Ivy League moving football to the Spring

I look at this way - regardless of how you feel about the virus (you think it's going to kill us all, it's completely overblown, or somewhere in between) you have to consider how others are going to act. If some states/schools/conferences decide (rightfully or wrongfully) that they don't like how things are going and that football won't be played there and they are on your schedule, then it will impact you. Even if they are not on your schedule, if enough of them do it then it's going to impact the sport significantly overall.

Example: The Governor of South Carolina said this a few days ago:

I will not remove those restrictions,” McMaster said. “I cannot lift those restrictions, if these numbers continue to rise and the danger persists. I can’t do it. I won’t do it. This fall will not be like other falls. We will not be able to have college football. We will not be able to have high school football.”

If he follows through with that and similar things happen elsewhere, then the debate about the safety of letting the players play does not matter. If enough crucial pieces won't let football happen then I think the NCAA has no choice but to delay.

Advertisement
I look at this way - regardless of how you feel about the virus (you think it's going to kill us all, it's completely overblown, or somewhere in between) you have to consider how others are going to act. If some states/schools/conferences decide (rightfully or wrongfully) that they don't like how things are going and that football won't be played there and they are on your schedule, then it will impact you. Even if they are not on your schedule, if enough of them do it then it's going to impact the sport significantly overall.

I will not remove those restrictions,” McMaster said. “I cannot lift those restrictions, if these numbers continue to rise and the danger persists. I can’t do it. I won’t do it. This fall will not be like other falls. We will not be able to have college football. We will not be able to have high school football.”

If he follows through with that and similar things happen elsewhere, then the debate about the safety of letting the players play does not matter. If enough crucial pieces won't let football happen then I think the NCAA has no choice but to delay.
Honestly, I think the schedule should already be limited to 8-9 conference game, a conference championship, then the national championship. That way everybody can have a central location, one hotel per team, etc and have a controlled environment. Limit travel as much as you can with the teams. Play it in the least infected area you can find.

A vaccine will not make a difference for the spring... and it’s highly unlikely one would even be available en masse by then... historically and statistically speaking, it’s a pipe dream to think you’re going to have one that soon, that can be effective, safe and widely distributed.

Again, I fail to see what’s magical about the spring.

Spring gives hope simply because it provides us more time to control improve the numbers of infected. If less people are infected in Spring than Fall then we have a shot. Unfortunately, at this rate, we are ****ed because too many people don’t give a ****.

Honestly, I think the schedule should already be limited to 8-9 conference game, a conference championship, then the national championship. That way everybody can have a central location, one hotel per team, etc and have a controlled environment. Limit travel as much as you can with the teams. Play it in the least infected area you can find.

I am with you, but in the scenario where a state like South Carolina (or any other state with an ACC team, but especially the one with the National Title contender) doesnt let their teams play - no way the ACC season would be viewed as legitimate if Clemson can't play. Now maybe South Carolina gets pressured into allowing it, the virus numbers look better and they allow it, or they just change their minds but I don't see how (just limiting it to the P5) that you aren't going to have at least some of the schools not playing which will cause lost revenue, logistical issues, and legitimacy issues.

Again - I am not saying I think they should/shouldn't play, but the NCAA has to at least be thinking about pushing to spring, b/c if enough dominoes fall they will have no choice.

Advertisement
Most states started re-opening at about the same time. Georgia was about the first and that was in late April. Evidence is that the re-openings haven't impacted the positivity spikes.
Georgia is having moar cases. Half the restaurants wear eye live that reopened have closed again.

You bring up an excellent disconnect too many people have when debating or even discussing these things. They make prognostications based on their interpretation of facts without considering how the world will actually react.

Like we can sit here all day debating the intricacies of the virus and how that should* apply to sports but the real question/debate/speculation is and always has been how the powers that be will actually act and what their p-r sensibilities and concerns and lines are.

I get the feeling some of the governors in states that love college football are going to start using those types of threats to coerce the scumbags out there into wearing masks to halt the spread.

I know what California did. California saw success because of the early measures they put in place. They opened up too quickly and voila, here we are. Florida and Texas never really shut down, which is why we’re seeing what we’re seeing now. The idea that New York plateaued because of an earlier infection rate versus the drastic measures that were taken is just wrong.
Florida never really shut down? Beaches, boat ramps, parks, restaurants, hospitals, most non-emergent medical care were all deemed non-essential. Please explain what more was shut down in NYC than here.

Advertisement
I get the feeling some of the governors in states that love college football are going to start using those types of threats to coerce the scumbags out there into wearing masks to halt the spread.
Don’t know why. Any hunter or fisherman wears a mask at some point to fight UV rays or to blend into the environment. My perception is that the states(its people) that live more openly aren’t taking it seriously because they think because they’re less susceptible because they’re not on top of each other. That’s something that isn’t being discussed as well. States that have a more open way of living are going to be more prone to peaks and valleys as well as a longer battle to a virus because it isn’t going to spread as fast. That just goes to the opening situation. Being that we’re so open here, we probably avoid this peak and maybe even had a drastic drop in cases from where it was when we opened if we would’ve stayed in at least a month longer.

Florida never really shut down? Beaches, boat ramps, parks, restaurants, hospitals, most non-emergent medical care were all deemed non-essential. Please explain what more was shut down in NYC than here.
New York measures were in place for months. Do we really have to compare what Florida did/has done as a state to what measures were in place in NYC? Seriously?

New York measures were in place for months. Do we really have to compare what Florida did/has done as a state to what measures were in place in NYC? Seriously?
You said we never really shut down. I want to know what you mean by that. What did NY shut down that we didn't that is somehow responsible for the increased virus spread now.

Advertisement
Don’t know why. Any hunter or fisherman wears a mask at some point to fight UV rays or to blend into the environment. My perception is that the states(its people) that live more openly aren’t taking it seriously because they think because they’re less susceptible because they’re not on top of each other. That’s something that isn’t being discussed as well. States that have a more open way of living are going to be more prone to peaks and valleys as well as a longer battle to a virus because it isn’t going to spread as fast. That just goes to the opening situation. Being that we’re so open here, we probably avoid this peak and maybe even had a drastic drop in cases from where it was when we opened if we would’ve stayed in at least a month longer.
Based on how quickly it spread down here once they opened it back up, I doubt that staying locked in was going to do the job.

People are really dumb and irresponsible. As soon as they opened stuff up, people went haywire. They thought that opening meant they could just go back to doing what they used to do. Then, when the riots started, COVID was off the 24/7 news cycle for awhile, and dummies just assumed it was over.

To open bars and clubs and gyms was just mentally retarded. All it takes is a few diseased people in those setting to spread it like wildfire.

Here is Michigan. This is another spot that COVID hit several multiples harder than Texas, Florida and California. They are continuing to see declines after a massive peak. Again, we are seeing the same trend in every state and Western Europe. Places that got rocked drop the same way regardless of measures. The rises are in places where the virus hasn’t burned out.

The protests obviously had an impact, as the health officials in LA, Houston and Miami have all made clear. But that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t have happened. They were important and life can’t stand still. The bigger issue is that people saw the protests signed off by public health “experts” and took it as a green light to start having house parties. Those seem to be the primary drivers of spread, not the opening of shops. Bars were an overrreach and it was smart to pull back on those.

Here is Michigan. This is another spot that COVID hit several multiples harder than Texas, Florida and California. They are continuing to see declines after a massive peak. Again, we are seeing the same trend in every state and Western Europe. Places that got rocked drop the same way regardless of measures. The rises are in places where the virus hasn’t burned out.

The protests obviously had an impact, as the health officials in LA, Houston and Miami have all made clear. But that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t have happened. They were important and life can’t stand still. The bigger issue is that people saw the protests signed off by public health “experts” and took it as a green light to start having house parties. Those seem to be the primary drivers of spread, not the opening of shops. Bars were an overrreach and it was smart to pull back on those.

I wouldn't mind doing some contact tracing from those parties.

:thumbsup-kid:

Advertisement
They locked down first and stayed lock down the longest. They also have extremely tight mask policies and have been for much longer than the rest of the US. Florida, Texas and Other states in the south didn’t take it serious along with our president. Without getting into politics, this is why we are here.

Except NY death rate is still doubling FL despite the massive increase in cases reported in Florida

Most publications, journals, and experts, since whatever they say we follow right, agree obesity directly leads to ~350,000 deaths annually in just the US. Not even counting its a wholly avoidable co-morbidity for COVID. Go ahead and have another ho-ho. Pound down another bag of doritos with a coke--diet of course because watch your weight!

Stop by Krispy Kreme for your regular half dozen order (they know your name there) tomorrow morning. Well maybe not since you might have lost your job.

Let's get hysterical over healthy individuals socializing. You'd think they were having a wet t-shirt and thong contest-orgy at Century Villages in FL and AZ.

Who is irresponsible and selfish again?

Last edited:

They already have been. From July 1st:

Wear a mask or risk no college football this year.

That’s the message Gov. Brian Kemp, a die-hard Georgia fan, delivered Wednesday as he launched a statewide “Wear A Mask” tour.

“If people, especially our young people, don’t start wearing a mask when they’re going out in public and our numbers keep rising, that’s going to be a tall task,” he said of the prospect of a college football season.

“But if we all hunker down right now, and dig in the next two or three weeks, we can get this turned in the right direction.”

They already have been. From July 1st:

Wear a mask or risk no college football this year.

That’s the message Gov. Brian Kemp, a die-hard Georgia fan, delivered Wednesday as he launched a statewide “Wear A Mask” tour.

“If people, especially our young people, don’t start wearing a mask when they’re going out in public and our numbers keep rising, that’s going to be a tall task,” he said of the prospect of a college football season.

“But if we all hunker down right now, and dig in the next two or three weeks, we can get this turned in the right direction.”
I didn't know Kemp did that. But it makes perfect sense that the red state guys are going to have to start trying to appeal to something that matters to their constituents. And that's college football. They don't really give a **** about each other or even themselves in some instances. So it only makes sense to try to appeal to something else that matters to them.

Advertisement
Back