Kevin Patrick - Big3R - Stretch of a stretch but

That was in 2013 and Mario had just been fired from FIU. Buyout language is becoming more and more prevalent in assistant contracts (especially extensions) because of the carousel that is is coaching. These schools are no longer making first time commitments without protecting their backside, you're nuts if you believe otherwise.
I don’t think anyone is saying any definitive yes or no on any buyout clause. I think there are differences of opinion on how much it’s going to cost. Also, while buyouts are becoming more prevalent there is a lot of language to prevent absolutes on both sides. One thing is certain, if there is a buyout and if it is a nice chunk and UM pays it; then we will know both how dedicated the school is and also what the financial status of the program is.
Most importantly, and IDK if anyone has brought it up, butwhat is cmr’s opinion on Patrick? Any pre or postgame interviews where he mentions him.

Advertisement
One other counterpoint, not trying to snowball but just noticed. Those aren't exactly top coordinators. Dude from Temple and a dude from Wash St. Not top Coordinators.

Grinch came into Wash St. and turned they defense from one of the worst in the nation to a very solid defense in the PAC against real good offenses. To have him come in and be CO-DC is crazy. Then they got Schiano to tell the Pats to kick rock. Then they got Johnson who was a DC to come in and be a CB Coach. Come on you gotta admit that ***** crazy. Then Miami comes in and hires patke. FOH.

You understand the business my man!
So what happened to kool’s contract?
I would assume KP would take the same amount he is making at NC State to go to a MUCH better school, his alma mater, his home town, no state income tax, and fantastic job security under Richt.

It is what it is but would love to know what went down with Kul.
This.
All this talk of buyouts for other coaches but no one is talking about our situation with kool. Did we get a fat check from Bama?
Or were our lawyers not up to par with the so called ridiculous buy out extension mega contract that N.C. state gave KP?

This.
All this talk of buyouts for other coaches but no one is talking about our situation with kool. Did we get a fat check from Bama?
Or were our lawyers not up to par with the so called ridiculous buy out extension mega contract that N.C. state gave KP?

Man you guys are caught up, more and more schools are including buyouts. Especially programs like NC State that are wading into these high dollar contracts for the first time. They re-upped Doeren and staff to get them on par with the rest of the ACC, and let him offer 3 year extensions for the first time..in turn they protected their a$$. Maybe Kul had a little more bargaining power at the time or Richt doesn't play that game. Nobody said it happens in every assistant's contract.

Aside from the buyout I don't think KP is the type to turn his back on a commitment he just made within a week of this job opening. Like I said I don't think he will even interview. If the timing was different I think this would have been a great hire and a win-win for both sides.

This.
We are not in Bama's league when it comes to money for coaches. Saban makes 11 million plus a year and their entire staff's total salary is close to 20 million. Kool will make over a million so he can take the hit for leaving UM early.

Advertisement
How so? In what way - as a position coach - would Kevin Patrick be any more "loyal to Miami" than Kevin Beard or Mario Cristobal or anyone else?
Kevin beard? He didn’t have an option to stay.
Cristobal it’s simple, be coached under golden or get paid double of what you were making at Miami and get his name in the running for other jobs. It seemed to work out well for him as he’s the head coach of Oregon. You are absolutely right though, every cane won’t be loyal to program but most would imo

Why do you think Patke's our 10th coach and Urban can go out and get a top COORDINATOR as his 10th. Some schools are flush with it and we aren't, bruh. Don't give me nonsense about a billion dollar endowment, look around at the projects that are upgrading campus if you want to know where that money is going. If KP put pen to paper on an 3-year extension last week, he isn't coming period.

Yep. Look how we're going around begging for less than $1M to pay off the IPF costs. That is not what a school flush with money to spend on athletics would do. In fact, if it weren't for CMR, does anyone think an IPF would've even been on anyone in the Administration's mind? I don't.

Man you guys are caught up, more and more schools are including buyouts. Especially programs like NC State that are wading into these high dollar contracts for the first time. They re-upped Doeren and staff to get them on par with the rest of the ACC, and let him offer 3 year extensions for the first time..in turn they protected their a$$. Maybe Kul had a little more bargaining power at the time or Richt doesn't play that game. Nobody said it happens in every assistant's contract.
So what do you think the terms would be for us to get him? TAMU didn’t pay FSU from what I recall.
Unless you know the specific language of his contract I still don’t see an insurmountable sum. Especially if we don’t know what happened with kool. We don’t know what kool was making but it was enough for him not to leave to the nfl last year.
Don’t think it would be good for the morale of the defensive staf if the new D-Line coach gets he same terms, especially if he doesn’t have a track record like kool.
Not being sarcastic I’m really asking.

So what do you think the terms would be for us to get him? TAMU didn’t pay FSU from what I recall.
Unless you know the specific language of his contract I still don’t see an insurmountable sum. Especially if we don’t know what happened with kool. We don’t know what kool was making but it was enough for him not to leave to the nfl last year.
Don’t think it would be good for the morale of the defensive staf if the new D-Line coach gets he same terms, especially if he doesn’t have a track record like kool.
Not being sarcastic I’m really asking.

I honestly don't know what "terms" it would take for us to get him. I was told its not happening and it sounds like 330 has heard the same, but I don't think the new coach will make what Kul made last year. I'd imagine it will be somewhere in the 450-500k range if I had to guess

Advertisement
I honestly don't know what "terms" it would take for us to get him. I was told its not happening and it sounds like 330 has heard the same, but I don't think the new coach will make what Kul made last year. I'd imagine it will be somewhere in the 450-500k range if I had to guess
Well then let’s hope we get someone who can develop some talent then and let’s hope we don’t lose him in a year or 2. Not going anywhere unless we start to pony up. Poaching season on our assistant coaches too. Dam it mane!!

Any chance Richt comes out of pocket to help with KP's buyout. Not sure if I remember correctly but didn't he get in trouble once for paying his assistants extra money out of his own pocket?

Much respect Chise. Definitely a stretch. Grabbing at straws with the little bit of info we have. When I heard it tho his voice and reaction makes me think there is something there.

There's too much smoke not to think there is mutual interest.

By the way, saw it in another post, but FYI, assistant coaches don't have buyouts. They are on 1-year rolling employment agreements

Advertisement
Here's a quote for you if that helps:

“You’re starting to see some schools that are including these same liquidated damages provisions that you see in a head coach’s contract in assistant coaches’ contracts as well, to try to bind those assistant coaches so that if they’re good coaches and good recruiters, they don’t leave,” Reale said. “Or at least if they leave, it’s going to cost the new school, the new employer sometimes a very considerable six-figure number to hire a new assistant coach.”

That's from Jack Reale represents a handful of ACC/SEC coaches as well as some NFL guys, I'd say most notably Champ Bailey. HC buyouts get tossed around all the time because of the $$ figure attached to them but they have long been utilized. **** some places even put a non-compete in that states you can only change schools for a promotion and not a lateral move.

Lemme see the link to that so i can see the whole thing

Aside from the buyout I don't think KP is the type to turn his back on a commitment he just made within a week of this job opening. Like I said I don't think he will even interview. If the timing was different I think this would have been a great hire and a win-win for both sides.

You be surprised how you change when a job you wanted comes up

Advertisement
So we’re just assuming that Patrick has some huge buyout because he just signed an extension, and Kool doesn’t at all ? Didn’t Kool just sign an extension/raise last year ?

If Kools salary got raise enough to keep him from going to the NFL last year , why can’t we afford to pay for Patrick with that money that’s now freed up ?

Told by who ?

Patrick makes the most sense, and it's not even close. He would come here, kill it, and more than likely stick around longer than 2 years.

But is he ready to become a DC. I think why you’ll hear CP or dude from Auburn is because they probably are more prepared to take over for Diaz once he bolts for a HC gig in 2 to 3 years. In this context KP isn’t the primary choice. Either way KP, CP, or Auburn dude are all home runs.

Advertisement
Back