It's Official: California to let college athletes make money, defying NCAA

At first I thought this would hurt Bama, but it won't. Those boosters at Alabama will simply buy 100,000 jerseys at a time and the players will be richly rewarded, legally. Forget the bag game, it will be all completely legal. Shady as ****, but legal. "The first 70K to enter the stadium gets a free Tua jersey!" Yeah, it's going to get ugly.

Advertisement
I don’t think this will level the playing field as much as people think. The bag game will still be a massive draw for kids looking for a double dip. Why not get $100k to sign and then $500k for your advertisement? We still can’t compete with the first part. We still don’t have the purchasing power. We have the exposure and the opportunity for someone once they start, but this won’t solve buying signatures unless I’m misunderstanding how this law will work

Because nobody in NYC, California, Texas, or any of the big media money parts of the country give a single **** about Alabama, Clemson, or any of these hick *** schools, and they know it. That's why they're so against it.

The same kid balling at Miami will make a lot more $$$ than that kid would make in Tuscaloosa. It's the same reason why all the basketball stars want to go to New York or the Lakers.

Believe me, the smart people in the SEC is crying this morning. They know.

If this goes into effect...... THE STATE OF FLORIDA will benefit the most !

There is no personal income tax in Florida.
Florida State Tax LAW: Florida does not have a state income tax.

Mostly the University Of Miami- High Marketing, Beautiful weather, Well known football school, Best training and facilities in the summer, Culture and I hate to say it ....The Women!

All will play a major factor for recruits and the parents. (Beside the women lol)

(This is a Game changer) have to wait and see...

Go Canes!

OSU would benefit? Really? This is what OSU athletic director Gene Smith had to say about it. Sounds like a man who knows his goose is cooked. Ohio will not be able to compete with California for sponsorship $$$, and Gene Smith **** well knows it.

“If the California law goes into effect in ’23,” Smith said Tuesday, "...who’s going to play (California schools)? We’re certainly not. They won’t be members of the NCAA. I think that’s going to be the problem."

During a follow-up interview Wednesday, Smith addressed a question about whether the NCAA’s schools would take a position on California schools’ membership that would result in the association essentially walking away from the California economic market.

“I’m a single vote in that,” he said. “My guess is our membership would say yes because one of our principles is fair play, and even in the working group that I’m on, we’re focused on trying to make sure we deal with this in a fair-play way – as best as we can have a level playing field. We know it’s unlevel in a lot of ways, but this could make it unbelievably unlevel. So, my position would be, yes, and actually I would really be interested in how the Pac-12 (Conference) will handle those schools who are not in California that are members of the Pac-12. And how those schools will compete against those schools in California who have an unfair advantage because they’ll be able to offer student-athletes benefits that the other schools will not be able to offer. So, yeah, my position would be we walk…"

He's not lying, it will be unfair to other schools, even in the same conference. It will get interesting, I believe the answer is everyone will have to adopt the same rules. NCAA doe.....dey mad. LOL

Advertisement
At first I thought this would hurt Bama, but it won't. Those boosters at Alabama will simply buy 100,000 jerseys at a time and the players will be richly rewarded, legally. Forget the bag game, it will be all completely legal. Shady as ****, but legal. "The first 70K to enter the stadium gets a free Tua jersey!" Yeah, it's going to get ugly.

Alabama is the poorest state in America. Half the state is nothing but trailer parks and klan rallies. They already pumping every dollar they got in to that program.

Big markets gonna clean up and that includes Miami

Let’s say this went into effect now. Regarding football. Which athletes are gonna see the rewards here? Michael Pittman? Who else? I know basketball will be big also. But just football.

Anyone. Literally anyone.

Lou Hedley bobble-head dolls. Jimmy Murphy "Rudy" T.V. ads for Gus Machado. You name it.

Advertisement
The Portal is about to explode...haa

2DD0A35800000578-3290722-Tyson_at_the_Trump_Plaza_hotel_in_Atlantic_City_in_1989-m-19_14458975...jpg

The only problem with paying players is policing it. Either every player should be paid the same or there needs to be some sort of "salary cap" that levels the playing field. The end of college athletics as we knew it is soon over.

Advertisement
This is the beginning of the end for Alabama, and all of the hick-*** schools that are currently on top.

They won't be able to compete.

Schools in big city markets are going to clean up
This is so dumb. A big city market doesn't mean automatic contract. You still need to prove yourself on the field to get national brands have you endorse them.

What this law IS going to allow is the following: local booster owns a business and the university promises a recruit a $250,000 contract with the business if they sign with them. It'll be the bag game but over the table now. And just like the bag game, the schools with the most boosters backing them with the most money will win the game.

Because nobody in NYC, California, Texas, or any of the big media money parts of the country give a single **** about Alabama, Clemson, or any of these hick *** schools, and they know it. That's why they're so against it.

The same kid balling at Miami will make a lot more $$$ than that kid would make in Tuscaloosa. It's the same reason why all the basketball stars want to go to New York or the Lakers.

Believe me, the smart people in the SEC is crying this morning. They know.
That isn't how college FOOTBALL works though.
See my post here: https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/can-the-ncaa-survive-this-california-bill.152079/post-4223702

The big markets are the SEC and Texas basically.

I love this and totally agree with the California law. The good old boy colleges will fight this tooth and nail because it negates their biggest advantage, alumni money. This law will mostly benefit the schools located in metropolitan cities, like USC, UCLA, Miami, etc. With this law in affect, Schools located in a large populous market offer a student athlete more opportunities to profit from their likeness via endorsements, signings, events and things of that nature. I don't see Florida passing a law like this anytime soon.

Advertisement
This could be good and bad for Miami. Miami is a frontrunners town. If we are winning, players should be able to capitalize. My fear is the admin, who also appeared to be uncomfortable the the football team (and its players!) Being the face of the school, will not actively seek opportunities for players.

For the Bag schools, this is just a legal way to further conceal payouts to kids. I expect top kids to have deals in place before they even sign their NLI. We could use a law like this to even the playing field, just not sure how UM will proceed with a policy like this. AND truthfully, I feel we will be on the wrong side of this.

This is so dumb. A big city market doesn't mean automatic contract. You still need to prove yourself on the field to get national brands have you endorse them.

What this law IS going to allow is the following: local booster owns a business and the university promises a recruit a $250,000 contract with the business if they sign with them. It'll be the bag game but over the table now. And just like the bag game, the schools with the most boosters backing them with the most money will win the game.

So why is the schools with the most boosters against this bill then? Dumb.

Advertisement
Back