Jarren out of QB race?

This is what I keep telling y’all. Sure, Kosi was bad at times last year. But he also made throws that NO ONE else on this roster can make. Think 3rd and 10 to Jeff against FSU. Frozen rope where only his guy could make a play, manipulating the safeties with his eyes. Next snap, sees the coverage pre-snap, knows his guy Brevin is matched up against Derrick Brooks handicapped kid, moves the deep third safety with his eyes, gorgeous ball, Canes take the lead. I have no dog in this, and for my $0.02 I think Tate should start for a lot of reasons. But you can’t take ANYTHING from last year with Kosi other than he has an NFL arm. Other than that, he was flying blind out there. Coordinator was long figured out, DCs had nothing to prepare for because nothing changed, and his position coach was MAYBE qualified to be the QB coach at Gulliver Prep. Maybe. And that’s not hyperbole. Let’s see how all these kids do with a man who has done nothing but coach QBs at the highest of levels in CFB for 30 years.
Gulliver wouldnt hire that dude. All the same nkosi mentally has a long way to go and the only qb who can make any throw is jarren. You gotta remember most qb coaches work on a kids physical traits. No matter how much coaching a kid gets for his mental & recognition skills it's really on that kid to turn that corner. If you really watched nkosi that should be what worries you. Honestly it's where hes REALLY lacking especially in comparison to tate & jarren.

Advertisement
One thing I've been paying attention to is the Lifters of the Week by Feeley. Saw somewhere Tate has won like 4 of 6 times or something like that. That's his leadership/effort showing. Diaz keeps saying the QB who wins is the guy who "has" to be the guy, not wants to. I know he struggled in spring because Enos made him adjust some of his footwork/rhythm that he wasn't accustomed too but I'm confident he made those adjustments. Also he's at a huge advantage due to he's been coached under Urban and Day the past two years while being with Haskins/Barrett. Opposed to Kosi and Jarren having little to nothing.

The way I look at it.. if no one pulls themselves ahead of the others, they give it to Tate. I see Tate or Jarren taking it. Jarren is too accurate of a passer to not be in for the kill.

Advertisement
Gulliver wouldnt hire that dude. All the same nkosi mentally has a long way to go and the only qb who can make any throw is jarren. You gotta remember most qb coaches work on a kids physical traits. No matter how much coaching a kid gets for his mental & recognition skills it's really on that kid to turn that corner. If you really watched nkosi that should be what worries you. Honestly it's where hes REALLY lacking especially in comparison to tate & jarren.

Definitely my biggest concern with Kosi. I did not see that feel for the game at all last year, but still, I can’t shake these thoughts of how poor the coaching and scheme were. I do agree with you that the mental/feel side of it usually is more of a “got it or don’t got it” type of thing, but there are aspects of that that can be taught. You can teach a kid as much as you can handcuff him, and IMO last year these QBs were severely handcuffed.

Sounds to me though like your opinion is that we’ve still got 3 quarterbacks each with their own significant individual warts, and that’s obviously scary. I’m wondering if, when it comes down to it, that the kid with the strongest mental side of the game is chosen and the staff will live with his physical limitations. But hopefully someone shows on Friday that their particular issues from the spring have been improved or corrected.

Absolutely. Anyone who doesnt recognize tate was brought here to start is fooling themselves. He was just so ad in spring that he opened everything back up. Mean time hes definitely come around but nkosi & jarren both closed that gap in spring. All three of them have improved in spades under enos. Should be an interesting camp.
...and that's what I like to hear, that all three have improved. People jumping on one fanboy bandwagon or another here are acting like the other two QBs were just some scrubs we picked up. All three were high-level, national recruits for a reason. Two of them had the misfortune of being "mentored" by some random dude who has no more qualification than most people on this website (John Richt). So all three showing improvement under Enos means coaches aren't picking the lesser of three scrub QBs, they are choosing between three QBs with high potential.

Advertisement
One thing I've been paying attention to is the Lifters of the Week by Feeley. Saw somewhere Tate has won like 4 of 6 times or something like that. That's his leadership/effort showing. Diaz keeps saying the QB who wins is the guy who "has" to be the guy, not wants to. I know he struggled in spring because Enos made him adjust some of his footwork/rhythm that he wasn't accustomed too but I'm confident he made those adjustments. Also he's at a huge advantage due to he's been coached under Urban and Day the past two years while being with Haskins/Barrett. Opposed to Kosi and Jarren having little to nothing.

The way I look at it.. if no one pulls themselves ahead of the others, they give it to Tate. I see Tate or Jarren taking it. Jarren is too accurate of a passer to not be in for the kill.
While the "lifter of the week" is nice, it means little in and of itself. Guarantee Dorsey never would have won "lifter of the week."

I don't know how you make a comparison to Jarren and Tate when neither of those two have played any significant snaps to critique. We only have a small sample size from the Spring.

I would think reading defenses is about learning and preparation. I'm sure N'kosi is/was behind in that category because both Jarren and Tate learned those skills in high school. However, it doesn't mean that N'kosi can't develop those skills. We'll see how it plays out in Fall camp.

We'll know who the starter is going to be in less than 3 weeks.

Advertisement
Not talking about the coaches, nor assistant coaches, or anyone directly employed by the University of Miami, but there would be freakout if many of the ex-players and others close to the program revealed who they perceive had the edge going into summer/fall practice.

Some fanboys would be scrambling

Personally, I have a strong opinion it will be settled by week 2/3 and it’s anybody’s job.

Advertisement
LOL at fans thinking this is really an open competition to start on 8/24. This is Martell job to lose,

No sources, just look around the country. everybody knows Hurts will start at OU and Fields at OSU, why Miami would be different?

FYI, according to Manny's interview on Rivals, he is deciding the QB position after 2 scrimmages.

Advertisement
Back