It's Official: California to let college athletes make money, defying NCAA

sitzee

Freshman
https://apnews.com/a1aacd618278414e...AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter

I believe that college athletes ought to paid or given some sort of allowance on top of the education that they receive, but this is a Huge mistake that California is making IMO.
This is giving the College Athlete way too much Leeway. Athletes already think about their own brand before going Pro, now they're going to be able to act upon it. What do you think is going to happen now? Athletes already have a tough time juggling classes & practice, now they've got something else to handle and what do you think will take precedence?
What'll happen during a game? With a minute left and your team trailing by a couple of points, will a Star QB try to drive down the field for a score or will they try to throw an Incredible pass to win the game on their arm? Or a basketball team trailing by 1, and the star player grabs the rebound and sees an open player for an easy layup, will he make the pass or drive the length of the court and try for the game-winning basket himself?
Not all top college athletes make the Pro's and they may try and make a Buck while they can when in college. IMO it's the wrong way to allow college athletes to make some money while in college

Advertisement
https://apnews.com/a1aacd618278414e...AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter

I believe that college athletes ought to paid or given some sort of allowance on top of the education that they receive, but this is a Huge mistake that California is making IMO.
This is giving the College Athlete way too much Leeway. Athletes already think about their own brand before going Pro, now they're going to be able to act upon it. What do you think is going to happen now? Athletes already have a tough time juggling classes & practice, now they've got something else to handle and what do you think will take precedence?
What'll happen during a game? With a minute left and your team trailing by a couple of points, will a Star QB try to drive down the field for a score or will they try to throw an Incredible pass to win the game on their arm? Or a basketball team trailing by 1, and the star player grabs the rebound and sees an open player for an easy layup, will he make the pass or drive the length of the court and try for the game-winning basket himself?
Not all top college athletes make the Pro's and they may try and make a Buck while they can when in college. IMO it's the wrong way to allow college athletes to make some money while in college
We live in a capitalist society which is what made our country great because your success is determined by how hard you work. We control our destiny in this country and these kids have every right under our constitution to make money off themselves. It’s the America way and the communist regime of the NCAAs days are numbered and will be totally blocked out big time CFB In the very near future as the ncaa needs football, not the other way around.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This is the beginning of the end for Alabama, and all of the hick-*** schools that are currently on top.

They won't be able to compete.

Schools in big city markets are going to clean up
Lol. Uh no. Winning is the best exposure. This would continue the super team **** we’ve seen when the handful of programs like Bama, OSU, UGA, Clemson eventually adopt it.

Bags, play with other top recruits, continually play in the playoffs where you get even more exposure.

The best time to take advantage of this is now before the rest of CFB adopt it

Advertisement
I do t see how anyone can think is negative. Exactly what does the NCAA do to make $4 billion annually of the blood sweat and tears of student athletes? Absolutely NOTHING. So many people making money off these kids while they get peanuts if that. Why not legalize the bag game and level the playing field? I know it's an unintended consequence of this ruling but I'll be damned if I don't support it. Tired of NCAA partisanship allowing certain schools to rampantly cheat in plain site while holding the guillotine over those they dislike.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Let’s say this went into effect now. Regarding football. Which athletes are gonna see the rewards here? Michael Pittman? Who else? I know basketball will be big also. But just football.

Lol. Uh no. Winning is the best exposure. This would continue the super team **** we’ve seen when the handful of programs like Bama, OSU, UGA, Clemson eventually adopt it.

Bags, play with other top recruits, continually play in the playoffs where you get even more exposure.

The best time to take advantage of this is now before the rest of CFB adopt it

OSU would benefit? Really? This is what OSU athletic director Gene Smith had to say about it. Sounds like a man who knows his goose is cooked. Ohio will not be able to compete with California for sponsorship $$$, and Gene Smith **** well knows it.

“If the California law goes into effect in ’23,” Smith said Tuesday, "...who’s going to play (California schools)? We’re certainly not. They won’t be members of the NCAA. I think that’s going to be the problem."

During a follow-up interview Wednesday, Smith addressed a question about whether the NCAA’s schools would take a position on California schools’ membership that would result in the association essentially walking away from the California economic market.

“I’m a single vote in that,” he said. “My guess is our membership would say yes because one of our principles is fair play, and even in the working group that I’m on, we’re focused on trying to make sure we deal with this in a fair-play way – as best as we can have a level playing field. We know it’s unlevel in a lot of ways, but this could make it unbelievably unlevel. So, my position would be, yes, and actually I would really be interested in how the Pac-12 (Conference) will handle those schools who are not in California that are members of the Pac-12. And how those schools will compete against those schools in California who have an unfair advantage because they’ll be able to offer student-athletes benefits that the other schools will not be able to offer. So, yeah, my position would be we walk…"

I don’t think this will level the playing field as much as people think. The bag game will still be a massive draw for kids looking for a double dip. Why not get $100k to sign and then $500k for your advertisement? We still can’t compete with the first part. We still don’t have the purchasing power. We have the exposure and the opportunity for someone once they start, but this won’t solve buying signatures unless I’m misunderstanding how this law will work

Advertisement
Back