Ivins Update 6-17-20

Advertisement
Easier said than done. Rivers will be an OT, or at least get every chance to compete for one of the spots in a year or 2. It isn't uncommon for young OTs to start their college careers at OG when possible.
He will get his shot at Tackle. With that being said his future in the NFL is definitely guard.

Advertisement
He will get his shot at Tackle. With that being said his future in the NFL is definitely guard.
I'm not so sure. I think he's the better prospect between him and Walker but that's just my opinion based off the smallest of sample sizes. Watching Rivers dominate in the All American game sold me on the kid playing OT but we'll see. As far as his position in the NFL I'm not projecting that far. It's way to early for that. I'm just talking about him starting at OT for us at some point in the next year or 2.

Advertisement
Tackle is still possible for rivers. He had one week of practice still a lot to be seen

Tackles will be Campbell and Williams unless one of them gets hurt then Scaife will kick out. Rivers is starting at guard. Down the line he may have the same situations as Scaife where he is bounced inside or out depending on the need of the team.

Advertisement
Tackles will be Campbell and Williams unless one of them gets hurt then Scaife will kick out. Rivers is starting at guard. Down the line he may have the same situations as Scaife where he is bounced inside or out depending on the need of the team.
Right, I know they put him at guard I shoulda clarified I think down the road he could be a tackle but not this year. I agree that could easily happen. They have walker, Campbell, and rivers all potentially could be at tackle and that is a lot better then what we’ve had the last couple years.

Advertisement
I read and appreciate your breaking down the numbers frequently. I have a couple questions though. Do you see the 25 cap being dropped in the near future with how the transfer portal has started to hit teams sometimes in large numbers? Also, if there were another Marshall type situation to occur how would a team ever get back to 85?

I don't think the NCAA would ever drop the 25 IC limit. I've mentioned before that I think a more likely first step would be to allow schools to have an extra IC for every player who transfers who has graduated, and maybe for upperclassmen who have made 75% of the Academic Progress to a degree. The NCAA is more invested in making sure kids graduate than it is in worrying about whether Miami's 3 head coaches in 5 years has created a lot of attrition.

As for Marshall, I'm sure the NCAA could pass a waiver for one school if the circumstances were so rare.

Advertisement
Back