Kyle Wright - What was his ceiling?

Advertisement
tenor.gif

He’s not a “what if.” We know exactly what he was.

He was horrible. He had zero feel for the game and constantly sacked himself. All you need to know is that in 2004, after Berlin had played well against GT, Wright comes in and sacks himself like four times in nine plays. People said “oh he’s just young.” No, that was just him. He had the worst pocket presence I’ve ever seen.

His problem was not a lack of WRs, or anything really other than sucking. He was a robot, not a QB. He could not throw a deep ball AT ALL, took way too long to get rid of the ball, and the only time he was even serviceable was when Tyrone Moss was carrying the offense.

We had a bunch of different coordinators because Wright sucked, but Coker didn’t recruit anybody to take the reigns from him. So we were rotating coordinators thinking they’d be the savior because nobody wanted to admit that Wright was one of
The biggest busts in CFB history.

The issue wasn’t coordinators. If The program had been running properly, Wright would have never played and would have transfered.
This manifesto is perfect. All the explanation that you ever need regarding Kyle Wright. I have never seen worse pocket awareness in a college player. You could of had the Cowboys line from the 90s and he still would of been sacked 50% of the time.

I call bull****. That group of wr in 2007 had major talent. Khalil Phillips was built like TO. Hank was underutilized despite being the main end zone Target and went on to be a UM great. nuke is underrated as any cane has ever been. Shields had 4.3 speed. Kayne was a favorite of mine. Almost caught that one against UNC from Marve to win it.

The offense as a whole was in shambles. There's noone to blame for the hurting of Kyle wright other than coaches.
Uncle Hank didn’t play a role in the O with Kyle and their had never been a kahil Phillips enrolleed at UM..ever. I believe your thinking of captain Phillips or kahil Jones ..you know, for a mod I expect you to know your stuff. Study more. Expect better
Don’t ban me tho 😉

Advertisement
No it really wasn’t and that’s revisionist history. We had a very good OL in 03, and in 04, Berlin barely got touched. He got sacked 18 times total. The OL and Tyrone Moss specifically made Wright look marginally serviceable in 05. But when Moss got hurt and Wright had to make plays himself, the offense disintegrated.

Wright got sacked 6 times in 2004 and he dropped back to pass FIFTEEN times the entire season. He was terrible and had the worst pocket presence of any QB to ever play at UM.

Wright didn’t make it past his first NFL mini camp.
Kyle Wright was a starter in 05”. The oline was good. In 06 it was bad. In 07” it was terrible. The man was beat up. Plus there was no offensive stability staff wise. Along with terrible recruiting.

Knowing these facts it’s safe to say we didn’t develop him properly. More proof to point is the bust that Kirby freeman was here to. Say what u want but those two were no given a fair shot here due to the state of the program at the time.

Coaching matters. Jacory Harris was broken after his Jr year until he partnered up with Jedd his SR year

The thing with KW is we as fans placed a very high ceiling/expectation on him, because we were looking for him to "deliver" us from the consistent ineptitude's of Berlin. I liked BB, but he had glowing flaws and inconsistencies especially staring down receivers. KW wasn't nearly the deliverer we thought he'd be. I wonder how much of that was on development.

Look at Kyle Wright's early numbers here. They were rock solid and his future looked very bright.

That kid regressed every year in large part to atrocious and inconsistent coaching. By the end of his career here he was beat to **** and had no idea how to fix himself.

Unfortunately he was a bust. I don’t think he would have ever been the type of QB he was billed to be. But I do think he could have been better than he was.

For me, when he would get in games in garbage time for some reason he always looked shooked and gun shy. He never looked comfortable at the college level in the pocket. His experience at VaTech pretty much ruined him for life.

Now there were many coaching changes around him and at least 50% of those change have to do with him. Since he was believed to be talented and the team also talented and not getting results there was pressure to change coaches to someone who could get something out of him. Not saying those were the best coaching hires but pretty much no one could get anything out of him so it was a revolving door.

Advertisement
kyle Wright was not given a fair shot. Biggest issues tho we’re the diminished oline talent and the OC changes. Those were even detrimental to him then the WR situation which in itself was terrible..kid was the number QB out of HS and threw a pretty ball.

lol

He’s not a “what if.” We know exactly what he was.

He was horrible. He had zero feel for the game and constantly sacked himself. All you need to know is that in 2004, after Berlin had played well against GT, Wright comes in and sacks himself like four times in nine plays. People said “oh he’s just young.” No, that was just him. He had the worst pocket presence I’ve ever seen.

His problem was not a lack of WRs, or anything really other than sucking. He was a robot, not a QB. He could not throw a deep ball AT ALL, took way too long to get rid of the ball, and the only time he was even serviceable was when Tyrone Moss was carrying the offense.

We had a bunch of different coordinators because Wright sucked, but Coker didn’t recruit anybody to take the reigns from him. So we were rotating coordinators thinking they’d be the savior because nobody wanted to admit that Wright was one of
The biggest busts in CFB history.

The issue wasn’t coordinators. If The program had been running properly, Wright would have never played and would have transfered.

I was at that game and difference between Berlin and Wright was huge. Berlin had been carving up the defense and Wright came in and looked completely unprepared. I don't care how young a QB is, when they have what it takes, it's obvious from the start. They might make some mistakes, but overall, the offense "works". Lawrence was made the started at Clemson for a reason. Fromm looked better in his first spring game than Eason did, and the offense looked better as soon as he came in when Eason was injured. Wright just couldn't process what he saw. I know there were rumors about his lack of preparation off the field, but I'm not sure that would have helped.

His experience at VaTech pretty much ruined him for life.

Sure you don't mean vs Louisville at Louisville in 06'? If so, I agree...Louisville was sending the house **** near every play, and Olson steady kept calling these long developing play action passes.

Advertisement
Uncle Hank didn’t play a role in the O with Kyle and their had never been a kahil Phillips enrolleed at UM..ever. I believe your thinking of captain Phillips or kahil Jones ..you know, for a mod I expect you to know your stuff. Study more. Expect better
Don’t ban me tho 😉

Hank had multiple TD that year.

Idk what captain Phillips is but I played ball with Khalil Phillips and that's the name I happened to type out. Yes mr Jones was the culprit.

Also I promise being a mod has nothing to do with my knowledge of football. I don't google and smoke alot of weed. Ease off the kid.

Hank had multiple TD that year.

Idk what captain Phillips is but I played ball with Khalil Phillips and that's the name I happened to type out. Yes mr Jones was the culprit.

Also I promise being a mod has nothing to do with my knowledge of football. I don't google and smoke alot of weed. Ease off the kid.

Hankerson only had 1 TD in 07', but I do agree with the sentiment that He should've played more.

But I think the coaching staff was expecting Leggett to have a big Sr. year in 07', so maybe that's why Hank didn't play that much.

IMHO, Leggett had AJ Green type physical metrics, but for whatever reason He could never put it all together.

Advertisement
What if wright had ken Dorsey’s Oline and WR,RB?

Wouldn't have mattered. If your preparation is poor at QB (coaching, development, film study), it matters not what kind of skills surround you or what type of arm talent you bring.

Unfortunately he was a bust. I don’t think he would have ever been the type of QB he was billed to be. But I do think he could have been better than he was.

Pretty much this.

The dude was a National Gatorade Player of the Year, can't-miss, blue-chip, 5-star QB coming out of high school. The buzz was that a QB with an arm like this hadn't been seen in Miami since Marino retired.

It never materialized.

He had some decent games, but he just was never the QB he was supposed to be. Watch his film. He had that weird squatting down thing that he did just as he was about to release the ball. It didn't work.

He is the all-time "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" QB in UM history, IMO.

Advertisement
Back