Josh Pate On Miami

If we finish 8-4 with a win over FSU that is solid. But it also mandates that Zo or Rad sit Mario down, look him straight in the eye and say, you stole this season from these players with your coaching.
At worse, in that scenario, we should've been 9-3. There definitely needs to be a conversation with him about gameday coaching. Make him a CEO-level CFB HC. Run recruiting, culture, build that OL, etc. But schematic stuff? Give it to your coordinators.

Advertisement
Him and Mario must be close personal friends.

There’s no way that an objective person calls 8-4 massive progress with this schedule and these results at the end of the year.
Yeah I said all off season during all these prediction threads that I don’t have a number in mind

We’ve been victims plenty of times of a record that doesn’t exactly reflect the overall direction of a program

We’ve had progress that’s been roughly equivalent to the increase in talent and that’s disappointing to me

Advertisement
8 or 9 Wins???....are you out of your F-ing mind??....
Being that I was responding to the part of the post that said, "So what if we finish 8-4 with grind it out OT wins." It's a fair statement. Context matters; not saying we finish 8-4.

If someone would've told you in August that we would go 7-5 or 8-4 with wins over TAMU and Clemson, had a top ranked Defense, and a top ranked OL you wouldn't have called that progress?

I get we can be better and our record could be better but it is progress.

Exactly.

Most fans have zero perspective once a few losses start piling up.

The emotion of running their mouths on message boards and social media platforms comes to a head and embarrassment kicks in with rival friends, co-workers or family members hits you with that, "So what happened to your Canes this weekend?" the Monday after a loss.

Again, there are examples all around college football that showcase how it takes time to rebuild.

Mike Norvell was 3-6 year one and 5-7 year two in Tallahassee—starting year two 0-4 and sitting at 3-6 on the season before 4th-and-14 and upsetting Manolo's beta Canes.

Their fanbase was melting down at this time two years ago—on the heels of a loss to North Carolina State, no less.

They wanted Norvell gone and were panicked that too much buyout money went to Willie Lump Lump to afford to get rid of the guy. THAT was the state of Florida State in November 2021.

A year later, 10-3 and by year four a 9-0 start and win-streak that just hit 15 games.

Lincoln Riley and his fast start last year, going 11-3 and smacked up twice by Utah—before losing to Tulane in a bowl game—and now on track to 7-5 this year, despite having a crybaby Heisman quarterback and a garbage defense that just saw him canning Alex Grinch this weekend.

Kirby Smart was handed a stellar program from Mark Richt; 15 years of consistency in Georgia, albeit never getting over the hump... took him until year six to win a national championship—as well as a $200,000,000 investment into football as part of UGA's "do more" campaign to get them over the hump against Alabama.

Miami football has been irrelevant for two decades; Mario the third head coach in five years and sixth in 17 seasons—but the fact this program is sitting at 6-3 (after 5-7 last year) where a pretty good quarterback has gone in the crapper with ten interceptions in two fumbles in his past three starts—y'all really can't see past that and notice marked improvement from the team of losers fielded in 2022, that was a direct result of Manolo's broken culture from 2019 through 2021?

Yeesh.

Advertisement
At worse, in that scenario, we should've been 9-3. There definitely needs to be a conversation with him about gameday coaching. Make him a CEO-level CFB HC. Run recruiting, culture, build that OL, etc. But schematic stuff? Give it to your coordinators.

Right. Mario succeeding at Miami is a win win for all of us. But I think many feel he needs to be a CEO/Recruiter and hire great coordinators he let’s cook… cooking on like a modern big green egg, not rubbing two sticks together …

There’s something underlying we’re not seeing that has caused the season to just go straight into the tank offensively.

You don’t go from 38ppg to 6 over the course of a 4-week period.

Miami will more than likely go 0-4 over to end the season on yet another losing streak.

You have to score to win games. They can’t do that.

Season is over.
I've been trying to figure out what's happened since those first 6 weeks to the last 4 since the end of the game Saturday. Most people will point to the teams we played but both A&M and Miami OH are in the top 40 for defenses, while GT, UNC, and UVA are all ranked 81 or worse. Somehow we are playing worse on offense against worse defenses. I can't make sense of it other than the fact that Van Dyke is cooked mentally and truly cannot figure out how to play against zone coverage. After the bye it just seems like there has been no creativity in the run game, way to many bunched sets/ route combinations, no plan for attacking the middle of the field, little motion being utilized and when it is it's just to bring a WR in as a blocker lol. Something HAS to be going on here. Either that or Mario owes some bad people a ton of money and is throwing the season. You don't just regress like this in season with no major injuries or personnel changes.

Advertisement
I said 7-5 before the year. Still need another win, and it won't be easy. We will be dogs in all our remaining games, and for good reason.

Mario broke TVD and broke our offense.

That's my opinion.

Instead of looking at what Lashlee did and building a team around that on offense, but improving the line play and the defense, Mario tried to force TVD into the wrong scheme. Twice now. It doesn't matter who the OC is. They have their directive from Mario. It's clear by now who he is and what he wants. He hired a Hal Mumme disciple! Hal Mumme! A founder of the air raid offense. And then he neutered him.

And he broke TVD beyond repair in the process. Any decent QB would be foolish to come here unless they prefer and execute perfectly well in Mario's slow and methodical offense.

TVD works better when he's slinging the ball around with 3 or 4 wide. Rolling out of the pocket and making plays in a fast moving offense no huddle offense. Go look at his stats in every high scoring game we've been in for 3 years now.

When he's forced into a grind it out, slow, physical, one score, possession type game, he is terrible.

Advertisement
Mario broke TVD and broke our offense.

That's my opinion.

Instead of looking at what Lashlee did and building a team around that on offense, but improving the line play and the defense, Mario tried to force TVD into the wrong scheme. Twice now. It doesn't matter who the OC is. They have their directive from Mario. It's clear by now who he is and what he wants. He hired a Hal Mumme disciple! Hal Mumme! A founder of the air raid offense. And then he neutered him.

And he broke TVD beyond repair in the process. Any decent QB would be foolish to come here unless they prefer and execute perfectly well in Mario's slow and methodical offense.

TVD works better when he's slinging the ball around with 3 or 4 wide. Rolling out of the pocket and making plays in a fast moving offense no huddle offense. Go look at his stats in every high scoring game we've been in for 3 years now.

When he's forced into a grind it out, slow, physical, one score, possession type game, he is terrible.

You have absolutely zero clue if any of that is true whatsoever, but go off.

Right. Mario succeeding at Miami is a win win for all of us. But I think many feel he needs to be a CEO/Recruiter and hire great coordinators he let’s cook… cooking on like a modern big green egg, not rubbing two sticks together …
Completely agree. Give Guidry whatever amount of $$$ he needs to stay here. 3-4 years here, and an elite defense gets him a good P5 job somewhere else. If Dawson works out, do the same. If not, go get someone from a Top 10 O, the offensive version of Guidry.

If someone would've told you in August that we would go 7-5 or 8-4 with wins over TAMU and Clemson, had a top ranked Defense, and a top ranked OL you wouldn't have called that progress?

I get we can be better and our record could be better but it is progress.
Method, my friend, method. Not trying to insult you. When you sit for a math exam, the professor demands you show how you arrived at the solution. Secondly, if results are all that mattered, I’d sit back and check the media on Monday to see the weekend’s results. Not waste my time watching the games. Execution matters, and that’s all we ask for, win or lose.

1.) something is up more than just TVD sucking.
2.) NC States QB is cheeks and their OC dialed up plays to get their playmaker the ball, just enough to beat our much better defense than theirs.
1.) Examples? We can all hearsay on what we think is going on behind the scenes. Instead of conjecture on what we don't know and might never know, we can believe what our eyes are seeing instead. Passes into double/triple coverage, passes underthrown, overthrown, thrown behind, thrown to the ground, thrown to the defense, fumbles, phantom sacks, lack of pocket presence, etc. We have some common denominators to consider. Gattis is not here in 2024, Dawson wasn't here in 2023. Lots of personnel turnover. Seems to me you get to pick between TVD and CMC, so who physically touches the ball every offensive down and has been given a dumbed-down playbook of which 1-of-5 plays are called? Pundits year-round can voice how sad they were to see TVD with his 3rd OC--like anyone give a ****. The only crime these coaches have committed (outside of the kneeling controversy) is keeping Mr. Bimmer in the game.

2.) Two points; our team does not have a defense issue. In fact, one of the tragedies of this season will be that we had a championship-caliber defense that lacks an offensive productive enough to take this entire team to the playoff. This might have been our best defense in a long time--probably even better had they not been asked to carry this team all season long. Second, Morris was the better QB on the field that night and from what I can tell Armstrong was runner-up. Obviously, they were good enough to defeat the Canes by double digits, but they were a threat in the air and on the ground. We had to go one-dimensional because there is no trust to go up in the air. Pour one for Mark Fletcher's legs.

Advertisement
Back