It's gonna be Jarren

Advertisement
This is why college football keeps me up nights. Weldon buried on the depth chart leaves before fall. Rosier starts but gets yanked in the second half of the LSU game. Williams becomes the man and blows up. The kid from Oregon decides he doesn't want to sit for three years so he bolts to the Ducks. Perry obviously transfers after the season etc. What we really need to do is convince Weldon to stay and be the next Tom Brady a career backup who blew up in the pros. Of course I'm just adding a little humor but CMR knows what he's doing. I'm on the Williams team also and think he will be the guy.

I only go by what I watch. And, at this point, Jarren Williams appears to be the best passer on our current team. Whether that means he'll be the Day 1 starter this season or a starter at all, I don't think anyone has much of an idea. So many more factors go into the equation. But, let's repeat, when it comes to footwork, balance, release and consistency, I've seen Williams flash what others have not.

I feel better about QB going into this season than I did last, at least.
Your point is well taken, but I'd feel remiss if I did not mention that there is much more to being a great QB than just being a great passer. By many expert opinions, Ryan Leaf was the best pure passer in the 1998 NFL Draft. That said, Williams has, at least to this point, given the impression that he's going to work very hard perfecting his craft and becoming a well rounded player. I'm optimistic.

Kaaya never had any true hype. His recruiting star rose because Miami offered him. Only after the Canes kept calling, both USC and UCLA showed interest. Before UM, Kaaya wasn't on anyone's radar. That was a Jedd Fisch find—whereas Jarren Williams was a 4-star kid before the Canes nabbed him.
Miami was on Kaaya early but by the time he committed, he was a rated four stars and in the top ten at his position. But that's not my point. What I'm saying is that Kaaya didn't enroll early but was still able to get comfortable in the offense quickly. He was more of a finished product coming right out of high school. Whereas guys like N'Kosi Perry and Jack Allison show lots of raw talent but were nowhere near ready to play in an FBS offense coming out of high school.

Advertisement
I don't know how else to put it - I'm beyond thrilled with the reports & discussion about Jarren this spring. The more I listen to Richt talk about him, watch his film, & read practice reports, the more clear it becomes; Jarren is the QB that will take this team to the next level. Have you ever heard Richt praise Perry's accuracy, decision making & his going through progressions? Watch his interview from Saturday after the scrimmage, at about the 1:30 mark. He later implies Rosier isn't the undisputed starter.

I won't get into body language or verbal cues, but Richt knows he's got a stud. He's being careful with his words, so as not to put out or temper the fire Jarren apparently has lit under his ***, but he's got a good one & he knows it. The thing that's most apparent with Jarren is what he brings to the table mentally. You can sense the intelligence when he talks. When you watch his film, you see him go through his reads & sometimes go to his 3rd or 4th option - things we've never seen Malik (or Perry) do. He's got all the tools physically, but most importantly, he's accurate. Watch him consistently drill his targets, & look at his delivery

Some might say it's just practice video, but when you watch his games you see the same things. The arm strength & accuracy do become a factor when the QB is sharp & knows what he's doing. This isn't a "Greentree All-American". He's a smarter, more physically gifted version of what Malik would be if he was accurate. I don't know how some of you don't see it. It's becoming clear as day. Whether he starts vs. LSU or not, Jarren is the best quarterback on the team & will be the starter at some point this year. Forget about a redshirt. He looks physically ready & I expect him to grind the next few months & learn enough of the playbook to leave Richt no choice. No knock on Kosi; the tools are there, but he should be further along at this point. As long as Jarren can take a hit, I think we've got what we've been waiting for. This team, with an elite QB, is gonna be scary.

Jarren looks like a quarterback, perry looks like he plays sandlot.

LOL...and?
"
Like you gotta be there to get it right...you were there last year and got it wrong.
I gave an opinion. Now im giving you another one from having seen cade all throughout the spring. Hes regressed & significantly at that. Hes not a factor at all towards being a threat to start & hes fighting with dibiase for #4(im kidding on that 1 part). Point being ive tried to explain to yall in alot of instances dont take what youre being told as literally the gospel. Theres nuances in everything. Lastly cade didnt have a good day on saturday period thats why i asked you that. Wasnt trying to argue with you.

It does seem like Williams will be the QB at some point this year - maybe not for LSU, but I could see him getting the job at some point.

Our QB room definitely has better competition and quality now - and it should only get better with more classes.

Advertisement
Your point is well taken, but I'd feel remiss if I did not mention that there is much more to being a great QB than just being a great passer. By many expert opinions, Ryan Leaf was the best pure passer in the 1998 NFL Draft. That said, Williams has, at least to this point, given the impression that he's going to work very hard perfecting his craft and becoming a well rounded player. I'm optimistic.

Understood. Though I'd say Ryan Leaf was probably more to the raw tools side with a big arm and whacked out feet. Williams is really clean for such a youngster. I can't comment on his mental aspect, which is incredibly important to how I rate QBs, because I don't know enough about what he's being asked to do.

I don't know how else to put it - I'm beyond thrilled with the reports & discussion about Jarren this spring. The more I listen to Richt talk about him, watch his film, & read practice reports, the more clear it becomes; Jarren is the QB that will take this team to the next level. Have you ever heard Richt praise Perry's accuracy, decision making & his going through progressions? Watch his interview from Saturday after the scrimmage, at about the 1:30 mark. He later implies Rosier isn't the undisputed starter.

I won't get into body language or verbal cues, but Richt knows he's got a stud. He's being careful with his words, so as not to put out or temper the fire Jarren apparently has lit under his ***, but he's got a good one & he knows it. The thing that's most apparent with Jarren is what he brings to the table mentally. You can sense the intelligence when he talks. When you watch his film, you see him go through his reads & sometimes go to his 3rd or 4th option - things we've never seen Malik (or Perry) do. He's got all the tools physically, but most importantly, he's accurate. Watch him consistently drill his targets, & look at his delivery

Some might say it's just practice video, but when you watch his games you see the same things. The arm strength & accuracy do become a factor when the QB is sharp & knows what he's doing. This isn't a "Greentree All-American". He's a smarter, more physically gifted version of what Malik would be if he was accurate. I don't know how some of you don't see it. It's becoming clear as day. Whether he starts vs. LSU or not, Jarren is the best quarterback on the team & will be the starter at some point this year. Forget about a redshirt. He looks physically ready & I expect him to grind the next few months & learn enough of the playbook to leave Richt no choice. No knock on Kosi; the tools are there, but he should be further along at this point. As long as Jarren can take a hit, I think we've got what we've been waiting for. This team, with an elite QB, is gonna be scary.

It’s premature to declare who will start against LSU.
As of now Rosier is the starter. Last year Perry was choice of this forum. This year it appears that Williams is choice of forum. May turn out that majority of posters wrong both seasons.

It’s premature to declare who will start against LSU.
As of now Rosier is the starter. Last year Perry was choice of this forum. This year it appears that Williams is choice of forum. May turn out that majority of posters wrong both seasons.
There's a big difference physically between where N'Kosi was a year ago and where Jarren is today, and I think that was one of many reasons why N'Kosi didn't get the nod over Rosier. Jarren is maybe 20 pounds heavier and should be able to withstand hits better.

There's a big difference physically between where N'Kosi was a year ago and where Jarren is today, and I think that was one of many reasons why N'Kosi didn't get the nod over Rosier. Jarren is maybe 20 pounds heavier and should be able to withstand hits better.

I think it's closer to 25-30 lbs. Kosi said he gained 10 lbs from last year. Jarren came in at 106 and gained 15. Different body types all together, too. Each carries the weight differently.

Advertisement
I think it's closer to 25-30 lbs. Kosi said he gained 10 lbs from last year. Jarren came in at 106 and gained 15. Different body types all together, too. Each carries the weight differently.
Agreed. I meant I read Jarren came in at 205 this year and N'Kosi came in at 185 last year. The disparity is even greater now like you said.

I eluded to this when we signed Perry...and I got ripped to shreds on here...
Nothing about his tape showed me a polished QB. To me it looked like he was playing junkyard ball, just chuckin' the rock to WR's who were usually wide open.
I honestly thought Weldon's tape was more impressive.

QB is mainly mental IMO, it's not always about arm strength, mobility, etc. Can you get us lined up, make the proper checks, get us in the right protection, read a defense and make the right throws?
And can you do it all while there's live bullets flying at you?
I started out as a QB in high school. I could throw 60 yards in the air, 50 yards from my knees, 45+ yards behind my back (spiral, on target)...had plenty of arm talent...couldn't play QB to save my life. They moved me to LB within 2 weeks.

I think most people would agree that Ken Dorsey didn't have a very talented arm but he knew where to go with the football.
Look at Stephen Morris or Kyle Wright. Rocket for an arm. Terrible QB's.

I also think SYSTEM FIT is a huge thing with QB's.

I'm excited about Williams cause he's decisive and knows where the football is supposed to go on every play. He's efficient.

Advertisement
Stephen Morris was not a terrible QB.

Stephen Morris pulling league paychecks, even if it’s just as a practice QB because of his arm, means he’s somewhat slightly better than terrible. Terrible doesn’t get you on a practice squad making $120k for 4 months in addition to having been on actual rosters like at Indy.

Terrible means you’re selling shoes at Payless

I eluded to this when we signed Perry...and I got ripped to shreds on here...
Nothing about his tape showed me a polished QB. To me it looked like he was playing junkyard ball, just chuckin' the rock to WR's who were usually wide open.
I honestly thought Weldon's tape was more impressive.

QB is mainly mental IMO, it's not always about arm strength, mobility, etc. Can you get us lined up, make the proper checks, get us in the right protection, read a defense and make the right throws?
And can you do it all while there's live bullets flying at you?
I started out as a QB in high school. I could throw 60 yards in the air, 50 yards from my knees, 45+ yards behind my back (spiral, on target)...had plenty of arm talent...couldn't play QB to save my life. They moved me to LB within 2 weeks.

I think most people would agree that Ken Dorsey didn't have a very talented arm but he knew where to go with the football.
Look at Stephen Morris or Kyle Wright. Rocket for an arm. Terrible QB's.

I also think SYSTEM FIT is a huge thing with QB's.

I'm excited about Williams cause he's decisive and knows where the football is supposed to go on every play. He's efficient.
Your 2nd paragraph said it perfectly.
Who in CIS knows the answers to the questions you posed?..

I'm tellin ya...

I'm driving the Williams bus. Get on b!tches.
Coach, if you are Mark, do you do anything that causes Rosier to transfer out before the season? Keep in mind, 10 - 0 was the best start Mark has EVER had. We all want the QB that wins those last two games plus two more. I defend Rosier a lot but I doubt he beat Clemson. But does mArk, or you, run Rosier off without knowing any of the others can win the first 10 games next year?

Advertisement
Back