It's Official: California to let college athletes make money, defying NCAA

Personally, I don't see a lot of big companies lining up to pay football players (at least not until they are nearing draft eligibility). Nike, Adidas, Under Armor aren't going to pay some high school football player. They will and do pay basketball players, but it's easier to spot of future NBA star right out of high school than it is to spot a future NFL star. As such, I think the primary impact of this is that it will legalize boosters paying kids to come to their school. Miami will not benefit from that. May as well turn off the lights at that point.

Theres a lot of "influencer" money to be made on social media.

Advertisement
The main reason CA can set precedent such as this is because they have the WORLD's 5th largest economy and a 10th of the population of the US. It'll be interesting to see if/when other states adopt similar policies. I don't think it's over. The NCAA will fight this tooth and nail. Whether or not CA is willing to go up against the NCAA and it's war chest is yet to be seen.

Football players will be able to "earn" money from their images, likenesses, etc. after they've started their careers in the school of their choice. The way it may effect recruiting is the bag schools may have to pay even more for top players; especially if said school is in a smaller market; ie Baga, Clem$on, OK, etc.

Advertisement
The only problem with paying players is policing it. Either every player should be paid the same or there needs to be some sort of "salary cap" that levels the playing field. The end of college athletics as we knew it is soon over.
Yep.

This will benefit a few players handsomely. Most will see very little change. I don't think the law is going to revolutionize college football as much as some of these posters seem to say. It is just going to entrench- and shed sunlight- on an already booming bag game. The bags have never been from the school per se. Now, bag deniers will see how the game is played.

Advertisement
The main reason CA can set precedent such as this is because they have the WORLD's 5th largest economy and a 10th of the population of the US. It'll be interesting to see if/when other states adopt similar policies. I don't think it's over. The NCAA will fight this tooth and nail. Whether or not CA is willing to go up against the NCAA and it's war chest is yet to be seen.

Football players will be able to "earn" money from their images, likenesses, etc. after they've started their careers in the school of their choice. The way it may effect recruiting is the bag schools may have to pay even more for top players; especially if said school is in a smaller market; ie Baga, Clem$on, OK, etc.
Spot on.

This is so dumb. A big city market doesn't mean automatic contract. You still need to prove yourself on the field to get national brands have you endorse them.

What this law IS going to allow is the following: local booster owns a business and the university promises a recruit a $250,000 contract with the business if they sign with them. It'll be the bag game but over the table now. And just like the bag game, the schools with the most boosters backing them with the most money will win the game.
It all depends. Basketball wise the hottest commodity,Zion Williamson was not even the top recruit in his class RJ barret was if Duke offers Zion that kind of deal why would RJ barret go to Duke if he could be the Zion at USC.
Also the majority of the boosters of a given university aren’t in a position to offer a type of deal like that. They make make 500k a year but they don’t have the ability to offer recruit x an endorsement deal to go to a specific University. Based off that the Ivy league would clean house.

Advertisement
Saban will give all his players a Benz plus put hem in the dealership commercials and pay them. It’s open season of the ncaa allows it. Manny better get some sharp marketing minds and legal scholars on this issue and use it to our advantage.
A smart coach like saban will find a way to continue to have players go there. If manny is as smart and with the times as people say he is he’s will plan to get ahead of this and use it.
The local sports agents better get their networking in order.

Alabama is the poorest state in America. Half the state is nothing but trailer parks and klan rallies. They already pumping every dollar they got in to that program.

Big markets gonna clean up and that includes Miami
Actually Mississippi is the poorest state in the country. I've been to Alabama and never seen a Klan rally. Maybe they aren't present in Mobile, Bham, or Montgomery.

Advertisement
This will benefit the bag schools even more. Now they can be up front about it. Big markets will have nothing to do with it. Advertisers aren't going to sign high school kids to deals. The small red neck dealerships and other local SEC businesses will be promising deals to recruits once they sign with the Bamas of the world.

This will benefit a few players handsomely. Most will see very little change. I don't think the law is going to revolutionize college football as much as some of these posters seem to say. It is just going to entrench- and shed sunlight- on an already booming bag game. The bags have never been from the school per se. Now, bag deniers will see how the game is played.
Exactly. With this line of thinking you'd think every player for a big market team is cleaning up in endorsements. The answer actually is only a handful of superstars get these big money endorsement deals. Is Laveon Bell currently the highest paid athlete in the world becasue he moved to NY? Is Amari Cooper making more money than ever endorsement wise becasue he moved to Dallas?

Nope, only a few players have nation-wide name recognition and in CFB you only find those names at the bluest of the blue bloods.

You really think it would get to that level in a market like Miami with professional athletes? I guess in local grass roots stuff to make a quick buck for these kids. Like hedley making an appearance at a tattoo shop for a couple hundred lol
All the professional teams are booty and if the majority of kids on the team are from Miami that’s more marketability

Miami can survive this honestly, they have boosters like everyone else by obviously not as many. Non revenue generating sports however will likely be cut as its funded mostly by football anyway. That extra money could go to football and basketball athletes. They will have to police this somehow though, would rather a set amount every scholarship athlete gets after they graduate which incentivizes education Obviously but they still we get a pay off after. Maybe something like $30,000 or so. Yes being a student athlete is hard and I get All that but at the end of the day everything is paid for in school for them and are getting a great education being COMPLETELY debt free . Also can pursue a masters if I’m not mistaken which is funded by the school. Which is something no one should really scoff at as being nothing.

You just can't cut so-called nonRevenue sports, especially women's teams, because of Title9. I think many of you folks need to do some studying on college athletics, it's Federal obligations and the law of economics. This not good at all for UM, but keep dreaming that it will be.

Advertisement
Back