Kyle Wright - What was his ceiling?

GojiraCane

All ACC
The Brock Berlin thread got me thinking about Kyle Wright - while I would agree that he was probably never going to be an all-time great, he remains one of the great "what-ifs" in Miami Hurricanes history. I think we never got to see his true potential, because not only did Miami get worse from a talent perspective during his tenure, it got a lot worse. He faced challenges that not even Ryan Clement saw in 1997.

Literally, Miami ran out of wide receivers.

In 2005, Miami featured a wide receiver roster that had dwindled to seven players: Ryan Moore, Akiem Jolla, Sinorice Moss, Devin Hester, Lance Leggett, Darnell Jenkins, Khalil Jones. Miami had failed to sign a single wide receiver in the 2005 class, and had signed only three in the last three classes. This would be Wright's best year statistically, has he finished the season with 2,403 yards passing, 18 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. It would also be by far the most talented supporting cast that he had in his three years of starting.

In 2006, the Hurricanes were able to sign two wide receivers (Sam Shields and George Robinson). But they lost Devin Hester, Sinorice Moss, and Akiem Jolla. Ryan Moore would be suspended for half of the season. That left Miami with just five wide receivers. The Canes converted defensive backs Ryan Hill and Terrell Walden to wide receiver to provide additional depth, and also used punter Brian Monroe as a wide receiver in practice. Clearly, this was not the same offense as what had been fielded a year earlier, and coupled with learning a new offense Wright's stats took a big hit. He finished with 1,655 yards passing, 8 touchdowns and 7 interceptions. The Hurricanes barely averaged more than 20 points a game, wasting what was probably the last truly strong defense that Miami would see until Diaz became defensive coordinator.

In 2007, the situation was got even worse. Miami signed three wide receivers (Kayne Farquharson, Leonard Hankerson, and Jermaine McKenzie). But McKenzie would not play that season due to an auto accident, while the Hurricanes lost three more players - Moore, Walden, and Robinson. This left Miami with just seven players: Lance Leggett, Darnell Jenkins, Khalil Jones, Sam Shields, converted DB Ryan Hill, Kayne Farquaharson, and Leonard Hankerson. The Canes were razor thin once more, and were more suited to run a Georgia Tech triple option offense than a traditional pro-set attack. Quarterback Kyle Wright had to learn his third offense in three years, and coupled with the thin cast showed only minimal improvement in his final year. He finished with 1,747 yards passing, 12 touchdowns, and 14 interceptions.

So what if? What if Miami had been able to keep numbers at a stable level, rather than going three years and signing just three players? Wright might have been able to duplicate or improve on his 2005 campaign, and potentially lead the Hurricanes to a 11 win regular season mark. Except for Louisville, all of the Hurricanes losses were close that year, and the outsize factor was the anemic offense.

Curious what you all think.

Advertisement
He’s not a “what if.” We know exactly what he was.

He was horrible. He had zero feel for the game and constantly sacked himself. All you need to know is that in 2004, after Berlin had played well against GT, Wright comes in and sacks himself like four times in nine plays. People said “oh he’s just young.” No, that was just him. He had the worst pocket presence I’ve ever seen.

His problem was not a lack of WRs, or anything really other than sucking. He was a robot, not a QB. He could not throw a deep ball AT ALL, took way too long to get rid of the ball, and the only time he was even serviceable was when Tyrone Moss was carrying the offense.

We had a bunch of different coordinators because Wright sucked, but Coker didn’t recruit anybody to take the reigns from him. So we were rotating coordinators thinking they’d be the savior because nobody wanted to admit that Wright was one of
The biggest busts in CFB history.

The issue wasn’t coordinators. If The program had been running properly, Wright would have never played and would have transfered.

kyle Wright was not given a fair shot. Biggest issues tho we’re the diminished oline talent and the OC changes. Those were even detrimental to him then the WR situation which in itself was terrible..kid was the number QB out of HS and threw a pretty ball. Could make any throw to any depth of the feild. But he only had a Fastball or Deeeeeppp ball lol. Wrs are still chasing some of his 9 routes

He was horrible. He had zero feel for the game and constantly sacked himself. All you need to know is that in 2004, after Berlin had played well against GT, Wright comes in and sacks himself like four times in nine plays. People said “oh he’s just young.” No, that was just him. He had the worst pocket presence I’ve ever seen.

His problem was not a lack of WRs, or anything really other than sucking. He was a robot, not a QB. He could not throw a deep ball AT ALL, took way too long to get rid of the ball, and the only time he was even serviceable was when Tyrone Moss was carrying the offense.

We had a bunch of different coordinators because Wright sucked, but Coker didn’t recruit anybody to take the reigns from him. So we were rotating coordinators thinking they’d be the savior because nobody wanted to admit that Wright was one of

The issue wasn’t coordinators. If The program had been running properly, Wright would have never played and would have transfered.
Your talking about 2 5star QBs who struggled here at that time. So it’s not just the player. Our oline situation was TERRIBLE then.

Advertisement
I call bull****. That group of wr in 2007 had major talent. Khalil Phillips was built like TO. Hank was underutilized despite being the main end zone Target and went on to be a UM great. nuke is underrated as any cane has ever been. Shields had 4.3 speed. Kayne was a favorite of mine. Almost caught that one against UNC from Marve to win it.

The offense as a whole was in shambles. There's noone to blame for the hurting of Kyle wright other than coaches.

Your talking about 2 5star QBs who struggled here at that time. So it’s not just the player. Our oline situation was TERRIBLE then.

No it really wasn’t and that’s revisionist history. We had a very good OL in 03, and in 04, Berlin barely got touched. He got sacked 18 times total. The OL and Tyrone Moss specifically made Wright look marginally serviceable in 05. But when Moss got hurt and Wright had to make plays himself, the offense disintegrated.

Wright got sacked 6 times in 2004 and he dropped back to pass FIFTEEN times the entire season. He was terrible and had the worst pocket presence of any QB to ever play at UM.

Wright didn’t make it past his first NFL mini camp.

OOPS%252C%2BOUCH%2521%2BNOTE%2BTO%2BSELF%2BNEVER%2BLOOK%2BAT%2BPRETTY%2BGIRLS%2BON%2BTREADMILL.gif

Advertisement

This.

Dude had a different OC every year. He was a victim of Coker and his regime just like every defensive player that played under Golden and No D.

He got worse every year that he was here which was 100% a coaching issue.
He wasn’t good enough to make anyone around him better

I call bull****. That group of wr in 2007 had major talent. Khalil Phillips was built like TO. Hank was underutilized despite being the main end zone Target and went on to be a UM great. nuke is underrated as any cane has ever been. Shields had 4.3 speed. Kayne was a favorite of mine. Almost caught that one against UNC from Marve to win it.

The offense as a whole was in shambles. There's noone to blame for the hurting of Kyle wright other than coaches.

It had talent - indeed, it has Leonard Hankerson. But it had freshman Hankerson. Shields was in Randy's doghouse.

Again, what was a better cast?
2005:
WR: (7) Ryan Moore (5 star), Akiem Jolla (4 star), Sinorice Moss (3 star), Devin Hester (5 star), Lance Leggett (4 star), Darnell Jenkins (4 star), Khalil Jones (2 stars)
TE: Greg Olsen, Buck Ortega, Dajleon Farr, Chris Zellner
HB: Tyrone Moss, Quatrine Hill, Charlie Jones, Derron Thomas, Andrew Johnson

2007 (7) Lance Leggett (5 star), Darnell Jenkins (4 star), Khalil Jones (2 star), Sam Shields (4 star), converted DB Ryan Hill (4 star CB), Kayne Farquaharson (unranked), and Leonard Hankerson (3 stars)
TE: Richard Gordon, Chris Zellner, Derick Epps, Dajleon Farr
HB: Javarris James, Graig Cooper, Derron Thomas, Shawnberry McNeil

I'd give the edge at running back to Cooper and a healthy Javarris James, but the wide receiver cast was much better in 2005. And Greg Olsen was an NFL level tight end.

What happened to Miami in 2003 - 2006 is a great headscratcher for me. How does a team that competed for two consecutive national championships (2001 - 2002) and had three strong seasons afterwards only recruit a total of five wide receivers over four years, and just two quarterbacks. We lost wide receivers to not only FSU, but Syracuse!

hank early on wasn't good

Advertisement
I would take frosh Hank over last year's cager JS

well yeah lol. hes also a super nice dude and played AAU basketball (had a class or two with him)

loved the way he improved towards the end of his career. sucked he wasnt a good pro but it happens

Advertisement
well yeah lol. hes also a super nice dude and played AAU basketball (had a class or two with him)

loved the way he improved towards the end of his career. sucked he wasnt a good pro but it happens

Injuries my dude. He was AR82. Both of which are all time favs of mine.

Advertisement
Back