fullback? I dont even know who bama zero tech is but he gon get this DMoney

Advertisement

some takeaways...

Coach speak

Advertisement
Back