Ivins Update 6-17-20

Has been it confirmed exactly how many spots we have left?

Only God, the NCAA, and the UM Athletic Department know for certain, but it is fairly obvious that the lack of "official" recruitment of Williams/Moise, coupled with the non-signing of an LOI/FAA, means that we are blueshirting both. You wouldn't do that if you were sitting on a crap-ton of 2020 slots, old prior-year countbacks, and the mythical Asa Martin IC slot.

Advertisement
Moise’s upside is at guard.

We signed three tackles last year. If current numbers hold, we would’ve signed four tackles and four interior linemen in two years. If the hard cap expands, we will likely try to add another tackle. That’s a solid ratio.
I know Everyone has been in quarantine but blissett doesnt really have a Dend’s body. I envision him moving back to dt too. That could pave a way for us to groom moise at guard for sure
B18B708D-BDEE-48AA-82A4-0847F71A0B77.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't think the NCAA would ever drop the 25 IC limit. I've mentioned before that I think a more likely first step would be to allow schools to have an extra IC for every player who transfers who has graduated, and maybe for upperclassmen who have made 75% of the Academic Progress to a degree. The NCAA is more invested in making sure kids graduate than it is in worrying about whether Miami's 3 head coaches in 5 years has created a lot of attrition.

As for Marshall, I'm sure the NCAA could pass a waiver for one school if the circumstances were so rare.
This hard cap always been in place? Cause I remember when teams used to sign over 25 guys in a class

Advertisement
@Canes Legacy 24 spots are available for 2021 if Miami can convince 2021 DE Jabari Ishmael to come as a preferred walkon using his father's UM employee dependent free tuition benefits his dad Victor has been an asst S&C coach for I believe 15+ yrs, an after 10yrs of service employees dependents can attend UM for free). Then set the young man up as a priority for name and likeness opportunities to help cover his housing expenses. Or Ishmael can commute for a year and pocket the money from the marketing gigs. Then after his 1st year at UM award him a full scholarship in after spring oF 2022 and Ishmael will only count against the 85 man cap and not the 25 initial counter.

Randy Shannon's son Xavier came to Miami as a grad transfer olinemen year ago from FIU when Randy was the Head Coach in similar manner only it was for 1 year.

Go Canes

Again, I have always cited various loopholes (Carlos Huerta had tuition remission from a relative employed at UM), including UM's new policy on need-based financial aid, as a way to circumvent the mathematical limits. You don't have to use "name and likeness" income to pay for housing when UM can provide regular "available to every student" financial aid, and it's also possible for Dade residents to live at home (and what true freshman is going to get any real "name and likeness" money?).

But that doesn't give us 24 spots, we would still have 23 IC slots with room for another (very good) PWO. I have said that it will take a very special recruit to bypass all of the trappings of recruiting (official visit, in-home visit, signing ceremony, etc.).

I hope we can do it. Williams was our first-ever blueshirt, and now we might be getting our second. Manny might be the 2020 version of Butch-and-Pete when it comes to working the rules to our benefit.

@Canes Legacy 24 spots are available for 2021 if Miami can convince 2021 DE Jabari Ishmael to come as a preferred walkon using his father's UM employee dependent free tuition benefits his dad Victor has been an asst S&C coach for I believe 15+ yrs, an after 10yrs of service employees dependents can attend UM for free). Then set the young man up as a priority for name and likeness opportunities to help cover his housing expenses. Or Ishmael can commute for a year and pocket the money from the marketing gigs. Then after his 1st year at UM award him a full scholarship in after spring oF 2022 and Ishmael will only count against the 85 man cap and not the 25 initial counter.

Randy Shannon's son Xavier came to Miami as a grad transfer olinemen year ago from FIU when Randy was the Head Coach in similar manner only it was for 1 year.

Go Canes
If Stroud asked this for him he deserves to be fired. Now I know why you want him to ask this

This hard cap always been in place? Cause I remember when teams used to sign over 25 guys in a class

That is why the hard cap was established in the last decade and tweaked a few times since.

Today, if you see more than 25 guys signed/enrolled, it will be due to an exception (countbacks, mid-year graduation replacement rule, blueshirting), not because some school found a magical way to evade the rule.

No everyone is speculating 23 csz of moise and walker coming in but nothing confirmed from what I've seen

Anyone, at any time, is free to post "confirmation" of any school's use of their IC slots.

Wait, that information isn't released to the public for "confirmation"? Wow.

Nobody is "speculating". Neither Williams nor Moise was "officially recruited", nor did they sign LOIs/FAAs. The only reason to go to such lengths is to blueshirt a player. There would be no reason to treat a valued recruit in such a way if you were sitting on a stockpile of current-year IC slots.

If you want "confirmation", try holding your breath for a year to see how many we sign, and if we continue to "not recruit" and "not sign" kids so that we can count them to 2022.

And, as I have said for years, all of this is subject to change based on how many kids graduate in December and leave school. And/or NCAA rule changes.

Manny is playing chess. We may debate how well he can play chess, but he is working at it very hard.

Advertisement
Ok if a kid is into Texas I am going to say the kid would not like Miami. I don't know the kid of course but does the kid understand the culture of Texas? It isfor country kids. Miami is City. a guy fits into one or the other
If that was the case he would be headed to college station instead. Jalen is from south Houston he’s a city kid Miami is comfortable for him

Ivins said there are 23 spots (Williams and Moise being 24 and 25) at this time. The thought is the staff is recruiting as if that hard cap will be adjusted - it's under discussion apparently and the belief must be there is a good shot it happens.

Amazing news!

Advertisement
Ivins said there are 23 spots (Williams and Moise being 24 and 25) at this time. The thought is the staff is recruiting as if that hard cap will be adjusted - it's under discussion apparently and the belief must be there is a good shot it happens.

So...Ivins finally agrees with what I've been saying for months.

Although he DID tell me that we still had a countback (not true).

Anyhow, I hope the NCAA changes the IC rules, but I haven't seen much that supports that this is very likely to happen in the near future. Usually, you see coaches commenting on how a particular rule needs to change before the rule actually changes.

Ok if a kid is into Texas I am going to say the kid would not like Miami. I don't know the kid of course but does the kid understand the culture of Texas? It isfor country kids. Miami is City. a guy fits into one or the other
No truth in this

Advertisement
I know Moise has been in play seemingly forever, is he really that good? I’m actually asking, most of what I know about him has been that he could an interior lineman on offense or defense and he’s been trying to qualify academically for months.

I know Moise has been in play seemingly forever, is he really that good? I’m actually asking, most of what I know about him has been that he could an interior lineman on offense or defense and he’s been trying to qualify academically for months.
Best way I can put it. Do you think the staff would go through this much trouble or wait him out, if they didn't think he was worth it?

Advertisement
Back