Ivy League moving football to the Spring

Not sure how this factors in, but that is not accurate. Most revenue comes from media rights. So, seems logical the question would be how those are impacted by a move to Spring.

Those numbers are across all sports, not just football.

I can't find where I read it, so I can't say for certain, but I thought I had read the average school brings in 60% of their revenue from ticket sales. Now I am probably remembering that wrong and I am sure that varies by school wildly (ex: I am sure the Dukes, Wake Forrests, and (probably) Miamis of the world get more way from TV while many small non P5 are probably the opposite), but even last year LSU had $92M in revenue and $36M came from ticket sales. So even if it is less than 40%, it is still a significant chunk of money for some schools.

Advertisement
I fell like I’ve heard that statement about 50 million times since mid-March.

For football yes it’s about the next two weeks and then having to set schedules and move forward or not. The PAC-12 has publicly stated this. I’m not talking about the “wait two weeks” crowd. I’m speaking on what is actually going on with football and football only.

CFB isn't happening this fall. Spring might be an option if they can get their acts together. But they need to pull the plug on this fall sooner rather than later to make it happen in the Spring.

USC (Cali) has notified students and families that the fall semester will be remote, with a few exceptions (some labs, etc). Little to no on campus housing will be available. Nothing about bringing any OOS athletes or those who live too far to commute to campus back, either.

Pretty sure none of the schools in North Carolina have publicly committed to any kind of on campus classes either.

Has UF or FSU made any public announcement about fall classes? online, remote or a combo?

I would imagine the NFL would work with NCAA to make this happen. You can't have a draft after not seeing players play for over a year. Even if the NFL plays this year, they're done in February. This still gives them time to scout and focus on the draft if it's pushed back towards the summer.
The early indications are that they won’t, especially if their season is played in full.

Advertisement
What is so magical about the spring? If this is an issue in the fall, it can be an issue in the spring...just like this spring was.

People acting like if football gets canceled in the fall, everything will be back to normal in spring enough to make people comfortable enough to go forward.,

If people can’t wrap their heads around fall football, how likely is the problem to be resolved enough for them to be comfortable in the spring?

Nah, if we aren’t having it in the fall, it seems more than likely we won’t have it in the spring either.

What is so magical about the spring? If this is an issue in the fall, it can be an issue in the spring...just like this spring was.

People acting like if football gets canceled in the fall, everything will be back to normal in spring enough to make people comfortable enough to go forward.,

If people can’t wrap their heads around fall football, how likely is the problem to be resolved enough for them to be comfortable in the spring?

Nah, if we aren’t having it in the fall, it seems more than likely we won’t have it in the spring either.

The difference is you have more of a chance for vaccines, treatment and more research. Why rush when you are in the middle of a pandemic to play football????

The difference is you have more of a chance for vaccines, treatment and more research. Why rush when you are in the middle of a pandemic to play football????
True.

But College Football is still a business (whether we like it or not). And like many big businesses they may not want to lose millions of dollars waiting for vaccines and treatments and more research that may or may not help save lives.

Money talks.

Advertisement
I’ve been kind of quiet on this stuff even though I’m a former health professional but I’m gonna say something now. There’s a lot of overreaction going on. There’s spikes in cases because there were riots and protests across the country. What did they think was going happen? It has nothing to do with random spikes. Moving dates and canceling football isn’t going to help this situation. There’s plenty of ways to safely do this. Players can wear visors and face masks like they do when they’re in a extremely cold environment. Baseball and basketball ball could do the same thing with facemasks and replace visors with eye protection. The best way to fight this is sanitation and social distancing when possible but there’s no need to social distance if they person across from you doesn’t have which going by the testing requirements that would have to be implemented, should be the case.

I think it could be better to start the reg season during normal bowl szn or even late November. That u still have some sort of off szn program still..but recruiting szn will certainly be a mess..we went on Lockdown too late and opened up to early smh..mofos in Florida moving really dumb rn

I’ve been kind of quiet on this stuff even though I’m a former health professional but I’m gonna say something now. There’s a lot of overreaction going on. There’s spikes in cases because there were riots and protests across the country. What did they think was going happen? It has nothing to do with random spikes. Moving dates and canceling football isn’t going to help this situation. There’s plenty of ways to safely do this. Players can wear visors and face masks like they do when they’re in a extremely cold environment. Baseball and basketball ball could do the same thing with facemasks and replace visors with eye protection. The best way to fight this is sanitation and social distancing when possible but there’s no need to social distance if they person across from you doesn’t have which going by the testing requirements that would have to be implemented, should be the case.
It's easy to act dumb but it's quite obvious what was going to happen with all those kids running around in the streets and the same people who had you locked down ignored it.

Advertisement
It's easy to act dumb but it's quite obvious what was going to happen with all those kids running around in the streets and the same people who had you locked down ignored it.
No, no it’s not just them running around. It’s about the sanitation part of it. You think they went home and showered, wash their hands, used sanitizer, etc? Probably not and who knows where they went afterwards.

the protesting is a is a good point.. there’s no level of equipment in football or basketball that will stop mofos infected from breathing heavy, sweating, spitting etc etc And Therefore spreading it. I think the spike is a combination of things, u can point to the protest certainly, opening businesses like gyms, clubs and bars too soon, and the rise in testing..the testing is just shining light on case we didn’t know about for sure. Our leadership right now is deplorable. No clear messaging going on

Advertisement

A vaccine will not make a difference for the spring... and it’s highly unlikely one would even be available en masse by then... historically and statistically speaking, it’s a pipe dream to think you’re going to have one that soon, that can be effective, safe and widely distributed.

Again, I fail to see what’s magical about the spring.

A vaccine will not make a difference for the spring... and it’s highly unlikely one would even be available en masse by then... historically and statistically speaking, it’s a pipe dream to think you’re going to have one that soon, that can be effective, safe and widely distributed.

Again, I fail to see what’s magical about the spring.
I have a better chance eating Rihanna’s puss tonight then there being a vaccine come spring

Exactly. I'm getting the feeling that people won't be happy allowing college football until there's an effective vaccine. And, as you have schooled us, there's no guarantee of that happening any time soon.

People are perfectly happy with protests, packed beaches, and political rallies with no masks, but the mere thought of healthy kids playing college football makes them lose whatever limited marbles they have. They must be languishing under the faulty premise that these college kids will go bury themselves in a bunker in isolation if college football is cancelled. They're going to catch it like they are catching it now in records numbers.

Advertisement
Back