It's gonna be Jarren

Great, but that's not based on anything but being a contrarian. Personally, I didn't make a prediction on what would happen. Don't have enough information to say if he'll be the starter or if he'll redshirt. I openly stated I only comment on the limited action I watched. In that action, I saw a much cleaner release (can anyone really argue this one?), cleaner feet (doesn't mean more explosive or quickness), and better balance. If people saw other practices or different things, would love to hear the breakdown.
It is not only based on being contrarian . It is based on 3 Qbs who are older and know the playbook and a Frosh who has good potential but may have to wait his turn.
Until I see some evidence to the contrary I will believe he will redshirt.

Advertisement
It is not only based on being contrarian . It is based on 3 Qbs who are older and know the playbook and a Frosh who has good potential but may have to wait his turn.
Your previous post - the one to which I responded - specifically said:

"It is threads like this that make me want to go the opposite way.
I expect Williams to redshirt now."

You hadn't yet offered the other premises to your conclusion. Fair enough.

If you haven't seen any evidence to the contrary, you're either not looking hard enough or don't know what to look for. Lack of experience is less likely to come into play for a QB like Jarren, who's much more advanced at his position than most as a freshman.
I'll go one step further - his physique. He's more ready physically to run this offense than most freshmen (including Kosi) would be.

I think CMR realizes this early schedule is winnable with a QB who can deliver the ball consistently to the right guys in the right spaces, even if he's doing it with a slimmed down playbook.

If, and it's a big if, Jarren continues to learn at the exponental rate he appears to have been, I can see CMR going with him if he feels the young man is the long term future.

I'd be fine with that, especially when we don't do the VT night game fiasco until Mid November and we get them coming off a bye, By then he will have had enough game experience to be as ready as he can be for that game

This.

If Jarren is only given six passing plays - but can put the ball in the hands of our highly skilled, very fast receivers - that's all that's needed.

Executing fewer plays with accuracy and finesse over a buttload of plays and hitting 50%. Or less.

Food for thought regarding the discussion:

The great Troy Aikman on Josh Allen: "I think as a quarterback when you're inaccurate, from my experience as a player in studying these guys for the last 17 years, you usually do not overcome that."

Advertisement
If you haven't seen any evidence to the contrary, you're either not looking hard enough or don't know what to look for. Lack of experience is less likely to come into play for a QB like Jarren, who's much more advanced at his position than most as a freshman.
I'll go one step further - his physique. He's more ready physically to run this offense than most freshmen (including Kosi) would be.
Even if he is ready to play I would say he is closer to be red- shirted than starting at this point.
That could change come August. I am not denying that.
What I am saying is currently I would not bet on it.

Which he will most likely.
R
Food for thought regarding the discussion:

The great Troy Aikman on Josh Allen: "I think as a quarterback when you're inaccurate, from my experience as a player in studying these guys for the last 17 years, you usually do not overcome that."
My only point is that a bad supporting cast can make a difference. It's a pretty strong reason why Elway had a career 57% completion rate. Idk how bad Wyoming is though

my guy... you watched any of the footballville vids from spring? how bout go to the spring game? His footwork, stance and release are all behind both rosier and perry. not even close.

Yall blind *** fans. Its funny when it comes from those admin or big time posters on here. Go on youtube and compare spring vids between the QBs... hes not there yet.

I personally think they shirt him.

I personally think you don't know d!ck about football.

Advertisement
I know a lot of you are hesitant. True freshman, Kosi last year, etc. The differences between him & Kosi - & any other true freshman QB I can remember us having- are the things I talked about in the first post. The best QBs can go through multiple reads quickly, correctly determine where to go according to coverage, & deliver the ball accurately with good pocket presence. He's the only one we have that can do those consistently. His athleticism & mobility add another dynamic.

The future of this program changed the day Jarren Williams committed.

Last edited:
I know a lot of you are hesitant. True freshman, Kosi last year, etc. The differences between him & Kosi - & any other true freshman QB I can remember - are the things I talked about in the first post. The best QBs can go through multiple reads quickly, correctly determine where to go according to coverage, & deliver the ball accurately with good pocket presence. He's the only one we have that can do those consistently. His athleticism & mobility add another dynamic.

The future of this program changed the day Jarren Williams committed.

That and Richt says his picking up the playbook quickly, unlike what we heard about Perry last year.

The combination of the kid’s accuracy, work ethic and physical traits got me excited

Advertisement
Kaaya never had any true hype. His recruiting star rose because Miami offered him. Only after the Canes kept calling, both USC and UCLA showed interest. Before UM, Kaaya wasn't on anyone's radar. That was a Jedd Fisch find—whereas Jarren Williams was a 4-star kid before the Canes nabbed him.
Get the facts straight, Kaaya was a 4 star all the way as well. He won the job as a freshman summer enrollee. Two different QB styles, but no need to bash Kaaya to elevate Williams.

That and Richt says his picking up the playbook quickly, unlike what we heard about Perry last year.

The combination of the kid’s accuracy, work ethic and physical traits got me excited
Let's see how it plays out. Maybe Perry elevates his game over the summer.

The competition will produce the QB we want and need regardless of who wins the job.

lol ok.

Callin it now, go though the film. They shirt him this year. See who knows football lol.

If they shirt him it'll be due to his mental not his physical. (which is what you eluded to)

He's already a more polished QB than the other 2.

Advertisement
If Williams and Rosier are neck and neck, this is great news. It means we have legit depth at QB. It means we won't have that Sherrifs type drop off between #1 and #2.

So we’re clear, Rosier barely held off Shirreffs for QB1. If Rosier is neck and neck with Two or more scholarship QBs, then we’re ****ed.

People ***** about Richts system & play calling but he got 30+ td’s out if Malik Rosier last year. If Williams can be a 60%+ passer night night college football world.

I think Richt's being very careful about how he speaks because he doesn't want Rosier to bolt.I do think Jarren is going to be the starter but I don't think Richt is very enthused by the play of Perry or Weldon where he confident enough to count on either of them if God forbid Jarren was to go down...

I just think he wants to make Rosier think he is still in position to be the starter until it's too late for him to leave.Sounds cruel but it's the way it is.

I think Richt's being very careful about how he speaks because he doesn't want Rosier to bolt.I do think Jarren is going to be the starter but I don't think Richt is very enthused by the play of Perry or Weldon where he confident enough to count on either of them if God forbid Jarren was to go down...

I just think he wants to make Rosier think he is still in position to be the starter until it's too late for him to leave.Sounds cruel but it's the way it is.
I agree that Richt is being very measured in his comments. At this point, he can't afford to have any of the QB's bolt - including Rosier. When the time comes to decide who the starting QB will be, he'll be decisive and run with it.

This.

If Jarren is only given six passing plays - but can put the ball in the hands of our highly skilled, very fast receivers - that's all that's needed.

Executing fewer plays with accuracy and finesse over a buttload of plays and hitting 50%. Or less.
It’s what he did with Rosier last year. Our passing game looked like it had training wheels on for half the season. Sadly, Rosier couldn’t hit passes consistently no matter how easy they were. If Richt can do that for Rosier, why not for a much more talented QB?

Advertisement
Back