Kyle Wright - What was his ceiling?

The next Dan Marino. The word was the city of Miami hadn’t seen an arm like this since Marino left the Dolphins… kid got f***** over in so many ways under Coker and his laughing stock staff.

Make no mistake about it Wright is the most physically gifted QB to ever walk the halls of UM and I’ll stand by that till the day I die.

Advertisement
To be Honest...I don't think Butch would have Won more than Saban...Why??..because Butch didn't have a Brinks truck at his disposal for 6yrs like Saban...Butch had an administration that practically loathed him aside from a few. Saban had/has an administration who thinks he's God. People don't realize..but Butch had an offer to be Alabama's HC way before Saban, and politely turned it down.
Good point about the admin support

I don’t pretend to know details but they weren’t treating Butch like a God the way Saban has everything at his disposal

Advertisement
The next Dan Marino. The word was the city of Miami hadn’t seen an arm like this since Marino left the Dolphins… kid got f***** over in so many ways under Coker and his laughing stock staff.

Make no mistake about it Wright is the most physically gifted QB to ever walk the halls of UM and I’ll stand by that till the day I die.
Wrong and blasphemous...the most physically gifted QB ever in UM is Vinny Testaverde...and its not even close...
Had the squat records and played over 20 years in NFL...and NFL teams were still asking him to play when he decided to retire

Nah man...Testaverde was the most physically gifted QB ever at UM...with a better arm than Wright...****, Scott Covington had as good of an arm, if not better than Wrights...

I don’t pretend to know details but they weren’t treating Butch like a God the way Saban has everything at his disposal
They abhorred Butch. Aside from a few BOT members. I always hear how supportive Paul Dee was to Butch, which is 100% BS....He ended up F-ing Butch in the end. It's all good though...Butch still has much Love for UM. Everytime I'm with him, he always has his 87 NC Ring on. Never one of his Dallas SB Rings.

Advertisement
They abhorred Butch. Aside from a few BOT members. I always hear how supportive Paul Dee was to Butch, which is 100% BS....He ended up F-ing Butch in the end. It's all good though...Butch still has much Love for UM. Everytime I'm with him, he always has his 87 NC Ring on. Never one of his Dallas SB Rings.
Butch and Zo have any type of relationship? I would like to see Butch back around in some capacity

Wrong and blasphemous...the most physically gifted QB ever in UM is Vinny Testaverde...and its not even close...
Had the squat records and played over 20 years in NFL...and NFL teams were still asking him to play when he decided to retire
Yeah I was gonna say he’s probably one of the most physically gifted QBs the NFL has ever seen let alone college

The position has changed now with athletes playing the position more, but he was that guy before it became trendy

Advertisement
The Brock Berlin thread got me thinking about Kyle Wright - while I would agree that he was probably never going to be an all-time great, he remains one of the great "what-ifs" in Miami Hurricanes history. I think we never got to see his true potential, because not only did Miami get worse from a talent perspective during his tenure, it got a lot worse. He faced challenges that not even Ryan Clement saw in 1997.

Literally, Miami ran out of wide receivers.

In 2005, Miami featured a wide receiver roster that had dwindled to seven players: Ryan Moore, Akiem Jolla, Sinorice Moss, Devin Hester, Lance Leggett, Darnell Jenkins, Khalil Jones. Miami had failed to sign a single wide receiver in the 2005 class, and had signed only three in the last three classes. This would be Wright's best year statistically, has he finished the season with 2,403 yards passing, 18 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. It would also be by far the most talented supporting cast that he had in his three years of starting.

In 2006, the Hurricanes were able to sign two wide receivers (Sam Shields and George Robinson). But they lost Devin Hester, Sinorice Moss, and Akiem Jolla. Ryan Moore would be suspended for half of the season. That left Miami with just five wide receivers. The Canes converted defensive backs Ryan Hill and Terrell Walden to wide receiver to provide additional depth, and also used punter Brian Monroe as a wide receiver in practice. Clearly, this was not the same offense as what had been fielded a year earlier, and coupled with learning a new offense Wright's stats took a big hit. He finished with 1,655 yards passing, 8 touchdowns and 7 interceptions. The Hurricanes barely averaged more than 20 points a game, wasting what was probably the last truly strong defense that Miami would see until Diaz became defensive coordinator.

In 2007, the situation was got even worse. Miami signed three wide receivers (Kayne Farquharson, Leonard Hankerson, and Jermaine McKenzie). But McKenzie would not play that season due to an auto accident, while the Hurricanes lost three more players - Moore, Walden, and Robinson. This left Miami with just seven players: Lance Leggett, Darnell Jenkins, Khalil Jones, Sam Shields, converted DB Ryan Hill, Kayne Farquaharson, and Leonard Hankerson. The Canes were razor thin once more, and were more suited to run a Georgia Tech triple option offense than a traditional pro-set attack. Quarterback Kyle Wright had to learn his third offense in three years, and coupled with the thin cast showed only minimal improvement in his final year. He finished with 1,747 yards passing, 12 touchdowns, and 14 interceptions.

So what if? What if Miami had been able to keep numbers at a stable level, rather than going three years and signing just three players? Wright might have been able to duplicate or improve on his 2005 campaign, and potentially lead the Hurricanes to a 11 win regular season mark. Except for Louisville, all of the Hurricanes losses were close that year, and the outsize factor was the anemic offense.

Curious what you all think.
Kyle is one of the few Canes I will hate on. A lot was wrong with the program at the time, and he was a young kid, so I can’t put all the blame on him. But he acted like a spoiled brat and was the only player that cooperated with the NCAA investigation during Shapiro because he couldn’t let it go. His Cane card is revoked.

Butch and Zo have any type of relationship? I would like to see Butch back around in some capacity
Mario and Butch are EXTREMELY close...and have been for yrs...It was Butch who gave Mario his start as a GA in 98, and Mario has never forgot. As far as Zo....I'm sure Butch has a good relationship with him. As you know, Zo was a RB on UM teams while Butch was the DL coach. Butch's favorite assistants from back in the day were Sarge (Soldinger).....Kehoe and Pagano.

Mario and Butch are EXTREMELY close...and have been for yrs...It was Butch who gave Mario his start as a GA in 98, and Mario has never forgot. As far as Zo....I'm sure Butch has a good relationship with him. As you know, Zo was a RB on UM teams while Butch was the DL coach. Butch's favorite assistants from back in the day were Sarge (Soldinger).....Kehoe and Pagano.
Yeah I didn’t want to assume but figured Butch and Zo had to have some kind of relationship. I knew Mario and him were close so was hoping they could all make something happen there

**** gimme Butch as an analyst/recruiting role all day every day if nothing else

Advertisement
To be Honest...I don't think Butch would have Won more than Saban...Why??..because Butch didn't have a Brinks truck at his disposal for 6yrs like Saban...Butch had an administration that practically loathed him aside from a few. Saban had/has an administration who thinks he's God. People don't realize..but Butch had an offer to be Alabama's HC way before Saban, and politely turned it down.
i might have exaggerated for effect .... but you get my point.

Yeah I was gonna say he’s probably one of the most physically gifted QBs the NFL has ever seen let alone college

The position has changed now with athletes playing the position more, but he was that guy before it became trendy
In 86 I saw Testaverde throw passes at GreenTree that honestly made you shake your head. Dude had a Howitzer....and all BS aside...so did Covington. Scott has the most underrated Arm in UM History, plain & simple.
Ask @Brooklyndee the story when the Cora Brothers from the Baseball team were playing catch with Covington...and Scott broke either Alex or Joey's hand with a pass. It enraged Jim Morris, and the baseball players were prohibited from doing that anymore....Lol...True story

They treated Butch like sh*t....from the second he hit campus, they nit-picked and Nickle & dimed him to death. They really Harped on him in ref to recruiting expenditures (trips and what nots)...but what tf did they expect??....Our recruiting trips pulled in the likes of Reed...Wayne..etc...I will take it to my Grave that UMs administration never in a million yrs thought Butch would pull UM through an absolute **** hole, and on to building the best team in NCAA History.
He should have been made the Highest paid coach in CFB at the end of 2000...with a large amount of incentives.

In 86 I saw Testaverde throw passes at GreenTree that honestly made you shake your head. Dude had a Howitzer....and all BS aside...so did Covington. Scott has the most underrated Arm in UM History, plain & simple.
Ask @Brooklyndee the story when the Cora Brothers from the Baseball team were playing catch with Covington...and Scott broke either Alex or Joey's hand with a pass. It enraged Jim Morris, and the baseball players were prohibited from doing that anymore....Lol...True story
Vinny would starch guys in the distance toss event of that NFL QB Challenge they used to do; I think his 80 yd bomb is still the record

Advertisement
Back