Jake Garcia HL reel from Georgia

I hate judging stuff off of social media.. but this kid is always on there talking about Miami. Shouting out Miami fans. You can just tell with his ability and personality he wants to come be a leader. He is like one of the transfers we have seen the last couple years.. they seem to love Miami more than some of the home grown players.

Advertisement
I see Brad Kaaya, which you can win with...... with a great OL and dependable running game. This could go either way depending on things out of Garcia’s control.

I like how he carries himself. Hope he has a great career here.

Yeah Kaaya is what I saw too, but hopefully He isn't a mannequin like Kaaya was in the pocket.

Not remotely worried about his traits anymore after seeing Mac Jones and Kyle Trask this year. Dorsey is also a fair comparison - man he would've been a monster in a modern college spread.

His feet look slightly quicker but what stands out in that tape is the quick processing and delivery. Put him in a tempo offense with strong surrounding talent and he can be lethally effective. Just don't make him have to escape pressure and throw into tight windows where the lack of strong physical traits can be an issue.

I'm confident that Miami will have competent QB play in 2022 assuming the offensive context is strong.
He's got something I've been craving for at the U in some time.

SWAGGER!!! Kid is confident and it's contagious. You want kids like him around.

Advertisement
Dorsey never had this type of arm talent. I love Ken as much as anybody but he had multiple 1st round picks at every skill position and one helluva oline. Dorsey would've gotten killed on these recent Miami teams. The homers might disagree but all you have to do is look where he was drafted for proof. That being despite all his accolades.
You're right that we will have to play to Garcia's strength's and not depend on RPO/zone read type plays like you do with a King. It should be a little more air raid mixed in with pro shotgun both at fast tempo.
Yeah I consider arm talent as more than just velocity and distance. Garcia executes a wider array of throws than Dorsey and he moves better than Kaaya. I'm just saying Dorsey was a ball distributor who was elevated by the players around him. That's an archetype that Garcia can follow.

With Garcia at QB Miami would see very different coverage schemes - a lot more Quarters and Cover 3 - which would enable a more diversified pass game. King is the QB Miami needs right now but I can't wait to see the WR underclassmen unleashed in an Air Raid like Lashlee ran at SMU.

Advertisement
The only thing I saw that he could do better was ball placement down the field. There were some throws that would be picked at the next level. Well, unless he's throwing against our CBs from the last couple years. That being said, that's an easy fix. He has the tools, without a doubt. Enough mobility to elude pressure. Good enough arm to get the ball where it needs to be. Courage to stand in the pocket and deliver. He seems cool under pressure, and that's going to be a big deal at the next level. He comes across as a winner, and ready to lead.

I see Brad Kaaya, which you can win with...... with a great OL and dependable running game. This could go either way depending on things out of Garcia’s control.

I like how he carries himself. Hope he has a great career here.
Arm wise, maybe. Everything else, I don't see it.

Brad had ZERO pocket presence.

I would say Brad needed a clean pocket to be effective. He had very little skill in escaping or in getting himself out of trouble. And his lack of forward mobility was a liability. I know that sounds like a pompous term “forward mobility” but it’s exactly what I meant. He could barely move north even half a foot. He just lacked that particular athleticism. It’s amazing he even made an NFL team and set the records at Miami. It’s a tribute to his throwing skills and smarts.

Another plus for Brad he was surprisingly tough and resilient even though many thought he wasn’t. But his lack of mobility/athleticism hindered him.

What always strikes me about him is he really comes off like one of the guys. Not some hot shot qb. I’ve seen it consistently regardless of who he’s been around. Look at how much our 21 recruits wanted him in the class. Combine that with how much he wanted to play this fall. I really think we hit a home run here.

Advertisement
Dorsey never had this type of arm talent. I love Ken as much as anybody but he had multiple 1st round picks at every skill position and one helluva oline. Dorsey would've gotten killed on these recent Miami teams. The homers might disagree but all you have to do is look where he was drafted for proof. That being despite all his accolades.
You're right that we will have to play to Garcia's strength's and not depend on RPO/zone read type plays like you do with a King. It should be a little more air raid mixed in with pro shotgun both at fast tempo.
I think Lashlee has proved that he can adjust to his QBs strengths. I'm still sitting here jaw-dropped on N'Kosi Perry's performance vs OKST....and that was with Kosi not expecting to play and the mood of the team being VERY LOW after King went down. How Perry responded gave me all the confidence in the world that even if D'Eriq isn't ready for Week 1 (really should say Week 2) we should be alright. We will miss Kings leadership but I truly believe that with a full spring of Martell-Matocha-TVD-Garcia we'll be in good hands long as we can get out of ATL vs Bama with zero to injury issues.

Man he reminds me of 12 from back in the day when throws it
Got that Namath swag, too.

1610989338117.png

Advertisement
I think Lashlee has proved that he can adjust to his QBs strengths. I'm still sitting here jaw-dropped on N'Kosi Perry's performance vs OKST....and that was with Kosi not expecting to play and the mood of the team being VERY LOW after King went down. How Perry responded gave me all the confidence in the world that even if D'Eriq isn't ready for Week 1 (really should say Week 2) we should be alright. We will miss Kings leadership but I truly believe that with a full spring of Martell-Matocha-TVD-Garcia we'll be in good hands long as we can get out of ATL vs Bama with zero to injury issues.
Jaw Dropped on Perry's performance??....wtf was so Jaw Dropping??

If you saw what Dorsey did at GreenTree Summer of 99....you'd understand.....His arm was plenty Good enough....

TVD's highlight reel was equally as impressive, more so with regard to arm strength. TVD appears to have a notably stronger arm based solely on reviewing their hype videos.

What impressed me the most about Garcia is the fact that he showed up at Grayson High sometime around week 3 of the season, learned the offense quickly, took over the starting role and played exceptionally well.

My hope going forward is that neither TVD or Garcia run for the portal as soon as the other one is named starter in 2022. Hopefully they both stick it out.

Advertisement
Back