Jake Garcia game observations

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Just watched Jake Garcia's first game at Valdosta, a 28-25 win over a tough Warner Robins team (13-2 last year). Valdosta was down all game but came back to win in the 4th. Garcia finished with 22/34, 332 yards, 2 TDs and an INT.

PROS

- College-ready game. Smooth mechanics and knows where to go with the football. Processes well, goes through progressions and finds his checkdowns. For a kid who transferred cross-country late in the summer and is still learning the playbook, he looked mentally sharp. You can see why he had a 70% completion in California.

- Tough. He took some major hits and was noticeably limping after the game, yet still stood in the pocket and delivered throws.

- Good arm and accurate. When he had time to throw, he delivered a nice football with touch and some velocity.

CONS

- Lacks athleticism and overall twitch. I worry how his quickness will translate to the P5 level.

- Arm strength is solid but I would not consider him to have an explosive arm.

- Average size and doesn't have strong hands, which led to multiple fumbles.

Overall, I was ready to give up on him but he responded with an impressive second half. I would put his tools a few notches below Tyler Van Dyke but you have to like the intangibles. He showed a lot of mental toughness winning a big-time under unique circumstances, and he didn't go in the tank after numerous sacks.

The athleticism is the primary concern. The arm is solid and the mind looks very good.

Advertisement
probably not an NFL QB but imo looks like he could be a good college QB. if you can process quickly and accurately and display this kind of on-field leadership and toughness you should be able to be successful in college especially in a QB friendly system. he reminds me of a player like colt mccoy, though garcia is bigger. i think he would be a good take for this cycle and would likely be a positive addition to the QB room overall

Just watched Jake Garcia's first game at Valdosta, a 28-25 win over a tough Warner Robins team (13-2 last year). Valdosta was down all game but came back to win in the 4th. Garcia finished with 22/34, 332 yards, 2 TDs and an INT.

PROS

- College-ready game. Smooth mechanics and knows where to go with the football. Processes well, goes through progressions and finds his checkdowns. For a kid who transferred cross-country late in the summer and is still learning the playbook, he looked mentally sharp. You can see why he had a 70% completion in California.

- Tough. He took some major hits and was noticeably limping after the game, yet still stood in the pocket and delivered throws.

- Good arm and accurate. When he had time to throw, he delivered a nice football with touch and some velocity.

CONS

- Lacks athleticism and overall twitch. I worry how his quickness will translate to the P5 level.

- Arm strength is solid but I would not consider him to have an explosive arm.

- Average size and doesn't have strong hands, which led to multiple fumbles.

Overall, I was ready to give up on him but he responded with an impressive second half. I would put his tools a few notches below Tyler Van Dyke but you have to like the intangibles. He showed a lot of mental toughness winning a big-time under unique circumstances, and he didn't go in the tank after numerous sacks.

The athleticism is the primary concern. The arm is solid and the mind looks very good.

Any chance of finding a replay of this game? All I could find tonight was IMG.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
This kid is not worth one of our last two or three spots. I’m so tired of immobile slow progression guys. He’s not a fit for Lashlee’s offense. And we desperately need someone who can step in and start.

I wouldn’t call him a slow progression guy.

He read the field quickly last night. In some ways, he reminded me of Kaaya.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think Garcia is more mobile than he looked last night. He did get much better in the second half; Warner Robins was a tough game to start with given he's only been on that team a couple of weeks. There looked to be some issues with communication of plays from the sideline, too. New coach and a bunch of transfers coupled with a reduced practice schedule definitely contributed.

I'd like to see what he does in the next game or two after they've had time to gel as a team...

This Georgia experiment is risky for Garcia; if he does well, he may go into that QB competition with a little bit of an advantage. He'll certainly go in ready to play. Moss isn't playing at all this fall.

I'm a big TVD fan - looking forward to seeing him on the field to see what he can do.

TVD = Accurate...Tough..and Smart...With a Headstart in our system to boot...Garcia isn't made for a Lashlee system....

I agree that TVD has better raw tools and I think he’s the QB of the future but it’s not like we have to choose between one or the other, we can have both and let the chips fall. As far as not being a fit for Lashlee, if Lashlee is pushing hard for him then that should tell you everything you need to know. Lashlee seems like the type that he’ll actually adjust his offense to fit his QB, he’s worked with different types at Auburn, Uconn, and SMU.

Advertisement
Back