Kirby fart

They won’t have an elite defense. They’ll be improved I think on defense and way worse on offense. They think that Mullet the elite QB whisperer genius is just going to scheme that O with Emory Jones to a top tier.
I think it will be pretty good, but that offense? Yikes! If Dan can average 25+ a game with that I will be surprised. I'm with you here RVA, 4 losses minimum for them reptiles minimum, and we steal some croots!

Advertisement
I mean, that's all fine, but it sounds pathetic for us to sit here and chirp about UGA being irrelevant and Kirby being a bad coach. We are far less relevant and our coach cowers under the dining room table every time Mack Brown enters the vicinity.

I don't think they are irrelevant. The question was which team "does less with more." Miami doesn't even remotely belong in that conversation. The schools that DO belong in that conversation are Texas (1 championship since 1970), Ohio State (2 natties since 1970, one of which was outright stolen from Miami), and UGA (1 since 1942). Programs that spend hundreds of millions each year (if you add it all up, each program has made several billion dollars from football alone) should be winning a title once a decade, at minimum.

Advertisement
Lots of Kirby praise in here...why?

Guy walked into a job and was given a blank checkbook. Sits in some of the most fertile recruiting grounds with no instate competition unlike us.

This point in his tenure he has the same record, same amount of SEC titles like Mark Richt.

I don't think they are irrelevant. The question was which team "does less with more." Miami doesn't even remotely belong in that conversation. The schools that DO belong in that conversation are Texas (1 championship since 1970), Ohio State (2 natties since 1970, one of which was outright stolen from Miami), and UGA (1 since 1942). Programs that spend hundreds of millions each year (if you add it all up, each program has made several billion dollars from football alone) should be winning a title once a decade, at minimum.
Two years ago we were in that discussion, we broke records for underachieving. May be on a better path now though

Lots of Kirby praise in here...why?

Guy walked into a job and was given a blank checkbook. Sits in some of the most fertile recruiting grounds with no instate competition unlike us.

This point in his tenure he has the same record, same amount of SEC titles like Mark Richt.

Some of the fans on here will never miss a chance to turn any topic into an opportunity to **** all over our program, coach and team

Advertisement
I wouldn’t call Kirby elite just yet. He is however very very good. UGA has been an ELITE recruiter since he’s been there and has had success in development. They always have a top 10(usually top 5) defense. Where he’s deficient is, is his offense acumen. They’re still trying to go power run in a spread era and he misses on QB’s( most important on field) like it’s nobody’s business. Kirby isn’t elite but he has the potential to be. I kinda put him in the same ring as Mario Cristobal. Now, I personally think Jimbo Fisher is elite. He has TX playing second fiddle to A&M, he’s got a championship on his own, is an excellent recruiter, can develop the QB well and has had good defenses since he’s taken over at TAMU. I think between the two, he’s the better coach and will win another natty before Kirby wins one. Jimbo is elite.

Two years ago we were in that discussion, we broke records for underachieving. May be on a better path now though

How did we break a record for underachieving two years ago? Are you talking about Richt's last season when we went 7-6? Per 247, Miami was #17 in the country in terms of overall talent. FSU was #5 in overall talent and they didn't even break .500. It was certainly a disappointing season, but we had mediocre talent to start with, we finished above .500, and we made it to a bowl game. There were a handful of other teams that had more talent and finished with records as bad or worse. 2018 is not remotely close to breaking a record for underachieving. That's not to say it was a good season or one to be proud of, but if you are talking about 2018, you are vastly blowing it out of proportion to label that season as record-breaking underachievement.

How is he elite??? Am I missing something paul finebaum just said that when a caller said kirby is overrated lol??

Bro; it’s Paul Finebaum. Dude would say Butch Jones was elite. If Paul was back in biblical times, while Moses was preaching let his ppl go, Finebaum would chime in & say Pharoah was elite. True story

I wouldn’t call Kirby elite just yet. He is however very very good. UGA has been an ELITE recruiter since he’s been there and has had success in development. They always have a top 10(usually top 5) defense. Where he’s deficient is, is his offense acumen. They’re still trying to go power run in a spread era and he misses on QB’s( most important on field) like it’s nobody’s business. Kirby isn’t elite but he has the potential to be. I kinda put him in the same ring as Mario Cristobal. Now, I personally think Jimbo Fisher is elite. He has TX playing second fiddle to A&M, he’s got a championship on his own, is an excellent recruiter, can develop the QB well and has had good defenses since he’s taken over at TAMU. I think between the two, he’s the better coach and will win another natty before Kirby wins one. Jimbo is elite.

If I could pick from any active head coach in CFB not named Saban to be Miami's HC- I would go with

#1 Jimbo
#2a Kelly
#2b Swinney

I would honestly take Butch Davis back as HC before Kirby Smart. I'd take Mullet over Smart as well (since CFB is all about offense now and I can't argue that Mullet isn't an offensive genius). Hiring Smart would be like hiring a far more expensive Mark Richt without the S. Florida connections. The only think Smart is doing differently than Richt is that he has less of a problem with being dirty. UGA Richt likely knew that UGA boosters were doing typical booster things and incentivizing recruits but he looked the other way and I don't think he actively solicited payments for players, whereas Smart plays the game just as dirty as Saban does. That wouldn't help very much at a school that doesn't have bags (again, see Richt).

Advertisement
Take Saban away from Bama and we would likely be having a very different conversation. Even with him there, Georgia has been on the doorstep. It's crazy to me how people here try and diminish anything any other team does. Makes us look even sillier. Watch as the Bama game draws near, the we gonna win crowd will surge as Bama gets talked down.

@OriginalCanesCanesCanes ...I don't often disagree with you...but I for one am not entirely sold on Lashlee....

I’m not entirely sold on anybody either until I have a few years of receipts. But he significantly improved the offense last year, made it more than respectable, obviously he had King, and he also had a couple guys playing that had clapboards for hands, but still. I think he’s going to do very well this year, assuming King is healthy.

Advertisement
Bro; it’s Paul Finebaum. Dude would say Butch Jones was elite. If Paul was back in biblical times, while Moses was preaching let his ppl go, Finebaum would chime in & say Pharoah was elite. True story
Check This Out GIF

he elites high level players puts them in the league and they rep UGA, thats the only thing he does. He has a ton of talent but apparently they choke in big games and they have to deal with saban

@OriginalCanesCanesCanes ...I don't often disagree with you...but I for one am not entirely sold on Lashlee....

I'm with you on this one. I was hoping Lashlee would pull a rabbit out of his hat against Clemson like Mullen did against Bama. I'm not overly concerned about the lack of creativity in most of the other games, a W is a W. If Lashlee thinks the best strategy in a particular game is to run the ball up the middle 50 times and that works, I'm not going to complain that he didn't throw in a flea flicker for my entertainment. However, in the games where I thought that Miami's chances heavily depended on a clever coach outscheming the opponent, I was rather disappointed. Clemson makes a lot of teams look bad, but I think an elite OC at least makes it look competitive. UNC is one where we want to (rightfully) crush the defense for a pathetic performance, but we only scored 26 points on a not particular good defense at home! If we'd lost 62-45 then I'd say that Lashlee pulled his weight and did what he gets paid to do. Unfortunately the offense looked as pathetic as the defense against UNC. Lashlee failed just as much at his job as Blake Baker did. I give him credit though for OK St, that was a good performance despite the L.

Advertisement
Back