Kyle Wright - What was his ceiling?

In 86 I saw Testaverde throw passes at GreenTree that honestly made you shake your head. Dude had a Howitzer....and all BS aside...so did Covington. Scott has the most underrated Arm in UM History, plain & simple.
Ask @Brooklyndee the story when the Cora Brothers from the Baseball team were playing catch with Covington...and Scott broke either Alex or Joey's hand with a pass. It enraged Jim Morris, and the baseball players were prohibited from doing that anymore....Lol...True story
Alex. We used to always play on the intramural field with them. Kenard told me a story with turtle thomas & buddy who's the pitching coach now(forget his name)think he was from westminster that started at the bowling alley(strikes =beers for any who don't know our old stories. Shots years later) & turned into drunken racing on the intramural field where that pitcher ran into a light pole when it was pitch black outside and broke his nose... They always came out on the bad end with us.

Advertisement
Alex. We used to always play on the intramural field with them. Kenard told me a story with turtle thomas & buddy who's the pitching coach now(forget his name)think he was from westminster that started at the bowling alley(strikes =beers for any who don't know our old stories. Shots years later) & turned into drunken racing on the intramural field where that pitcher ran into a light pole when it was pitch black outside and broke his nose... They always came out on the bad end with us.
I loved Turtle...and Lol at Kenard....D...wasn't Kenard barred from the Light because of something...Lol @Brooklyndee ....you thinking of J.D Arteaga..

Back to Kyle Wright, as I’ve said before, TVD is who KW was SUPPOSED to be.

And I don’t want to hear about how physically gifted Wright was. The “looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane” thing gets old after a while.

They treated Butch like sh*t....from the second he hit campus, they nit-picked and Nickle & dimed him to death. They really Harped on him in ref to recruiting expenditures (trips and what nots)...but what tf did they expect??....Our recruiting trips pulled in the likes of Reed...Wayne..etc...I will take it to my Grave that UMs administration never in a million yrs thought Butch would pull UM through an absolute **** hole, and on to building the best team in NCAA History.
He should have been made the Highest paid coach in CFB at the end of 2000...with a large amount of incentives.
what Butch did at UM was arguably the greatest pure coaching job ever done ... those sanctions were supposed to be a program killer

The next Dan Marino. The word was the city of Miami hadn’t seen an arm like this since Marino left the Dolphins… kid got f***** over in so many ways under Coker and his laughing stock staff.

Make no mistake about it Wright is the most physically gifted QB to ever walk the halls of UM and I’ll stand by that till the day I die.
Til the day Addae?

Advertisement
Butch and Portis NEVER saw eye to eye....Butch Loved James Jackson. Same thing with Carlos Jones..Got in Butch's Doghouse...and that was that. Butch (and my cousin) Loved @Brooklyndee they Loved the kids who fought like Mad to not only be a Cane...but to excel..
Didn’t portis bully Willis?

what Butch did at UM was arguably the greatest pure coaching job ever done ... those sanctions were supposed to be a program killer
With 11 schollies right off the bat in 95....MFers had the nerve to fly a banner in 97 not understanding it was Ericksons doings, or should I say, his undoings that were the culprit. Lol at that F*ck banner....I was standing not 100ft from Butch when they flew the Banner. Azzwipes.....3yrs later we had the Greatest team in NCAA History.

Last edited:
Advertisement
In 86 I saw Testaverde throw passes at GreenTree that honestly made you shake your head. Dude had a Howitzer....and all BS aside...so did Covington. Scott has the most underrated Arm in UM History, plain & simple.
Ask @Brooklyndee the story when the Cora Brothers from the Baseball team were playing catch with Covington...and Scott broke either Alex or Joey's hand with a pass. It enraged Jim Morris, and the baseball players were prohibited from doing that anymore....Lol...True story
Covington threw a beautiful looking pass I remember as well. Tight spiral.

Lol, JD?

They treated Butch like sh*t....from the second he hit campus, they nit-picked and Nickle & dimed him to death. They really Harped on him in ref to recruiting expenditures (trips and what nots)...but what tf did they expect??....Our recruiting trips pulled in the likes of Reed...Wayne..etc...I will take it to my Grave that UMs administration never in a million yrs thought Butch would pull UM through an absolute **** hole, and on to building the best team in NCAA History.
He should have been made the Highest paid coach in CFB at the end of 2000...with a large amount of incentives.
It’s amazing to think that 25-30 years ago college administrations held the educational reputation of their school in far higher regard and importance than academics. I distinctly remember UF’s President musing in the media in 1990 or 1991 about the need to deemphasize his own Gators program, that football had taken too much precedence or something like that. One can imagine that various faculty were embarassed by the biased attention that the Hurricanes program was receiving from the media and wanted it all to go away, no matter the benefits that the school received.

He’s not a “what if.” We know exactly what he was.

He was horrible. He had zero feel for the game and constantly sacked himself. All you need to know is that in 2004, after Berlin had played well against GT, Wright comes in and sacks himself like four times in nine plays. People said “oh he’s just young.” No, that was just him. He had the worst pocket presence I’ve ever seen.

His problem was not a lack of WRs, or anything really other than sucking. He was a robot, not a QB. He could not throw a deep ball AT ALL, took way too long to get rid of the ball, and the only time he was even serviceable was when Tyrone Moss was carrying the offense.

We had a bunch of different coordinators because Wright sucked, but Coker didn’t recruit anybody to take the reigns from him. So we were rotating coordinators thinking they’d be the savior because nobody wanted to admit that Wright was one of
The biggest busts in CFB history.

The issue wasn’t coordinators. If The program had been running properly, Wright would have never played and would have transfered.
The key was Dan Werner who did an excellent job with Brock in 2004. Wright had a solid 2005 season and then Clappy threw Werner under the bus. How was a QB going to survive Rich Olson and Patrick Nix the next two years?

Last edited:
Advertisement
The key was Dan Werner who did an excellent job with Brock in 2004. Wright had a solid 2005 season and then Clappy threw Werner under the bus. How was a QB going to survive Rich Olson and Patrick Nix the next two years?
Clappy threw Sarge and Kehoe under the bus as well...

Advertisement
1662489516867.png

Advertisement
Back