Josh Pate On Miami

Advertisement
The record is irrelevant at this point. It's not even TVD. He is what he is.

The problems are:

-Mario, who has a very undisciplined team, especially on offense. In addition to being the worst game manager I have ever seen. And he doesn't seem willing to learn from these mistakes.
-Dawson, who has absolutely, inexplicably gone from a creative offense to one that is absolute predictable garbage. It's one of the craziest things I've seen in sports.

So what if we finish 8-4 with grind it out OT wins. Those two things have to be fixed for anyone to have any confidence moving forward. You can replace TVD. The coaching issues are really, really, really problematic because I don't think there's any way they get fixed.

I'm not happy with how Mario has handled certain things this year, and I think it's TBD if he works out here, but Pate is more right than wrong in this segment. Why? A few reasons:
  • There's still a decent amount of people on this board who do not comprehend the smoldering ruin that Mario walked into in December of 2021. Not only are we a program that had been mediocre for nearly 20 years, but Manny left him a roster full of divas and locker-room cancers. Mario misread how bad the situation was, hence our hype going into 2022. He also made two bad coordinator hires. That's all on him, no doubt. It's also why we had such high player turnover going into this year.

• It's evident a lot of people on here have never led or been part of an organizational turnaround. It is hard ******* work. You're dealing with real people who have lives, aspirations, families, etc, and you gotta make life-altering choices to get the ship going in the right direction. It's not an easy or painless process, especially when the organization in question has had two decades of mediocrity and mostly bad leadership. Old habits die hard.

• For me, Year 3 has always been the big one for Mario. Why? Because that's typically when a right or wrong turn finally happens. Look at the record of coaches who have turned it around in Year 3.
    • Mike Norvell: 8-13 his first two years at FSU, with a loss to FCS Jacksonville State (yes, far worse than our loss to MTSU). FSU fans wanted him out, especially when they were 4-3 in Year 3. They found their rhythm though and are on a 15 game winning streak and #4 in the country.

• Steve Sarkisian: 13-12 his first two years at Texas. Another coach that UT fans wanted to fire. Now? 8-1 with a chance to win the Big 12 and go to the CFP.

• James Franklin: 14-12 his first two seasons at Penn State. Followed up that 14-12 record with a 22-5 run.

• Not saying Mario's gonna work out, but there's a lot of history that shows the job he inherited, and plenty of other coaches finding success once they had two years at the helm.

The record is irrelevant at this point. It's not even TVD. He is what he is.

The problems are:

-Mario, who has a very undisciplined team, especially on offense. In addition to being the worst game manager I have ever seen. And he doesn't seem willing to learn from these mistakes.
-Dawson, who has absolutely, inexplicably gone from a creative offense to one that is absolute predictable garbage. It's one of the craziest things I've seen in sports.

So what if we finish 8-4 with grind it out OT wins. Those two things have to be fixed for anyone to have any confidence moving forward. You can replace TVD. The coaching issues are really, really, really problematic because I don't think there's any way they get fixed.
You finish 8-4, which means we got a win against either #4 FSU or a top 10 UL team. And a chance at 9 wins and the best season we've had since 2017. I'd absolutely call that a success. Coaching issues are apparent, but better talent does help remedy that.

Advertisement
I said 8-4 before the season started, with a realistic shot at 9-3.

The issue is, we know all too well how this ends.

Blasted by FSU, quit on the season, Louisville romps us in front of a 30k crowd (at best), limp into BC in the freezing cold just wanting the season to end.

Go ahead and prove us wrong Mario. I’d love to finish 8-4 at this point. But this has the makings of 37-13 FSU, 34-17 Louisville, 24-10 BC.
6-6/7-5 on paper looks like improvement. The problem is Mr. Cristomagnon Neanderbal buried the ******* bar 6ft under last year. So, just about everything is "improvement."

However, we are still seeing him actively lowering the bar from the beginning of the season until now. Every game after the bye week it looks like he said:

"OK Dawson, I'm taking control of the offense again. We can't be scoring that much. We have to be Tuff! We have to be fisical! That includes not taking a knee to win football games. Only people that aren't tuff & pfysical do that."

TVD's abomination of a performance over the last 4 games, throwing INTs to every defender that wants one is the most baffling thing I have ever seen. 5 TDs to 10 INTs...

The offense looks like something that would even make Iowa blush. Playcalling is more predictable than knowing the sun rises again tomorrow and I don't think there is a way to bunch formations even tighter outside of goal line formation which I fully expect to see going forward.

I don't even want to think about the final score of the Fspoo game at the moment.

This is correct they were trash. I have no debate against this I just view it as we will be fine in the long run. I don’t think he could land Trader or Bain at Oregon though.
Mario is a very good recruiter who did land Flowe, Sewell and Thibodeaux. It’s just his skill position recruiting which can be attributed to his offensive philosophy is lacking.

There are alot of NFL players on this roster and many are very young, so expectations of patience by fans are expected. However Mario does himself no favors as this is a guy who when he took the job said "this is not a rebuild" and "we have one of the best QBs in the nation" then went out and under achieved and lost to MTSU at home.... As we all saw with GT game, at his best he will probably still lose a couple games a year...

Mario has a ceiling and it is not what most Miami fans are looking for wrt Natl championships, I hope he is the Ron Zook for whoever comes after him and loads the roster for a coach who can maximize the talent...

Would love to be proven wrong...

It is how you get to the record.
This team is a lot better than the team we thought we've had when made the predictions.

Now the coaching and QB play have pulled the whole thing down

This is an 8-0 team with the proper utilization of available weapons and better coaching/decision making

We all would like to know one day the real reason of the offensive and passing game regression.

I refuse to believe that Dawson is not smart enough to get O ready for zone defense and 8 man drop
Listen to the Houston guy speak about Dawson. The video is in the Dawson thread. About 10 min = worth a listen

Advertisement
I'm not happy with how Mario has handled certain things this year, and I think it's TBD if he works out here, but Pate is more right than wrong in this segment. Why? A few reasons:
  • There's still a decent amount of people on this board who do not comprehend the smoldering ruin that Mario walked into in December of 2021. Not only are we a program that had been mediocre for nearly 20 years, but Manny left him a roster full of divas and locker-room cancers. Mario misread how bad the situation was, hence our hype going into 2022. He also made two bad coordinator hires. That's all on him, no doubt. It's also why we had such high player turnover going into this year.
  • It's evident a lot of people on here have never led or been part of an organizational turnaround. It is hard ******* work. You're dealing with real people who have lives, aspirations, families, etc, and you gotta make life-altering choices to get the ship going in the right direction. It's not an easy or painless process, especially when the organization in question has had two decades of mediocrity and mostly bad leadership. Old habits die hard.
joe-pesci-what-the-****.gif

Nothing excuses loses to GT, NC State, and a UVA almost loss. UVA is really bad. Plus I honestly believe we won't win again this year. It is more reasonable to argue we will be 6-6 than to argue we will be 8-4. Absolutely no reason to believe we can even beat BC at BC.

Dawson, who has absolutely, inexplicably gone from a creative offense to one that is absolute predictable garbage. It's one of the craziest things I've seen in sports.

It's explicable. Dawson could sculp the Michaelangelos' Pieta for us but he's being asked to do it using a slab of granite and a rubber mallet. He is calling the same 4-5 plays for our mentally-fragile (fra-jill-ee) QB. You are only as good as the materials you have to work with. You underestimate the importance of a great quarterback. A QB has the power the overcome the ineptitude of a coach, rarely does it work in reverse. You put any one of the top QBs in the ACC on our squad, lights out. QB won't give CMC a chance to not kneel.

Advertisement
It's explicable. Dawson could sculp the Michaelangelos' Pieta for us but he's being asked to do it using a slab of granite and a rubber mallet. He is calling the same 4-5 plays for our mentally-fragile (fra-jill-ee) QB. You are only as good as the materials you have to work with. You underestimate the importance of a great quarterback. A QB has the power the overcome the ineptitude of a coach, rarely does it work in reverse. You put any one of the top QBs in the ACC on our squad, lights out. QB won't give CMC a chance to not kneel.

Nah man. I’m not one to jump on the “Mario’s meddling with the offense” bandwagon but something is up more than just TVD sucking. NC States QB is cheeks and their OC dialed up plays to get their playmaker the ball, just enough to beat our much better defense than theirs. I’m not going to pretend I know that Mario is meddling in the offense but it’s either that or Dawson is worse than Gattis and I don’t believe he is. Run run pass punt. Every drive. It’s wild and worse than that every play is predictable.

Advertisement
If Dawson is a problem. Mario hired Dawson after a failed OC. - problem: Mario

If TVD is a problem. Mario plays TVD, hitched his wagon to TVD, did not recruit over TVD. - problem: Mario

If Mario is the problem: Mario is the problem.

No matter what math you try to spin, it adds up to our team being a disaster on offense being Mario’s fault…

If Dawson is a problem. Mario hired Dawson after a failed OC. - problem: Mario

If TVD is a problem. Mario plays TVD, hitched his wagon to TVD, did not recruit over TVD. - problem: Mario

If Mario is the problem: Mario is the problem.

No matter what math you try to spin, it adds up to our team being a disaster on offense being Mario’s fault…

Love the third line.

You finish 8-4, which means we got a win against either #4 FSU or a top 10 UL team. And a chance at 9 wins and the best season we've had since 2017. I'd absolutely call that a success. Coaching issues are apparent, but better talent does help remedy that.

If we finish 8-4 with a win over FSU that is solid. But it also mandates that Zo or Rad sit Mario down, look him straight in the eye and say, you stole this season from these players with your coaching. Which they should do anyway no matter the record.

Advertisement
Back