Jhavonte Dean update

If he shows up and tackles, there's no way this dude doesn't start.
Think the best 4-5 start, which is why I think Redwine starts at Safety this year, and Bandy starts at Nickel.

CB: Dean > Ryan Mayes
S: Redwine > Romeo Finley
Nickel: Bandy > Deejay Dallas
S: Jaquan > Amari Carter
CB: Malek Young > Michael Jackson

Also really wouldn't be surprised to see Jaquan play some nickel this year if Redwine is moved to safety or Finley/Carter really step up. I just think the positions may be a little interchangeable and the best 5 will see the field a lot.

Neither Redwine or Jaquan are SS so they won't be the S duo IMO.

SS will be between Knowles, Finley, Wright, Carter, Smith
FS will be JJ, Redwine (if moved), James

Not a fan of either groupings over talent/depth. I think DJ would be a great FS prospect which might be the plan. Brian Edwards would be a big get as well.

Advertisement
How good is this kid? JUCO ranks seem inaccurate at times. But if he's a take at Bama he must be able to play a little bit. Anyone have any insight?

I watched his tape, it's very good. Napier has been trying to reel this guy in for Bama, trust me when I say this is a big get.
If Saban is recruiting a DB, that's all I need to know

If Saban is recruiting a JUCO DB that's really all you should know that he's a stud

Think the best 4-5 start, which is why I think Redwine starts at Safety this year, and Bandy starts at Nickel.

Also really wouldn't be surprised to see Jaquan play some nickel this year if Redwine is moved to safety or Finley/Carter really step up. I just think the positions may be a little interchangeable and the best 5 will see the field a lot.

Not a fan of either groupings over talent/depth. I think DJ would be a great FS prospect which might be the plan. Brian Edwards would be a big get as well.
We need a talent infusion at Corner. I know everyone keeps talking up Deejay Dallas as a Safety, and I'm intrigued, but he has Corner feet and more than sufficient speed. Would like to see him get a look there as well.

We need a talent infusion at Corner. I know everyone keeps talking up Deejay Dallas as a Safety, and I'm intrigued, but he has Corner feet and more than sufficient speed. Would like to see him get a look there as well.

I think Jaquan Johnson is a SS all the way... Doesn't have the open field ball hawk ability that you look for in FS, but is a down field playmaker that can hit. I would have Romeo Finley behind him.

Redwine has the coverage skills and physicality to be a good FS IMO. I would see what James and Amari Carter look like at the FS position as well.

And I agree that we do need talent at Corner... That's why Deejay Dallas needs to be a corner for us IMO at least at first.

Brian Edwards at corner and FS

The fact they moved Colbert to cornerback with great success tells me they will make the right decision.

Advertisement
How good is this kid? JUCO ranks seem inaccurate at times. But if he's a take at Bama he must be able to play a little bit. Anyone have any insight?

I watched his tape, it's very good. Napier has been trying to reel this guy in for Bama, trust me when I say this is a big get.
If Saban is recruiting a DB, that's all I need to know

If Saban is recruiting a JUCO DB that's really all you should know that he's a stud
Good point

I think Jaquan Johnson is a SS all the way... Doesn't have the open field ball hawk ability that you look for in FS, but is a down field playmaker that can hit. I would have Romeo Finley behind him.

Redwine has the coverage skills and physicality to be a good FS IMO. I would see what James and Amari Carter look like at the FS position as well.

And I agree that we do need talent at Corner... That's why Deejay Dallas needs to be a corner for us IMO at least at first.

Yeah I think Jaquan can play either position really. He played a lot of that nickel hybrid role this year, so he was already playing close to the line, so I'm not sure why some don't think he can be a SS. I think the real question as to what position JJ will play is who is better - Redwine at FS, or Finley/Carter at SS? The answer to this question will decide where JJ primarily plays.
And I agree about Deejay, thats why I have him as the Nickel competing with Bandy. I think Edwards would be very nice to have so he can have the depth at FS or even nickel if Deejay needs to play more wr.

If he can bring us anything close to what Adrian Colbert brought us this year...It'll be a HUGE get.

I'm sure the legend of Colbert will grow to mythical proportions as time progresses around here but you're still 1000% right. A juco or grad transfer in that mold will always be a fantastic addition. Hopefully down the line it'll be mainly for depth but Colbert seemed to be a great character guy too.

Sounds good. Let's finish with him and Edwards....

Haven't read about what's going on with Gibson yet - hopefully he stays on board....

View attachment 41335

Junior college cornerback Jhavonte Dean is slated to visit Miami next weekend.

I just spoke with a family member of Dean's and asked if he thought a flip to Miami from Alabama was coming, and he responded, "he will, probably after his visit."

Miami is looking to add Dean to their defensive backs class, as Manny Diaz, Mike Rumph, and Ephraim Banda all having gone to see him before the dead period. He is currently in Miami and has been working out with 2018 Canes commit D.J. Ivey this week.

Advertisement
There's nothing mythical about it; Colbert played very well this year - much better than what most were probably expecting.

If he can bring us anything close to what Adrian Colbert brought us this year...It'll be a HUGE get.

I'm sure the legend of Colbert will grow to mythical proportions as time progresses around here but you're still 1000% right. A juco or grad transfer in that mold will always be a fantastic addition. Hopefully down the line it'll be mainly for depth but Colbert seemed to be a great character guy too.

Sounds good. Let's finish with him and Edwards....

Haven't read about what's going on with Gibson yet - hopefully he stays on board....

View attachment 41335

I just spoke with a family member of Dean's and asked if he thought a flip to Miami from Alabama was coming, and he responded, "he will, probably after his visit."

Miami is looking to add Dean to their defensive backs class, as Manny Diaz, Mike Rumph, and Ephraim Banda all having gone to see him before the dead period. He is currently in Miami and has been working out with 2018 Canes commit D.J. Ivey this week.

Gibsons gone. We dropped him after giving him the ultimatum to stop looking around. He kept looking at Oregon, so we told him we were moving in a different direction. So he'll be going to Oregon.

JJ has def shown flashes of ball hawking ability. Fluid hips, super fast, great instincts... why wouldn't this guy play FS?

He showed glimpses of it in the spring game (ya ya, it's just the spring game).

JJ has def shown flashes of ball hawking ability. Fluid hips, super fast, great instincts... why wouldn't this guy play FS?

He showed glimpses of it in the spring game (ya ya, it's just the spring game).

Its just about getting the best 5 dbs on the field. Honestly think JJ will see PT at FS, SS, and Nickel this year. Between JJ, Young, Dean, Redwine, Bandy, etc Its about getting the best players on the field. Luckily JJ can play all the S positions and got a lot of work at nickel this year. Redwine also looks like he could be pretty good at fs.

Advertisement
giphy.gif

You just watch this last night? Cuz I did lol

I feel the need the need for speed!!!

Advertisement
JJ will be at FS and y'all are going to love him there.

Sometimes it's not about being 4.3. Knowing where you're going is WAY more important and his instincts are excellent. No problem with him back there in space. Doesn't make crippling mistakes either. Not to mention, it's easier to put a freshman closer to the LOS than further.

Always remember, mistakes at free safety are often touchdowns.

If we get dean and some how get Edwards . Even if we don't get Edwards we should have a lot more talent on the field next year regardless. Bandy , Dean , Dj , Smith and Carter is a lot more talent . I'm interested in see James and wright too .

View attachment 41335

Advertisement
Back