Josh Pate On Miami

Advertisement
9-3 is a unicorn.

8-4 is the realistic BEST CASE scenario.

I believe we finish the season 7-5 / 6-6.

Under either scenario, you have to question how close we were to finishing 5-7 (again) - or even worse at 4-8.

I said it before, and I will say it again, Mario is going to need a miracle to come out of this unscathed.
Yep and people laughed when I said 5-7/6-6 was a realistic option after UNC.

What if they then told you at the time that through 9 games A&M would be 5-4 (3-3 in conference) and Clemson would be 5-4 (2-4 in conference)? Suddenly those wins don't seem as impressive any more. Expectations are allowed to - and should - shift when more information is available.
A&M was a good win. I think we can acknowledge that without feeling like we’re pumping sunshine for Mario. The reality is, we were the only team to beat them with their starting QB. Weigman is way better than Johnson. They probably beat Bama with Weigman. Then you look at their other losses — single digit games against two top 15 teams in Tenn and Ole Miss. Saying A&M is bad because they 5-4 is disingenuous. It ignores all context.

That was a lazy *** take by Josh Pate. It sounded like a guy who needed to check the box that said, "Put out some Miami content."

He did not address anything related to the actual problems. He did not address the fact that all of our problems and bad losses have come against the bottom of our ACC schedule.

Advertisement
Some of you need to constantly remind yourself of two points:

1. Tyler Van Dyke is not the offensive coordinator or head coach.

2. They didn't neuter the offense into a shell because TVD was failing. They neutered the offense and then TVD started failing.

#2 is THE problem above all others. Stop trying to delude yourselves that just getting a magic QB in here to run the same crap offense is going to make everything OK. Drastic changes in offensive scheme/system were made before the GT game. THAT is the root of almost all our problems. This is not just some defense of TVD. I'm fine with Emory getting the start, but it's not going to matter if we're still running something designed to fail.

Idk where else to put this but I'll type it here. I'm sick and tired of hearing people saying we still have serious talent issues. Yes, we don't have the talent Georgia, OSU, Bama and Michigan have, we can all agree. Yes, we have some holes on the roster (QB primarily). Having said that, we have the second-best roster in the entire ACC. You can even argue we are better than FSU in a few positions. What do we need Caleb Williams, Trevon Henderson, Marvin Harrison, Nabers, and Brock Bowers all on the same team to beat NC State, Virginia, and GT? Almost every single starter on our team rn would start on those teams. Louisville, Duke, UNC have better talent than us? Bull. The reason we continue to lose those games is that our staff is unable to come up with an effective game plan and get these guys ready to play. It's almost impossible to win every single game on talent alone. You would need a once-in-a-generation type roster. Mario needs to accept the fact that what he's doing isn't working and bring in someone who can help him make the necessary steps to succeed. Time to grow up and make adjustments

That’s because Mario is as stubborn as a tree trunk. He’s going to make the players fit his system and not Taylor his system to get the best results out of players, if a team like Pitt had the weapons we have on offense they’d be undefeated, for some reason this is always a problem with every coach we hire. I wanted Lane Kiffin and Mario may end up being ok, but I bet Lane wouldn’t have went 5-7 with the weapons he’d have at his disposal here.
If Lane was here, we would be undefeated and ranked #5 or 6.
I will continue to say Lane train and it sucks that Wario has proven me right.

Advertisement
A&M was a good win. I think we can acknowledge that without feeling like we’re pumping sunshine for Mario. The reality is, we were the only team to beat them with their starting QB. Weigman is way better than Johnson. They probably beat Bama with Weigman. Then you look at their other losses — single digit games against two top 15 teams in Tenn and Ole Miss. Saying A&M is bad because they 5-4 is disingenuous. It ignores all context.
I am not saying A&M is bad, but was replying to a comment that specifically called them and Clemson out like wins over them are why we should be happy with the season. My point was that considering how those teams have looked now that the season is 3/4 over, neither of those wins are big enough to make up for how the rest of the season has gone.

And my problem with analysis like his and what you’re saying is that most of the people here are not freaking out that we’re not going to meet expectations. It’s the way that we’re(maybe) not meeting expectations.

It’s not calling a time out to win a game which is bad coaching, and something that he should have learned after 40 years in the game.

It’s telling everyone that they have to compete on the practice field for their job every week and apparently seeing that is true for every position, except for a quarterback when everyone sees what’s going on.

It’s a pretty educated guess that Mario is interfering in an offense that was looking pretty good initially, and now has gotten beyond lame potentially Even if it is compensating for Tyler. Something(s) happened at the bye. It’s like a light switch being flipped and we went dark.

On the surface level, he is right. But ignoring the path that we got to here, he is completely wrong.
agree and the point about the bye week is pretty chilling. How do you come off of that and implode?

When the **** did we start caring what Josh pate thinks?

Mario has always blown **** as a coach! Nothing new.

Mario 100% neutered the offense, no doubt in my mind. We don't even pull lineman anymore in the run game because the boys were just assaulting people with those power runs and Miami was getting good chunk runs with them. Mario would rather be in nailbiters until they end while "controlling" the game as opposed to being up 2-3 scores and actually be in "control" of the game. He is a bonehead and doesn't know what he is doing. Let Dawson and Guidry do their thing and get the **** out of the way!!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back