Ivy League moving football to the Spring

Mackmiller974

All ACC
Screenshot_20200704-103151_Twitter.jpg

Advertisement
Riley has been a voice of caution throughout this thing. He thought reporting back to campus too early in June was dumb.

I wouldn't base my decisions off what the Ivy League does, as the Ivy League doesn't rely on football to pay the bills like P5 does.

True, but having a P5 season in the spring still pays the bills satisfactorily. As long as it’s in the 2020-2021 academic calendar, athletic departments will survive. The only thing they can’t survive is a complete cancellation of the season and not playing ball again till fall 2021. So if they don’t think they can do it this fall, they will 100% move it to the spring and they still get the TV revenue in time to keep things afloat.

True, but having a P5 season in the spring still pays the bills satisfactorily. As long as it’s in the 2020-2021 academic calendar, athletic departments will survive. The only thing they can’t survive is a complete cancellation of the season and not playing ball again till fall 2021. So if they don’t think they can do it this fall, they will 100% move it to the spring and they still get the TV revenue in time to keep things afloat.
HIGHLY doubt this happens with the P5, especially with a potential second wave in the late fall/early spring. Ivies are doing this because most of their members are likely going to be virtual or hybrid in the fall

Advertisement
I’ve said all along that spring football is the backup plan and it’s probably 50/50 right now on playing this fall. Next two weeks will determine what happens.

the question about the spring is, Will seniors or draft eligible players sit out to focus on training for the NFL draft? Will the NFL agree to push back their combine and draft timeline to accommodate a spring college season?

We will have a football season no matter what though. We may just have to wait 7 more months. There is no doubt that there will be a vaccine by Dec-February time frame.

HIGHLY doubt this happens with the P5, especially with a potential second wave in the late fall/early spring. Ivies are doing this because most of their members are likely going to be virtual or hybrid in the fall

Maybe, but since so many schools get over half of their football revenue from ticket sales, it might be worth it to them to roll the dice on their being a vaccine/things are under better control by the spring. As you pointed out, there maybe a second wave, but (hopefully) we would be in the same position or better come spring than we are now.

The downside I would see it would be that it is potentially competing with Basketball - not sure what that would do (if anything) to TV contracts.

Florida just set another record of cases today. You’re being naive with your HIGHLY comment. It’s certainly on the table.

I’ve said all along that spring football is the backup plan and it’s probably 50/50 right now on playing this fall. Next two weeks will determine what happens.

the question about the spring is, Will seniors or draft eligible players sit out to focus on training for the NFL draft? Will the NFL agree to push back their combine and draft timeline to accommodate a spring college season?

We will have a football season no matter what though. We may just have to wait 7 more months. There is no doubt that there will be a vaccine by Dec-February time frame.

This will definitely be interesting. In regards to the NFL pushing back the draft, I think it would be in their best interests too in order to see what players come out of nowhere/which ones fall down the pecking order. The decision by the NFL will is likely to influence whether kids like Rousseau sit out. Even if they do push it, I could see more kids sitting out the bowl season due to the shortened time to recover from injuries.

If they do push to spring, the NCAA should consider allowing the schools to buy injury insurance for every kid (I have no idea if this is financially feasible).

Advertisement
The downside I would see it would be that it is potentially competing with Basketball - not sure what that would do (if anything) to TV contracts.

This is a good point that no one is talking about.
The Networks would want as little overlapping as possible between the two sports and there would probably be renegotiation of contracts or even opting out all together.
I imagine something that would mitigate it a bit would be for Athletic Departments to schedule football games only on weekends and reschedule basketball games only on week days.

But the Basketball Tournaments wants the eyeballs from the weekends so it would be hard to convince them of that.

NFL also has suggested they aren’t willing to move the draft back to accommodate CFB. So this seems a lot less feasible for that reason. A bunch of top guys would seemingly sit out.

I would imagine the NFL would work with NCAA to make this happen. You can't have a draft after not seeing players play for over a year. Even if the NFL plays this year, they're done in February. This still gives them time to scout and focus on the draft if it's pushed back towards the summer.

This will definitely be interesting. In regards to the NFL pushing back the draft, I think it would be in their best interests too in order to see what players come out of nowhere/which ones fall down the pecking order. The decision by the NFL will is likely to influence whether kids like Rousseau sit out. Even if they do push it, I could see more kids sitting out the bowl season due to the shortened time to recover from injuries.

If they do push to spring, the NCAA should consider allowing the schools to buy injury insurance for every kid (I have no idea if this is financially feasible).

If it moves to spring, I would suspect we see a smaller bowl season altogether. What’s the point of playing the potatoe bowl in May. Just need the college playoff and maybe the next top 10 bowls. The rest of the teams would just head directly into off season. I would think the NFL would help accommodate as much as possible but that’s why spring is absolutely worst case option. As I have posted before and seen others post, these kids are just as likely if not more likely to get the virus if there isn’t a season. I understand without a season you can protect your Mack Browns of the world but the thoughT of the virus disappearing and kids all the sudden having no risk cause they don’t play a sport is pretty stupid.

Advertisement
This is just Miamis luck. We have two first round talents at DE & a top 5 QB in the country & a once in a lifetime virus comes to ruin it all.

The football gods hate us.

That being said, you have to give the NFL credit for doing everything they can to dissuade CFB from delaying their start. They kept the 2020 NFL draft on time and refused to buckle to the pressure. They are keeping the current regular season on schedule as well. They also recently stated they won't move the 2021 draft.

That last point is a huge deal because if CFB does decide to move the start date back to spring, and the NFL 2021 draft DOESN'T move.....you're going to get players with draftable grades all over the country sitting out the 2021 season. The entire 2021 season would then basically become one big asterisk.

Advertisement
As I have posted before and seen others post, these kids are just as likely if not more likely to get the virus if there isn’t a season. I understand without a season you can protect your Mack Browns of the world but the thoughT of the virus disappearing and kids all the sudden having no risk cause they don’t play a sport is pretty stupid.

Agreed that it will be difficult to stop the kids from getting the virus if they aren't playing, but there is a difference between educating them and the players not following it while games aren't being played vs knowingly letting infected players play/be around others related with football.

If they delay to Spring there is the chance that 1) there may be a vaccine 2) we may have a better idea on how long immunity lasts (if at all) after being exposed and 3) related to number 2 better testing to see if people are immune.

None of those things are guaranteed, but the upside is less chance of spread due to football and the possibility of fans being able to attend and therefore more revenue. The downside is that some high profile players may sit out and that it may interfere with TV contracts for other sports.

Maybe, but since so many schools get over half of their football revenue from ticket sales, it might be worth it to them to roll the dice on their being a vaccine/things are under better control by the spring. As you pointed out, there maybe a second wave, but (hopefully) we would be in the same position or better come spring than we are now.

Not sure how this factors in, but that is not accurate. Most revenue comes from media rights. So, seems logical the question would be how those are impacted by a move to Spring.

The football gods hate us.

That being said, you have to give the NFL credit for doing everything they can to dissuade CFB from delaying their start. They kept the 2020 NFL draft on time and refused to buckle to the pressure. They are keeping the current regular season on schedule as well. They also recently stated they won't move the 2021 draft.

That last point is a huge deal because if CFB does decide to move the start date back to spring, and the NFL 2021 draft DOESN'T move.....you're going to get players with draftable grades all over the country sitting out the 2021 season. The entire 2021 season would then basically become one big asterisk.

The season is going to be full of asterisks already. There will be games cancelled or at best played with teams that are missing key players b/c they have to quarantine. I personally, rather watch a season where some high profile players sit out the whole thing than having teams vary wildly from week to week based on who is allowed to play that week.

Advertisement
Back