Ivy League moving football to the Spring

Bro your state was riddled with COVID. Any immunologist is going to tell you that because of your earlier infection rate that you would eventually plateau and decrease while other states might increase because the infection rate wasn’t as high.
We plateaued because of the measures put in place. If New York didn’t put the measures in place that it did for as long, it would’ve been worse. Look at California and that completely cuts against your argument. They eased restrictions and are now back skyrocketing.

Advertisement
We have 7million plus people here, so I’m not sure that really adds up. We just successfully flattened the curve with a more intense and prolonged shutdown than most of the country. We don’t even have solid data on what the antibodies actually mean yet.

It’s not just antibodies. Some people are having corona-specific T-cell responses that don’t show up on antibody tests.

A Nobel laureate physicist from Stanford has been saying from the beginning that the virus hits herd immunity at 15% and burns out because of the existing corona immunity from common colds. His models have held up even amidst different lockdowns.

We plateaued because of the measures put in place. If New York didn’t put the measures in place that it did for as long, it would’ve been worse. Look at California and that completely cuts against your argument. They eased restrictions and are now back skyrocketing.

California has had a pretty strict lockdown and didn’t open up as fast as Texas and Florida. The common thread between the three is that they had a very low death rate (and likely low penetration) on the first go around. The states with high death rates all went in a different direction.

Sweden has followed the same curve as Europe and the big eastern cities on deaths/hospitalization with no lockdown. New York is even more dramatic because it was hit harder than any place in the world (1,600 deaths per 1m, 3X Italy).

California has had a pretty strict lockdown and didn’t open up as fast as Texas and Florida. The common thread between the three is that they had a very low death rate (and likely low penetration) on the first go around. The states with high death rates all went in a different direction.

Sweden has followed the same curve as Europe and the big eastern cities on deaths/hospitalization with no lockdown. New York is even more dramatic because it was hit harder than any place in the world (1,600 deaths per 1m, 3X Italy).
I know what California did. California saw success because of the early measures they put in place. They opened up too quickly and voila, here we are. Florida and Texas never really shut down, which is why we’re seeing what we’re seeing now. The idea that New York plateaued because of an earlier infection rate versus the drastic measures that were taken is just wrong.

I know what California did. California saw success because of the early measures they put in place. They opened up too quickly and voila, here we are. Florida and Texas never really shut down, which is why we’re seeing what we’re seeing now. The idea that New York plateaued because of an earlier infection rate versus the drastic measures that were taken is just wrong.

I don’t support the Sweden model (we needed a lockdown to buy time), but their hospitalization curve is dropping like Sandy Koufax threw it. This is strong evidence that the virus behaves pretty similarly regardless of measures.

All of the countries/states with death rates over 400 are seeing the same trends. California, Texas and Florida are very different in many ways but all three have low death rates. The virus hasn’t burnt itself out yet. That’s why they are rising at the same time.

Advertisement
I don’t support the Sweden model (we needed a lockdown to buy time), but their hospitalization curve is dropping like Sandy Koufax threw it. This is strong evidence that the virus behaves pretty similarly regardless of measures.

All of the countries/states with death rates over 400 are seeing the same trends. California, Texas and Florida are very different in many ways but all three have low death rates. The virus hasn’t burnt itself out yet. That’s why they are rising at the same time.
Sweden has a population of 10 million. They’re also outpacing neighboring counties in deaths and infections. Their own PM ordered and investigation into the shutdown and it seems inevitable that they make some changes. I’m not sure that anyone currently sees their approach as a success.

The protests were always going to be problematic but the mere overall geography of the spikes along with general timelines doesn't support the focus that some are putting on them.

The world of **** we're in right now in relation to positives is due to sloppy reopenings, Memorial Day weekend and then the protests. In that order. Feel free to umbrella that all under "General American Stupidity". And I'm even intentionally omitting the politicization of masks.

Not that it matters a whole lot too but I'm also inclined to give a decent % of the protest participants at least a modicum of credit for the large amount that actually did wear masks. Certainly more than your average Kendall family that had every cousin from Homestead to Jupiter over for house and pool parties on Memorial Day weekend or clowns that filled Piazza Italia on Las Olas like it was The Tavern in 2001 on the last Thursday night of the semester.

The same and worse can be said about the cretins in Texas and Arizona.
Agree. Lots of silent carriers transmitting this thing by not wearing masks, staying inside for extended periods while around others.

When I saw that packed bar in Las Olas on IG, I knew we were in for some numbers.

Sweden has a population of 10 million. They’re also outpacing neighboring counties in deaths and infections. Their own PM ordered and investigation into the shutdown and it seems inevitable that they make some changes. I’m not sure that anyone currently sees their approach as a success.

I’m not advocating that model. But the evidence is very useful for comparisons.

In Western Europe, this thing hit a death rate between 450-600 per million (regardless of lockdown) and then dropped like a stone. We see similar things here, although the death rates in the NE are higher than Europe and the South is significantly lower.

Advertisement
Back two the original subject: The words Ivy League and football dew knot belong in the same sentence!

Trust me, the SEC schools don't give a **** what those communist marxist Leninest universities due.

What does bacteria have to do with a virus?
What do you mean what it has to do with the virus? It soils the mask and reduces its effectiveness. Hence why all healthcare personnel use one mask, one time and dump the mask. It’s like putting a dirty A/C filter to filter out particles instead of a clean one.

They locked down first and stayed lock down the longest. They also have extremely tight mask policies and have been for much longer than the rest of the US. Florida, Texas and Other states in the south didn’t take it serious along with our president. Without getting into politics, this is why we are here.

Most states started re-opening at about the same time. Georgia was about the first and that was in late April. Evidence is that the re-openings haven't impacted the positivity spikes.

This is a good point that no one is talking about.
The Networks would want as little overlapping as possible between the two sports and there would probably be renegotiation of contracts or even opting out all together.
I imagine something that would mitigate it a bit would be for Athletic Departments to schedule football games only on weekends and reschedule basketball games only on week days.

But the Basketball Tournaments wants the eyeballs from the weekends so it would be hard to convince them of that.

This is a good point and I think the answer for networks is the same as the answer for schools: cancelling a season is costlier than shifting and planning around conflicts. The networks would be losing money if they don't have a product so adjusting scheduled around allows them to get paid. No?

Advertisement
What is so magical about the spring? If this is an issue in the fall, it can be an issue in the spring...just like this spring was.

People acting like if football gets canceled in the fall, everything will be back to normal in spring enough to make people comfortable enough to go forward.,

If people can’t wrap their heads around fall football, how likely is the problem to be resolved enough for them to be comfortable in the spring?

Nah, if we aren’t having it in the fall, it seems more than likely we won’t have it in the spring either.

I disagree. The sheeple are scared of the Ro (i.e. the "cases"). By the time spring comes around "cases" will be under control throughout the country, and the outrage machine will be on to something else.

Advertisement
Balls on accurate.

There's a segment that wants to blame the protests first and foremost for fairly obvious reasons. But this whole spike is multifactorial with the main element being our stupidity and inability to control our urges. We are a very undisciplined, me-first country, and what's happening right now is a result of our mindset as a country.

We're weak and soft and unable to control ourselves for the better overall good. The babies needed to have their Memorial Day parties and hit the bars and clubs and get sloppy and lay all over each other. Further, the babies turned masks into some line in the idiot sandbox instead of just doing it for the greater good. They invent theories on how masks make the problem worse and how a mask inhibits free speech and stops them from getting oxygen and every other sissified thing you can think of because the bottom line is they're too selfish and self-absorbed to put one on.
You hit everything perfectly except but I think it has more to do with carelessness than being weak. My mom has a friend right now that her son was diagnosed with COVID and as soon as he felt better(not when he finished quarantine) he walked out the house even after she tried to stop him. People think this is a joke because they don’t know how this **** spreads but other people over blow it because they don’t know how it spreads as well.

You hit everything perfectly except but I think it has more to do with carelessness than being weak. My mom has a friend right now that her son was diagnosed with COVID and as soon as he felt better(not when he finished quarantine) he walked out the house even after she tried to stop him. People think this is a joke because they don’t know how this **** spreads but other people over blow it because they don’t know how it spreads as well.
I think carelessness is weakness. People who are careless are mentally weak. They see the world only through their weak-minded, self-centered prism.

The protests were always going to be problematic but the mere overall geography of the spikes along with general timelines doesn't support the focus that some are putting on them.

The world of **** we're in right now in relation to positives is due to sloppy reopenings, Memorial Day weekend and then the protests. In that order. Feel free to umbrella that all under "General American Stupidity". And I'm even intentionally omitting the politicization of masks.

Not that it matters a whole lot too but I'm also inclined to give a decent % of the protest participants at least a modicum of credit for the large amount that actually did wear masks. Certainly more than your average Kendall family that had every cousin from Homestead to Jupiter over for house and pool parties on Memorial Day weekend or clowns that filled Piazza Italia on Las Olas like it was The Tavern in 2001 on the last Thursday night of the semester.

The same and worse can be said about the cretins in Texas and Arizona.
The Tavern!!!!!

Blast from the past.

Advertisement
Back