Jake Garcia HL reel from Georgia

I watched a couple full games this season. He rarely is off target. I wouldn’t go there if I hadn’t seen a large sample size.

So was Kaaya, but how are Garcia's feet?

I don't expect Him to be Lamar, but can He at least get out of the pocket and move the sticks?

Does He show the ability to make the improvisational play via arm or leg?

Advertisement

I don't expect Him to be Lamar, but can He at least get out of the pocket and move the sticks?

Jake is very accurate when scrambling and can make all the throws from any arm angle. He doesn't get rattled under pressure and a lot of his completions come under a heavy rush.

The kid will take off and run. Way more athletic than Brad. He also stands in the pocket until the last second and will take the hit without closing his eyes before he even releases the ball ala Brad.

It’s all the same offense, just different play calls. For as great as King is as an athlete and leader, his passing limitations handcuff Lashlee as a play caller. Look how the passing game opened up with Nkosi during the bowl game. The offense is tailored to the quarterback. Perry is a decent athlete but his strength is throwing the ball downfield. Not as many designed QB run plays and more vertical routes. Seeing that Lashlee specifically targeted Jake Garcia shows me he’s not just trying to be Gus Malzahn.
I think we’ll need many more changes but I hear what you’re saying. I agree the bowl game was promising. However, we didn’t have much of a choice not to throw it either being down 3 scores.

Advertisement
Dorsey never had this type of arm talent. I love Ken as much as anybody but he had multiple 1st round picks at every skill position and one helluva oline. Dorsey would've gotten killed on these recent Miami teams. The homers might disagree but all you have to do is look where he was drafted for proof. That being despite all his accolades.
You're right that we will have to play to Garcia's strength's and not depend on RPO/zone read type plays like you do with a King. It should be a little more air raid mixed in with pro shotgun both at fast tempo.
I get your point but Dorseys high school highlights were pretty **** impressive. His accuracy was incredible.

only bringing it up since they are at similar points in their career

of course Dorsey was put in the ultimate position to succeed. I mean he got sacked what like once one year?

Advertisement
I get your point but Dorseys high school highlights were pretty **** impressive. His accuracy was incredible.

only bringing it up since they are at similar points in their career

of course Dorsey was put in the ultimate position to succeed. I mean he got sacked what like once one year?
That’s interesting. I don’t remember Dorsey much in HS. I still go back and watch the early 2k games every summer. The often fluttering outs and wobbly intermediate throws stick out to me . He could get away with that when you have guys like Dre and Shockey. Plus like you said, he had all day to throw against most teams. On the plus side, I think the OL will be best we’ve had in many years.

QB competition should be considered wide open. If Garcia or TVD earns the job between now and September then King can serve as the backup until he is 100%, at which point a fair evaluation can be made to decide who plays. Forget about announcing King as starter before the season unless he's CLEARLY the right choice when camp ends.

D
QB competition should be considered wide open. If Garcia or TVD earns the job between now and September then King can serve as the backup until he is 100%, at which point a fair evaluation can be made to decide who plays. Forget about announcing King as starter before the season unless he's CLEARLY the right choice when camp ends.
At the moment I think TVD has the advantage over Garcia. This is not because I think he is the better QB in the long run. That remains to be seen. I say this simply because TVD has a year head start in the system

While I do agree, its fair to say that Kyle Wright's hype video would have looked very similar to Jake Garcia's. Its just sooooo tough to gauge how a HS QB will do at the next level. That's why its critical for the staff to land a TVD/Garcia type kid in every recruiting cycle.
Yup. Because next level projections are too focused on arm strength, height, arm talent, release, touch, footwork, deep ball accuracy, etc... and not enough to do with a kid's ability to process everything that's happening around him.

Bobby Jones is famously quoted as saying, "golf is mainly played on a 5.5 inch course, the space between your ears." The same can be said for playing QB at a high level.

Advertisement
That’s interesting. I don’t remember Dorsey much in HS. I still go back and watch the early 2k games every summer. The often fluttering outs and wobbly intermediate throws stick out to me . He could get away with that when you have guys like Dre and Shockey. Plus like you said, he had all day to throw against most teams. On the plus side, I think the OL will be best we’ve had in many years.
Agreed. The OL definitely seems to be trending in the right direction

but yeah I just remember a few years ago watching his highlights and thinking “**** I didn’t realize how good he was”

you could tell the arm wasn’t exactly there but he made up for it with pinpoint accuracy

then again....it was a HIGHLIGHT reel haha

Yup. Because next level projections are too focused on arm strength, height, arm talent, release, touch, footwork, deep ball accuracy, etc... and not enough to do with a kid's ability to process everything that's happening around him.

Bobby Jones is famously quoted as saying, "golf is mainly played on a 5.5 inch course, the space between your ears." The same can be said for playing QB at a high level.

Great stuff.

Luv that quote from Bobby Jones.

Agreed. The OL definitely seems to be trending in the right direction

but yeah I just remember a few years ago watching his highlights and thinking “**** I didn’t realize how good he was”

you could tell the arm wasn’t exactly there but he made up for it with pinpoint accuracy

then again....it was a HIGHLIGHT reel haha

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back