Jake Garcia game observations

Just watched Jake Garcia's first game at Valdosta, a 28-25 win over a tough Warner Robins team (13-2 last year). Valdosta was down all game but came back to win in the 4th. Garcia finished with 22/34, 332 yards, 2 TDs and an INT.

PROS

- College-ready game. Smooth mechanics and knows where to go with the football. Processes well, goes through progressions and finds his checkdowns. For a kid who transferred cross-country late in the summer and is still learning the playbook, he looked mentally sharp. You can see why he had a 70% completion in California.

- Tough. He took some major hits and was noticeably limping after the game, yet still stood in the pocket and delivered throws.

- Good arm and accurate. When he had time to throw, he delivered a nice football with touch and some velocity.

CONS

- Lacks athleticism and overall twitch. I worry how his quickness will translate to the P5 level.

- Arm strength is solid but I would not consider him to have an explosive arm.

- Average size and doesn't have strong hands, which led to multiple fumbles.

Overall, I was ready to give up on him but he responded with an impressive second half. I would put his tools a few notches below Tyler Van Dyke but you have to like the intangibles. He showed a lot of mental toughness winning a big-time under unique circumstances, and he didn't go in the tank after numerous sacks.

The athleticism is the primary concern. The arm is solid and the mind looks very good.

You described brad kaaya

Advertisement
This dude isn't good at all he's garbage. For what we run he would be a terrible pickup
Idk about that. For one nobody has seen what we run lol. But I’m sure u talking about the added dimension that a kid like king brings..problem is, your not gunna find a kid who has that running dimension and ability to throw and diagnose growing on tree. If this kid can throw it at a high level and has the Brains he can get it done at this level

Pretty sure Lashlee knows his system more than most of you clowns. **** most of bums don't even football outside of Canes ball, **** some of you don't even watch that just HLs.

Preston Stone would be a solid take.
This could potentially be the understatement of the century. Stone is more than a solid take. That is an elite pull, far beyond what we could reasonably hope for at this point. If we somehow flip him, we'd be singing O Happy Day in full harmony ala Sister Act

Alas, all the folks with Texas ties say there's virtually no shot at this happening due to his father's SMU ties.

I'm goin' with the U Legacy here(DVD's very, very, very distant cousin). Kid is a better athlete than he gets credit for. Another thing that makes me comfortable with TVD is Lashlee's comfort level with him. Seems to me like Lashlee sees the tools to be successful in his O in TVD. I've met some tough *** cats from the Northeast that I'd take in a brawl, and Van Dyke strikes me as one tough *** ginger from up North...
All we do is drink, fight, & **** ugly women in the northeast.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Idk about that. For one nobody has seen what we run lol. But I’m sure u talking about the added dimension that a kid like king brings..problem is, your not gunna find a kid who has that running dimension and ability to throw and diagnose growing on tree. If this kid can throw it at a high level and has the Brains he can get it done at this level
i dont think hes what we should go after at qb,i want elite qbs that can scoot

i dont think hes what we should go after at qb,i want elite qbs that can scoot
Lol everyone does bro. I get what your saying tho. I’d prefer a get who can run too. But if You look at the top Dual threat QB in past recruiting cycles, not all of them are gunna hit. They aren’t easy to find. Case in point so far, kosi and Tate. This kid Garcia has the arm talent, feel and mental to get it done imo. Reminds me of brad. If brad had this Defense we definitely would’ve had multiple double digits win szns while he was here imo

Why even waste time with this dude? Get a better athlete who can run and throw. One of the traits of a good HC is brining in a strong qb.....something Miami hasn't done since Dorsey basically. Kaaya Polly could have been an all right college qb is his HC was a got dam fool.

Advertisement
Watch the full game and you'll see why Lashlee wants Jake. can make all the throws and is very, very accurate. I counted a dozen throws that were elte. Several deep balls were on the money, but it was an out route where he put the ball only where his WR could catch it that was beautiful (he anticipated the DB breaking on the ball).

His fumbles, interceptions and sacks were due mostly to an OL that was suspect against a very good WR defensive front.

Overall A effort from Jake against one of georgia's top teams.
Garcia has been at Valdosta 2 or 3 weeks.....at this point I doubt he has much of a comfort level with the offense yet.

I don't understand the love fest with TVD already. He has all the physical tools, but watch his HS film. The competition was horrible! No speed anywhere on the field!

Take a top QB every year.....period! Its one of the toughest positions to evaluate.

I'd imagine Lashlee is banking on one of these duel threats to come on board once they see King ball out, and put up insane numbers.

Advertisement
You described brad kaaya
I truly don't get the Kaaya hate on here, I get he didn't beat FSU but I don't put any of those losses on him and he typically got the ball out quick to mitigate his slow footedness (with the exception of the 1 game against VT).

I'd imagine Lashlee is banking on one of these duel threats to come on board once they see King ball out, and put up insane numbers.
I would be cool going this route at the moment, unless TVD or Perry look like they're ready. But I don't see how you turn down a Garcia to wait and hopefully get someone out of the portal.

Stone's father is on SMU's Board of Trustees? I don't see it. It'd be like Gary Dunn going to UFag.
Business decisions. SMU is G5, didn't look the same in their first game post-Lashlee. Lashlee has a relationship with Stone already. I know Dallas is home, but we have a punchers chance as the season goes on if King performs in this offense.

You’d have to live in Dallas to truly appreciate how much that flip is not happening.
I know I know, but are you going to pass up on big time football at a P5 and increasing your ability to be drafted in the end? Or stay at SMU (Home in Dallas) bc Daddy is a booster? It's a tough pull, but not impossible. Business Decision Season

Advertisement
Back