Joe Yearby

Advertisement
What is so special about Walton as a runner? I don't see it.... He is an excellent pass catcher though
Not special, but he's a good back. Still very young but has a great frame to add more weight and strength without sacrificing like Yearby had to.

I think Yearby would be better if he cut some weight where Walton could be a power back.

Kid has a nice future in front of him IMO, that's all.

Joe Yearby, played under a crappy system, with a crappy o-line, and crappy rotational method used by a biased position coach; yet he puts 1g on the board.

As Canes fans, some of us really don't appreciate what we have; we're constantly comparing our players to the ones that got away. Is he better than Cook? Well, I know for one thing, one is coming off a horrific leg injury playing for a laugh factory of a coaching staff with a bunch of Coal Shovelers blocking for him, and the other has been healthy playing under a legit coaching staff w 5/4* talent dripping all around him.

Yearby has been hella solid for us this year, DESPITE the circumstances around him. I do give the nod to Cook in many aspects w that burst, but Yearby broke so many tackles, created so much space b/c of his elite quickness and wiggle, and catches the ball like a WR. He would get hot, then, boom, Lice would put in Walton for extended plays and all of sudden it's "where's Yearby?" We look at his final stat line, and then it's "anyone who said Yearby is better than Cook is an idiot." But do we really look at his stat line? Kid would have 67yrds on 10 carries, just to finish with 81 yrds on 14 carries? How? B/c of the f'n coaching staff.

Ultra long delayed handoffs on 3rd and forever. Dive up the middle on 2nd and 10's. Extended handoff on 1st and 25. I mean u can't make this type of play calling up; yet he still put up a G on limited carries. Honestly, based upon what he had working against him and the lack of resources protecting him or opening up lanes, this is probably one of the most impressive 1g I've seen a RB put up; that's not being a homer, that's being s fan of the game.

Cook has been healthy?

Cook is easily a better talent and a better RB.

bad line, bad play calling, and i feel his weight slowed him. he looked quick as a fresh coming off injury. i think he will improve even more under the new staff.

Joe did well this year..set a record previously held by Duke for most Tap outs after a 10 yard gain

he never carried the ball more than 22 times in his career avg 15....

when Duke had 20+ carries he was a beast...

Richt uses his backs 20+ a game we have all see Chub, Sony and Gurey take over games when going over 2o carries...I hope we start to get Larger backs like Edge or Willis that can handle 30 carries if needed..

Once Mark gets us balanced again...we will win big games

Advertisement
Joe did well this year..set a record previously held by Duke for most Tap outs after a 10 yard gain

Richt uses his backs 20+ a game we have all see Chub, Sony and Gurey take over games when going over 2o carries...I hope we start to get Larger backs like Edge or Willis that can handle 30 carries if needed..

What are you talking about? Tim ice Harris took him out of the games to give Mark Walton the ball, that's why he didn't have all the carries he deserved...

with health of gus, improvement of the OL play
next year I suspect less carries, but much higher per carry
I'd love to see both Yearby and Walton getting split out more often also
they were very solid in the passing game and a big mismatch

hate to be the first one tell you this gus is a soft who avoids contact. If that hasn't changed I see him getting sent packing.

Last edited:
No Yearby is not an elite back but he's pretty darn good. To put up a 1000 yard season with the dismal line he had is an achievement.

Top end speed is his biggest weakness. Is he as good as his former high school running mate? No, but you shouldn't take away what he's accomplished this year. I bet he gets better next year in a competent offensive scheme.

What are you talking about? Tim ice Harris took him out of the games to give Mark Walton the ball, that's why he didn't have all the carries he deserved...
Good grief. Is that what happened?

Advertisement

Did you not watch the games? How many carries did Yearby have inside the 20 yard line or when he was running good?

He's transformed into a grinder. Would love to see him lose some weight and regain some quicks.

On a side note, seeing him slap that fat slob OL after he gave up a killshot on Kaaya warmed my heart.

I feel the same. He was never a burner, but before the massive weight gain, he had incredible quicks in the hole and open space. Now he's more of a plodder.....i think he needs to drop a few and get back to what made him special in high school and in spurts his freshman year. If he's going to split time anyways, he doesn't need the weight to hold up to the pounding.

I like Yearby, but he stacked his numbers against bad teams. Was pretty awful against most teams with a good defense. Clearly that has something to do with a poor OL, but let's not forget we played a soft schedule this year.

Advertisement
I've been following Joe since before his UM days and the young man has serious God given talent. I think we need to trim him down a little to regain his quickness and ability to make people miss. Here's a video of him at a Fsu camp in high school. The cut at the end shows you what he can do with a more appropriate body type.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=11VIIIU5QDc

Remember showing all of my friends this video. Yearby's feet are special and his ability to make people miss are elite. A total mismatch against LBs in the pass game. Excited to see watch the effect coach Brown will have with not only Yearby but all of the RBs.

Lets also go ahead and look at the guys on those lists. They all lost carries to other guys as well. Never just one guy, but there was always a couple of other guys with over 60 carries a piece taking from the total for that said back. Its called getting a rest. Joe is not a big back. He is not a 30 carry a game guy, there really are not that many anymore. And guys don't want that much abuse if they are trying to make a career out of it. Look at the guys that had huge carries in college, most had shortened careers. And yes I understand there are some HOFers that are the exception not the rule. There is a reason the average career for a RB is like 4 yrs. Guys get broken! Jackson lost carries to Portis and Davenport, Portis to Mcgahee and Gore, Mcgahee to Geathers and Payton. Its normal for another guy or two to snag 80-110 carries during a season.

Congrats to Joe. I hope he loses 7-10 pounds and gains his speed back. His cuts are ridiculous. But he doesn't run away from anyone. I think he could be a very good college back.

Not sure how I feel about Walton, he flashed at times, but he also looked bad at times too. Probably more of an indication of our poor OL.

Did you not watch the games? How many carries did Yearby have inside the 20 yard line or when he was running good?
I was really really hoping someone with the extensive football knowledge you have to come in here and set me straight on what I watched last year.

I thank you kind sir. You really do know your stuff.

Advertisement
38.4% came against FAU, NU and Cincy. after that, it was unremarkable, but i dont blame him entirely. bad play calling and ****** OL makes for a bad run game.

2015 GAME LOG RUSHING RECEIVING
DATE OPP RESULT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD
9/5 Bethune-Cookman W 45-0 6 40 6.7 25 1 2 8 4.0 7 0
9/11 [MENTION=9112]FLorida[/MENTION] Atlantic W 44-20 18 146 8.1 41 1 3 97 32.3 52 1
9/19 Nebraska W 36-33 (OT) 17 125 7.4 41 1 1 5 5.0 5 0
10/1 @Cincinnati L 34-23 17 113 6.6 19 1 2 1 0.5 1 0
10/10 [MENTION=9112]FLorida[/MENTION] State L 29-24 15 33 2.2 6 0 3 15 5.0 11 1
10/17 Virginia Tech W 30-20 19 60 3.2 22 1 3 51 17.0 25 0
10/24 Clemson L 58-0 13 42 3.2 22 0 1 4 4.0 4 0
10/31 @Duke W 30-27 21 82 3.9 11 0 2 13 6.5 8 0
11/7 Virginia W 27-21 17 78 4.6 20 0 1 0 0.0 0 0
11/14 @North Carolina L 59-21 13 74 5.7 16 0 4 79 19.8 30 0
11/21 Georgia Tech W 38-21 13 47 3.6 11 1 0 0 0.0 0 0
11/27 @Pittsburgh W 29-24 22 99 4.5 35 0 1 0 0.0 0 0
HYUNDAI SUN BOWL
12/26 @Washington State L 20-14 14 63 4.5 13 0 0 0 0.0 0 0