Kyle Wright - What was his ceiling?

Mario and Butch are EXTREMELY close...and have been for yrs...It was Butch who gave Mario his start as a GA in 98, and Mario has never forgot. As far as Zo....I'm sure Butch has a good relationship with him. As you know, Zo was a RB on UM teams while Butch was the DL coach. Butch's favorite assistants from back in the day were Sarge (Soldinger).....Kehoe and Pagano.
I always hear Mario bring up Butch and JJ when discussing the direction of the program and what he learned from those guys.

Advertisement
It had talent - indeed, it has Leonard Hankerson. But it had freshman Hankerson. Shields was in Randy's doghouse.

Again, what was a better cast?
2005:
WR: (7) Ryan Moore (5 star), Akiem Jolla (4 star), Sinorice Moss (3 star), Devin Hester (5 star), Lance Leggett (4 star), Darnell Jenkins (4 star), Khalil Jones (2 stars)
TE: Greg Olsen, Buck Ortega, Dajleon Farr, Chris Zellner
HB: Tyrone Moss, Quatrine Hill, Charlie Jones, Derron Thomas, Andrew Johnson

2007 (7) Lance Leggett (5 star), Darnell Jenkins (4 star), Khalil Jones (2 star), Sam Shields (4 star), converted DB Ryan Hill (4 star CB), Kayne Farquaharson (unranked), and Leonard Hankerson (3 stars)
TE: Richard Gordon, Chris Zellner, Derick Epps, Dajleon Farr
HB: Javarris James, Graig Cooper, Derron Thomas, Shawnberry McNeil

I'd give the edge at running back to Cooper and a healthy Javarris James, but the wide receiver cast was much better in 2005. And Greg Olsen was an NFL level tight end.

What happened to Miami in 2003 - 2006 is a great headscratcher for me. How does a team that competed for two consecutive national championships (2001 - 2002) and had three strong seasons afterwards only recruit a total of five wide receivers over four years, and just two quarterbacks. We lost wide receivers to not only FSU, but Syracuse!
We had a year we did not recruit a single skill position. No QB, no RB, no WR.

I always hear Mario bring up Butch and JJ when discussing the direction of the program and what he learned from those guys.
Noticeably not mentioned is Dennis Erickson, who Mario played for his entire college career. I've never heard Mario mention him.

We had a year we did not recruit a single skill position. No QB, no RB, no WR.
I still remember losing a WR recruit at the last moment to lowly Syracuse.

And of course, thinking we had Preston Parker locked up to go with Sam Shields, only to lose the former to FSU.

To think that Coker completely wiffed 2005 and brought in no wide receivers, then got just one in 2006 (excluding two star Robinson) was incredible. You would think that at least half a dozen three star players would be willing to play for the Miami Hurricanes at that time.

Perhaps we were offering negative bags to receivers..ie the recruits had to give bags of money to Miami to attend.

Advertisement
Noticeably not mentioned is Dennis Erickson, who Mario played for his entire college career. I've never heard Mario mention him.
Come to think of it, me either:ROFLMAO:. Never really liked Erickson anyway. As far as I am concerned he got credit for 2 titles on teams JJ built.

Advertisement
Wasn't much of a football player, but he has been dealing with the Braves recently. Nice rebound for him.
Are u talking bout kyle wright the pitcher from vandy?
Last I heard of him he was spine rep out in Cali
A buddy of mine used him for a few of his surgeries

He just wiggled out of a bases loaded jam in the 2nd vs. the Giants.

The other KW had terrible pocket presence.

He also overstrided when he threw and it made him like a 5'11 QB, ball tended to sail.

Advertisement
Back