Kevin Patrick - Big3R - Stretch of a stretch but

Position coaches don’t have buyouts any more than 1 year of their salary

I need someone to show me one college assistant that actually has a buy-out. That's unheard of.
I'd question the common sense of anyone that agreed to sign a BO as an assistant.

Advertisement
Im still waiting for someone to tell me that position coaches have buyouts i have rarely seen that
I need someone to show me one college assistant that actually has a buy-out. That's unheard of.
I'd question the common sense of anyone that agreed to sign a BO as an assistant.

Yea ive never heard of that, position coaches flip flop all the time so every time they do that the other school buys out their whole contract I highly doubt that

Im still waiting for someone to tell me that position coaches have buyouts i have rarely seen that

Yea ive never heard of that, position coaches flip flop all the time so every time they do that the other school buys out their whole contract I highly doubt that

This is also the first time NC State has agreed to offer 3 year extensions to their assistants as long as they are extended in year 1 of Doeren's deal.

Advertisement
If you think school A is going to give a D Line coach over 1 million dollars for 3 years without there being a buyout clause you also must believe in the Easter Bunny. In your world a guy can sign a 3 year contract on February 16th and leave that job on February 20th because another school offered him more money with no ramifications.

If you think school A is going to give a D Line coach over 1 million dollars for 3 years without there being a buyout clause you also must believe in the Easter Bunny. In your world a guy can sign a 3 year contract on February 16th and leave that job on February 20th because another school offered him more money with no ramifications.

Mario did it

Advertisement
Beat me to it.

That was in 2013 and Mario had just been fired from FIU. Buyout language is becoming more and more prevalent in assistant contracts (especially extensions) because of the carousel that is is coaching. These schools are no longer making first time commitments without protecting their backside, you're nuts if you believe otherwise.

That was in 2013 and Mario had just been fired from FIU. Buyout language is becoming more and more prevalent in assistant contracts (especially extensions) because of the carousel that is is coaching. These schools are no longer making first time commitments without protecting their backside, you're nuts if you believe otherwise.

Show me proof of this thats where im getting at

Advertisement
Don’t want partridge, he’s going to look for a dc job soon, give me Patrick who is loyal to Miami

Don’t want partridge, he’s going to look for a dc job soon, give me Patrick who is loyal to Miami

How so? In what way - as a position coach - would Kevin Patrick be any more "loyal to Miami" than Kevin Beard or Mario Cristobal or anyone else?

This aint a KP comin or not thing with me this is a buyout thing with position coaches
The reason he is NOT coming is because he just signed a THREE YEAR CONTRACT last week at NC State and to void such a deal involves a buyout that would not be feasible for UM or KP.

Advertisement
Show me proof of this thats where im getting at

Here's a quote for you if that helps:

“You’re starting to see some schools that are including these same liquidated damages provisions that you see in a head coach’s contract in assistant coaches’ contracts as well, to try to bind those assistant coaches so that if they’re good coaches and good recruiters, they don’t leave,” Reale said. “Or at least if they leave, it’s going to cost the new school, the new employer sometimes a very considerable six-figure number to hire a new assistant coach.”

That's from Jack Reale represents a handful of ACC/SEC coaches as well as some NFL guys, I'd say most notably Champ Bailey. HC buyouts get tossed around all the time because of the $$ figure attached to them but they have long been utilized. **** some places even put a non-compete in that states you can only change schools for a promotion and not a lateral move.

Here's a quote for you if that helps:

“You’re starting to see some schools that are including these same liquidated damages provisions that you see in a head coach’s contract in assistant coaches’ contracts as well, to try to bind those assistant coaches so that if they’re good coaches and good recruiters, they don’t leave,” Reale said. “Or at least if they leave, it’s going to cost the new school, the new employer sometimes a very considerable six-figure number to hire a new assistant coach.”

That's from Jack Reale represents a handful of ACC/SEC coaches as well as some NFL guys, I'd say most notably Champ Bailey. HC buyouts get tossed around all the time because of the $$ figure attached to them but they have long been utilized. **** some places even put a non-compete in that states you can only change schools for a promotion and not a lateral move.
You understand the business my man!

Aside from the buyout I don't think KP is the type to turn his back on a commitment he just made within a week of this job opening. Like I said I don't think he will even interview. If the timing was different I think this would have been a great hire and a win-win for both sides.

Advertisement
Back