Lashlee on Joe Rose

Not sure if anybody crowned him as great last year? He had a solid freshman year. It’s more of a projection of the jump that people are expecting him to take from year 1 to 2.
I don’t think people understand how good he was without hardly any s&c after shoulder surgery. He just showed up , got surgery , rehabbed and was like “ let’s play football “. It’s kinda crazy especially for a 18 year old kid at this level.

He was still the best rb by years end. Let’s talk after a full
S&c and see where the haters are next year.

Advertisement
Got a lot of flexibility with TE type over a WR type.

You can bring a TE in the box and flex him out, you ain't doing that with any of our WRs, that's why he likes it.

If you go 2 WR 2TE 1RB, that's all the info on the other sideline has, but you can come out 4 wide and play air raid or in Strong I Twins and run 3 yards and a cloud of dust, OR show up 4 wide and have to respect it and then shift to Strong I Twins or vice versa.

That's why that's personelle setting is a beauty.
...and that's why lashlee wants tempo with no subs. Image the above and not allowing the defense to adjust based on your personnel. If we don't sub they have to defend multiple formations with the same 11 that trotted onto the field to begin the drive.

That's what Lashlee wants to see...

It seems that the only reason Gaynor would be safe is that we simply don't have a better alternative on the roster tbh
He mentioned how Clark is pushing Gaynor and C is likely Clark’s best position. I interpret that as Gaynor starting for sure but the leash isn’t as long as it was last season. Regardless, it’s positive hearing news about Clark reshaping his body and taking it seriously. He’s already one of the better OLs on the team before this good offseason.
The "workhouse back" comment is very interesting. Not sure if that is coachspeak or if he really means that.

I dont know why he wouldnt want to go 3WR sets. Anyone past Mallory isnt ready yet to be depended on full time in a 2TE set if you ask me. And we have **** near 11-12 WRs in the room right now.

If Scaife loses out to Williams, does he stay around past Spring. Isnt he a Sr? I honestly really liked what I saw from Williams last year all things considered.
Lash said he really likes 2 TE sets because of the pressure it puts on a defense. However, he wants the best players out there and it’s yet to be seen if that’s an extra TE or WR.

Advertisement
Maybe if we prioritized this trait in our WR recruiting, it wouldn’t be absent from our WR group when we need it.
When we have prioritized it under Dugans, the guys we got had little success here (Hightower / Ezzard). Pope and Mullins - were not recruited to be jump ball guys - won a whole bunch of jump balls in HS but could not translate the skill. Point being that we need guys with some toughness when the corners and safeties get bigger, stronger and faster. They can't be Andre Johnson but would love some of Andre's toughness in the room.

Smith and Redding are up next to bat. Comparing Redding to our previous jump ball guys in Cager/Langham/Hightower/Ezzard, he has a next level athleticism (4.5 and 40 inch vertical) that none of those guys had. Hopefully that, along with his strength, translates into jump ball wins.

Last edited:
I'm a huge believer in this. I hate all the rotation stuff that we've been plagued with post-Coker it seems. I feel like your best 11 (or 12/13 if you want to rotate a WR/TE) guys need to be on the field almost the whole game. Offense requires rhythm and familiarity.

Unless our staff still thinks Wiggins is one of those. If that's the case, forget what I said and rotate those mother ****ers.
The word to the public this spring has been "six WRs six WRs .... we're going to play fast and need to rotate....looking for the top six"

Gaynor likely starts , I don’t get the love affair but oh well. He’s equally as bad against the bull rush , him scaife and Clark were meh to bad. Clark has always been a center , scaife a tackle. They’re finally wisely up to scaife
Glad they kicked Scaife back out to tackle. He’ll have an extra year too so he can take over for Williams if 2022 (unless Washington/Walker are ready). Especially if Zion has a big year and bounces.

He mentioned how Clark is pushing Gaynor and C is likely Clark’s best position. I interpret that as Gaynor starting for sure but the leash isn’t as long as it was last season. Regardless, it’s positive hearing news about Clark reshaping his body and taking it seriously. He’s already one of the better OLs on the team before this good offseason.

Lash said he really likes 2 TE sets because of the pressure it puts on a defense. However, he wants the best players out there and it’s yet to be seen if that’s an extra TE or WR.
Clark is definitely a center, doesn't have enough power to be an effective guard, I cringed a bit hearing him & Rivers being the main competition for a guard spot opposite Navaughn. We need Rivers to win that battle and let Clark focus on trying to beat out Gaynor.

Advertisement
A workhorse back doesn’t necessarily mean for the whole season but each game.

Use the 1st quarter to get a feel, and ride the hot hand whether that be Cam, Don, or Joe Yearby’s ghost idc.

Advertisement
And if Scaife is battling Williams.... Lol we all know who's winning that battle. Idc what Scaifes natural position is, that boy was ridiculously trash last yr.
He looked like a turnstile in grancentral station. Dudes were just getting free runs to the qb. I also don’t want clarke at the other guard spot hoping rovers can beat him out

Advertisement
FIFY

Al Golden eluded to this during his time here. IIRC, he said something like 'Miami wont be back until we stop needing freshmen to come in and save us'
None of the elite programs depend on Fr or 2nd year guys like that unless they are absolute studs. Guys like blades hall, Ivey ideally you want playing major roles after 2 full years in a program. We haven’t had that luxury . It starts by building quality depth so we break that trend. We are starting to do that

When we have prioritized it under Dugans, the guys we got had little success here (Hightower / Ezzard). Pope and Mullins - were not recruited to be jump ball guys - won a whole bunch of jump balls in HS but could not translate the skill. Point being that we need guys with some toughness when the corners and safeties get bigger, stronger and faster. They can't be Andre Johnson but would love some of Andre's toughness in the room.

Smith and Redding are up next to bat. Comparing Redding to our previous jump ball guys in Cager/Langham/Hightower/Ezzard, he has a next level athleticism (4.5 and 40 inch vertical) that none of those guys had. Hopefully that, along with his strength, translates into jump ball wins.
When I say recruit guys who win the ball, I'm definitely talking about things like toughness, physicality, use of body, hands, etc. So I'm with you on their importance. But I don't think we prioritized those things under Richt, tbh. Pope and Wiggins sure weren't that spec. Richt himself said after reviewing our roster that his first priority was speed. That's the trait he saw in Pope, Wiggins. Hightower, I think they probably did think he brought some of this. Whether that was a good eval or not, I suspect they thought that. Ezzard I have no clue. But my point is really, none of our coaches since Butch has made toughness, physicality, use of body and hands enough of a spec priority at WR.

I know I'm a broken record on evals, but how do you trade off two guys, where one is a tall, fast prospect and the other less tall, less fast, but more physical, better use of body, etc. Many fans probably thinks that's what evals are, you just have to look into the crystal ball and try to discern which one will be better. I don't think that. If you take that approach, IMO you're missing step 1. I think you're supposed to start by aligning as a program on what specs you're looking for. You'll still have to make the trade-off decisions, but it would be a lot better of a conversation if there was a basic agreement on whether we'd prefer elite fast or elite hands, say. Because recruiting is about hundreds or thousands of decisions leading up to NSD, not some 'here are my options, let me pick' choice on NSD. You have to know where to spend your time, and how. Hence my point on spec first (goals and strategy), roster need-state second (situation assessment), then eval against spec and needs (execution). So you know where to spend your time. It should be obvious but I'm reasonably sure our staffs the past many years haven't been clear enough with themselves on this topic.

Advertisement
Back