Josh Pate On Miami

Advertisement
Him and Mario must be close personal friends.

There’s no way that an objective person calls 8-4 massive progress with this schedule and these results at the end of the year.

If we win 2 outta the next 3 to actually get to 8-4 then I think we all feel a lot better than we do today. Are we throwing a parade? No. But I think the mood is 99% better than it is right now.

Remember, that’d include beating at least 1 of a 9-0 FSU team or a 1 loss Top 10 Louisville team.

Advertisement
Objective take in my opinion. Mistakes have been made from the HC to the coordinators on down to some of the players, but progress definitely has been made albeit it slower progress than most fans would like (myself included). I’m disappointed in decisions that were made and losses that were unnecessary, however not ready to throw the towel in on the entire staff and start over again.

Haven't listened yet. But wasn't 8-4 what the majority of this board hoped for before the season started? I remember 9-3 being talked about as a real success.

And before everyone jumps on this, I get that it depends on how you get there. But sometimes, you win games you shouldn't and lose games that you shouldn't.

There's so much to unpack about the stuff that's gone wrong we forget to appreciate all that has been good...

Is it progress? Technically yes. But we may not even get to 7-5.

But none of that matters. Mario was outdone by Mike Elko in his first year at Duke with fewer resources.

Mario has been outdone now by Jeff Brohm (also leading his Alma mater) who is 8-1 and probably playing in ACC championship in his first year.

It’s a joke these “lesser” programs can come in and see immediate success while Mario struggles to score a TD in a games two years in a row.

Advertisement
If we win 2 outta the next 3 to actually get to 8-4 then I think we all feel a lot better than we do today. Are we throwing a parade? No. But I think the mood is 99% better than it is right now.

Remember, that’d include beating at least 1 of a 9-0 FSU team or a 1 loss Top 10 Louisville team.

There’s something underlying we’re not seeing that has caused the season to just go straight into the tank offensively.

You don’t go from 38ppg to 6 over the course of a 4-week period.

Miami will more than likely go 0-4 over to end the season on yet another losing streak.

You have to score to win games. They can’t do that.

Season is over.

There’s no way that an objective person calls 8-4 massive progress with this schedule and these results at the end of the year.
For me where we at it is. It wouldn’t be under previous coaches cause the bs players they brought in. I said bring me someone that brings monsters and I’ll be patient. But that’s not everyone some fan want 10 wins quick and set themselves up. I wasn’t expecting greatness quickly. We were down bad worse than the giants.

Yeah... the issue with looking strictly at pre-season expectations is it does not take into account new realities (ex: Clemson is not nearly as good as people expected). Also, just looking at a team's record does not take into account how the team has looked; if the team was 6-3 right now, but the offense looked even average since we got into ACC play then I think a lot less people would be so upset.

Advertisement

This is my problem with the fan base right now

And my problem with analysis like his and what you’re saying is that most of the people here are not freaking out that we’re not going to meet expectations. It’s the way that we’re(maybe) not meeting expectations.

It’s not calling a time out to win a game which is bad coaching, and something that he should have learned after 40 years in the game.

It’s telling everyone that they have to compete on the practice field for their job every week and apparently seeing that is true for every position, except for a quarterback when everyone sees what’s going on.

It’s a pretty educated guess that Mario is interfering in an offense that was looking pretty good initially, and now has gotten beyond lame potentially Even if it is compensating for Tyler. Something(s) happened at the bye. It’s like a light switch being flipped and we went dark.

On the surface level, he is right. But ignoring the path that we got to here, he is completely wrong.

Last edited:
He leaves a lot out. Reality is 5-7 last year with a home loss to MTSU was awful so clearing that bar by 1-2 games isn’t much.

Secondly, most of the initial coaching staff was fired amid dysfunction after year 1.

Third, Mario’s issues with offense and QB play remain very clear. We just scored 6 points in his 21st game.

Fourth, yea, the GT management was a total mess and nationally embarrassed the program.

I like Pate, but that was a poor segment.

Advertisement
There’s something underlying we’re not seeing that has caused the season to just go straight into the tank offensively.

You don’t go from 38ppg to 6 over the course of a 4-week period.

Miami will more than likely go 0-4 over to end the season on yet another losing streak.

You have to score to win games. They can’t do that.

Season is over.
With bad QB play you can...

Is it progress? Technically yes. But we may not even get to 7-5.

But none of that matters. Mario was outdone by Mike Elko in his first year at Duke with fewer resources.

Mario has been outdone now by Jeff Brohm (also leading his Alma mater) who is 8-1 and probably playing in ACC championship in his first year.

It’s a joke these “lesser” programs can come in and see immediate success while Mario struggles to score a TD in a games two years in a row.
That’s because Mario is as stubborn as a tree trunk. He’s going to make the players fit his system and not Taylor his system to get the best results out of players, if a team like Pitt had the weapons we have on offense they’d be undefeated, for some reason this is always a problem with every coach we hire. I wanted Lane Kiffin and Mario may end up being ok, but I bet Lane wouldn’t have went 5-7 with the weapons he’d have at his disposal here.

Objective take in my opinion. Mistakes have been made from the HC to the coordinators on down to some of the players, but progress definitely has been made albeit it slower progress than most fans would like (myself included). I’m disappointed in decisions that were made and losses that were unnecessary, however not ready to throw the towel in on the entire staff and start over again.
Agreed on all of that. But I’m looking at it from the perspective of is he the guy to get us #6. The answer is no unless he miraculously changes his game day approach. If we hired him to stabilize the program and get us to a consistent 8-4/9-3 level then that’s a different story, but at $80 million I think we need more from that.

For me where we at it is. It wouldn’t be under previous coaches cause the bs players they brought in. I said bring me someone that brings monsters and I’ll be patient. But that’s not everyone some fan want 10 wins quick and set themselves up. I wasn’t expecting greatness quickly. We were down bad worse than the giants.
Some people won’t even give the man 3 seasons minimum before they sabotage the process.

IMO, coaching and playing at Miami is completely different than Louisville, Duke, etc. It takes a special coach and special kids. I also think, it’s more kids that need to be weeded out the program. Kids in USC (LA) and Miami have a lot more bs to navigate to focus on football.

It’s the same reason why Lincoln Riley will struggle to get USC to where their fans “expect them to be” quickly and that’s with a Heisman QB.

Everybody got a right to be upset at decisions that’s been made, I just don’t think 1.5 years through the process it’s time to hit the reset button.

Keep tweaking… lol

Advertisement
Back