Kyle Wright - What was his ceiling?

Advertisement
His talent was out of this world. Like everyone else said, having a different OC every year won't lead to success. Also, Radio was the worst head coach. How could he have possibly started Kirby over Kyle ever? Hard to progress and be developed like that.

He’s not a “what if.” We know exactly what he was.

He was horrible. He had zero feel for the game and constantly sacked himself. All you need to know is that in 2004, after Berlin had played well against GT, Wright comes in and sacks himself like four times in nine plays. People said “oh he’s just young.” No, that was just him. He had the worst pocket presence I’ve ever seen.

His problem was not a lack of WRs, or anything really other than sucking. He was a robot, not a QB. He could not throw a deep ball AT ALL, took way too long to get rid of the ball, and the only time he was even serviceable was when Tyrone Moss was carrying the offense.

We had a bunch of different coordinators because Wright sucked, but Coker didn’t recruit anybody to take the reigns from him. So we were rotating coordinators thinking they’d be the savior because nobody wanted to admit that Wright was one of
The biggest busts in CFB history.

The issue wasn’t coordinators. If The program had been running properly, Wright would have never played and would have transfered.

that GT game was horrible. But man, his first start against FSU on the road with the likes of Goldschlager and The Toddler being turnstyles and "blocking" for him was a **** fine outing.

His ceiling would’ve been a Heisman trophy and #1 overall draft pick had things played out right…

Super weird bump but got in an argument with a friend of mine over this. I made the claim that Kyle Wright was screwed at UM. He had several different OCs during his time here and we literally ran out of WRs. Had Butch Davis never left and we continued on the path we was with him things for Wright would’ve been very different. Make no mistake about it Kyle Wright is IMO the most physically gifted QB to ever walk the halls of UM. He never had a chance here…

Somewhere in an alternate universe Butch Davis stayed at Miami. Kept a consistent OC and Kyle Wright developed into a specimen and went on to win a Heisman trophy and be the #1 overall pick in the draft and a Pro Bowl QB… Bobby Washington enrolled at Miami and became the next McGahee for us… Willie Williams becomes the All-Time great LB in UM history and a future NFL HOF LB…

Butch would’ve kept local studs like Ricky Jean-Francois, Demetrice Morley and Dwayne Bowe home to become future 1st rounders for us. Butch didn’t lose Dade kids to anyone. He would’ve plucked other national studs on top of that. Guys like Martellus Bennett and more who openly wanted to be Canes…

I have long wondered how differently things would’ve been for us had Butch never left for Cleveland. I feel like we easily would’ve won the title again in 2002 with Butch as HC maybe even again in 2003. We never would’ve fell off the map and probably would’ve continued dominance up through the mid-late 2000s as long as he stayed. Coker and Shannon both were jokes and turned our powerhouse program into a joke. But hey things didn’t work out like that we got f***** and lived through two decades of mediocrity. Thank god we’re finally putting money into this and got Cristobal home. He’s the best HC we’ve had in over 20 years and will bring us back to the promise land.

Advertisement
His ceiling would’ve been a Heisman trophy and #1 overall draft pick had things played out right…

Super weird bump but got in an argument with a friend of mine over this. I made the claim that Kyle Wright was screwed at UM. He had several different OCs during his time here and we literally ran out of WRs. Had Butch Davis never left and we continued on the path we was with him things for Wright would’ve been very different. Make no mistake about it Kyle Wright is IMO the most physically gifted QB to ever walk the halls of UM. He never had a chance here…

Somewhere in an alternate universe Butch Davis stayed at Miami. Kept a consistent OC and Kyle Wright developed into a specimen and went on to win a Heisman trophy and be the #1 overall pick in the draft and a Pro Bowl QB… Bobby Washington enrolled at Miami and became the next McGahee for us… Willie Williams becomes the All-Time great LB in UM history and a future NFL HOF LB…

Butch would’ve kept local studs like Ricky Jean-Francois, Demetrice Morley and Dwayne Bowe home to become future 1st rounders for us. Butch didn’t lose Dade kids to anyone. He would’ve plucked other national studs on top of that. Guys like Martellus Bennett and more who openly wanted to be Canes…

I have long wondered how differently things would’ve been for us had Butch never left for Cleveland. I feel like we easily would’ve won the title again in 2002 with Butch as HC maybe even again in 2003. We never would’ve fell off the map and probably would’ve continued dominance up through the mid-late 2000s as long as he stayed. Coker and Shannon both were jokes and turned our powerhouse program into a joke. But hey things didn’t work out like that we got f***** and lived through two decades of mediocrity. Thank god we’re finally putting money into this and got Cristobal home. He’s the best HC we’ve had in over 20 years and will bring us back to the promise land.

Butch doesn’t leave, & we win the 2002 Nat’l Title. There would be no 2003 LSU Tigers. I say, w/ all honesty, we become Bama of the 2000’s, winning about 4-5 titles, & vying for another 3-4

Butch doesn’t leave, & we win 2002 Nat’l Title. There would be no 2003 LSU Tigers. I say, w/ all honesty, we become Bama of the 2000’s, winning about 4-5 titles, & vying for another 3-4
I agree completely. South Florida was littered with talent in the mid 2000s many players either left for SEC schools or never developed under Coker. If Butch had stayed guys like Kyle Wright and Willie Williams would’ve went down as legends IMO. Butch’s staff could always develop kids. I’d say we would’ve won at the very least 4 national titles in the 2000s.

Butch doesn’t leave, & we win the 2002 Nat’l Title. There would be no 2003 LSU Tigers. I say, w/ all honesty, we become Bama of the 2000’s, winning about 4-5 titles, & vying for another 3-4
thats-a-fact-jack.gif

Butch will be on campus in Oct. I'm driving down with him. Won't get into why he's gonna be there. (nothing to do with coming back in any capacity) but he'll 100% be there.

Advertisement
I agree completely. South Florida was littered with talent in the mid 2000s many players either left for SEC schools or never developed under Coker. If Butch had stayed guys like Kyle Wright and Willie Williams would’ve went down as legends IMO. Butch’s staff could always develop kids. I’d say we would’ve won at the very least 4 national titles in the 2000s.

I go back to the 2nd game in 2000 against UDub; yes we lost, but if there was 40 more seconds on the clock, we create an incredible come back. Second Half Miami vs. UDub - to the end of the season was a juggernaut. Gave up 12.9 ppg to end the season, while avg. 38 ppg. That momentum carries over. We don’t see the bust rate under Butch, & we might not see some guys who became Canes that were ranked highly, even rock our uniforms b/c of the evaluations.

We would see local guys stay home, thrive, & continue the tradition of NFLU, while cherry picking the best of the best across the nation. Imo, we would avg. 5-7 1st round guys/yr, while flooding the NFL w/ about 12-15 guys total drafted/yearly.

I go back to the 2nd game in 2000 against UDub; yes we lost, but if there was 40 more seconds on the clock, we create an incredible come back. Second Half Miami vs. UDub - to the end of the season was a juggernaut. Gave up 12.9 ppg to end the season, while avg. 38 ppg. That momentum carries over. We don’t see the bust rate under Butch, & we might not see some guys who became Canes that were ranked highly, even rock our uniforms b/c of the evaluations.

We would see local guys stay home, thrive, & continue the tradition of NFLU, while cherry picking the best of the best across the nation. Imo, we would avg. 5-7 1st round guys/yr, while flooding the NFL w/ about 12-15 guys total drafted/yearly.
If Portis doesn't fumble...we win...

Butch will be on campus in Oct. I'm driving down with him. Won't get into why he's gonna be there. (nothing to do with coming back in any capacity) but he'll 100% be there.
Butch would have won more NCs than Saban if shalalalala's *** had never come near Miami. there is no way to adequately say "thank you" to Butch
for the miracle job he did in the 90s to save the Miami program.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Butch would have won more NCs than Saban if shalalalala's *** had never come near Miami. there is no way to adequately say "thank you" to Butch
for the miracle job he did in the 90s to save the Miami program.
To be Honest...I don't think Butch would have Won more than Saban...Why??..because Butch didn't have a Brinks truck at his disposal for 6yrs like Saban...Butch had an administration that practically loathed him aside from a few. Saban had/has an administration who thinks he's God. People don't realize..but Butch had an offer to be Alabama's HC way before Saban, and politely turned it down.

Advertisement
Back