It's gonna be Jarren

Advertisement
Advertisement
Last year it was “N’Kosi da gawww”

Now he’s trash.

It’s Williams da gawww...or wait, is it Weldon da gawww?

Amazing how instead of taking Rick for his word, everyone knows exactly what’s going to happen.

There’s a competition that has yet to play out this summer. Sure anything that’s been said is possible.

But that’s just it. It’s one of several possibilities, the way I see it. Nothing is certain.

They’re all in play, and Williams could even redshirt. Rick hasn’t ruled it in or out.

But I wanna know nooooowwwwww!!!!!!!:-((((((((

It's still way too early to be making QB predictions but I will say that Jarren Williams is the first freshman QB I've seen here in a long time that actually looks like he knows what he's doing. Maybe the staff needs to go after more of these "finished product" types of recruits rather than the super raw "potential" guys we've been seeing here the last few years.

Although, that could always backfire like it did with Kaaya. He looked really solid as a freshman but never really developed much after that.
I would attribute that more to the coaching side of the spectrum as to why Kaaya never progressed from him freshman year

Hate to bring up criminoles for comparison but our situation, in a way, reminds me of FSU when Jamies Winston was a true Freshman. Winston got shirted as a frosh then came in the next year and we all know what happened. Manuel was in front of him and had much more buzz as a quality QB compared to Rosier but I was never impressed with what he did for them as a QB.

Manuel at FSU
*2011 Florida State ACC JR 203/311 65.3% 2,666 yds 18/8 td/int 151.2 pass rating team record 9-4
*2012 Florida State ACC SR 263/387 68.0% 3,397 yds 23/10 td/int 156.1 pass rating team record 12-2

Fairly pedestrian given the accuracy numbers. Very much a game manager imo. Solid yds/att but not astounding. Slight improvement year 1 to 2 with improved on field results to go with it

Compared to Rosier
2017 Miami (FL) ACC JR 224/415 54.0% 3120 yds 26/14 td/int 131.1 pass rating team record 10-3

Made big plays and got pts but couldnt sustain drives or convert crucial 3rd downs due to his inaccuracy. Also had some really poorly timed INTs, egregious errors.

And Winston's Numbers as a thought of what Williams/Weldon might be able to do for us if one of them takes Rosier's spot.
*2013 Florida State ACC FR 257/384 66.9% 4057 yds 40/10 td/int 184.8 pass rating team record 14-0
*2014 Florida State ACC SO 305/467 65.3% 3907 yds 25/18 td/int 145.5 pass rating team record 13-1

Unreal first season with a tremendous supporting cast. Came back to earth a bit in year two for a number of reasons not worth discussing.

Timely accuracy is the only thing separating Malik from being a good QB that is capable of leading this team to the playoff. If he completes the numerous bad throws to open wideouts that he missed last year, especially the third down throws, we would have gone 13-1. Our only loss being to Clemson.

The line separating an incredible season from the rollercoaster we went through last year is fairly thin. Something like 6-8 throws per game. In order to take the next step we need to find a way to get those 6-8 completions. Richt is going to give Rosier the chance to make those plays unless Williams/Weldon is the second coming of Tom Brady in fall practice.

For the record. I don't think Rosier's accuracy will improve much but Richt will start him. I am not convinced Richt will give Wiliams or Weldon the nod based on practice performance. Perry has no shot if he contineus to struggle with accuracy. Right now Perry's numbers show he is an even more streaky version of Rosier, capable of getting flame thrower hot and also going arctic cold. All coaches crave consistent QB play and Perry ain't it right now. I think Rosier will have to flame out in live action for Jarren to get his chance to prove he is the better QB. I'm hoping Williams/Weldon doesn't see the field this season other than mop up duties unless he somehow takes the starting role from Rosier in fall practice.

If Williams or Weldon start agaisnt LSU I will be surprised but excited, we could be in for an epic year if either of them practice well enough to take the spot outright .

If Rosier holds the job make no mistake about it he will be on a short leash because of his inaccuracy.

Advertisement
I never once thought Perry was "Da Gawd". I never saw a lot in Allison, either. I see something completely different in Williams, and if his poise, accuracy, work ethic, and maturity doesn't excite you, I just don't know what to say. He is the most complete QB we have had on our roster in years.

:stephenahand:

Last spring, Evan Shirreffs was the guy getting you all hot and bothered from his high school tape. Now, it's Williams.

Hopefully, this bandwagon turns out better than the last.

Last spring, Evan Shirreffs was the guy getting you all hot and bothered from his high school tape. Now, it's Williams.

And I was the only one on the board that said he'd be in front of Perry. Tell me how wrong I was there, pal.

I don't know how else to put it - I'm beyond thrilled with the reports & discussion about Jarren this spring. The more I listen to Richt talk about him, watch his film, & read practice reports, the more clear it becomes; Jarren is the QB that will take this team to the next level. Have you ever heard Richt praise Perry's accuracy, decision making & his going through progressions? Watch his interview from Saturday after the scrimmage, at about the 1:30 mark. He later implies Rosier isn't the undisputed starter.

I won't get into body language or verbal cues, but Richt knows he's got a stud. He's being careful with his words, so as not to put out or temper the fire Jarren apparently has lit under his ***, but he's got a good one & he knows it. The thing that's most apparent with Jarren is what he brings to the table mentally. You can sense the intelligence when he talks. When you watch his film, you see him go through his reads & sometimes go to his 3rd or 4th option - things we've never seen Malik (or Perry) do. He's got all the tools physically, but most importantly, he's accurate. Watch him consistently drill his targets, & look at his delivery

Some might say it's just practice video, but when you watch his games you see the same things. The arm strength & accuracy do become a factor when the QB is sharp & knows what he's doing. This isn't a "Greentree All-American". He's a smarter, more physically gifted version of what Malik would be if he was accurate. I don't know how some of you don't see it. It's becoming clear as day. Whether he starts vs. LSU or not, Jarren is the best quarterback on the team & will be the starter at some point this year. Forget about a redshirt. He looks physically ready & I expect him to grind the next few months & learn enough of the playbook to leave Richt no choice. No knock on Kosi; the tools are there, but he should be further along at this point. As long as Jarren can take a hit, I think we've got what we've been waiting for. This team, with an elite QB, is gonna be scary.

I'm no Qb expert, But I did play the game for a long time. Does anyone else notice how 6'3 Jarren throws the ball in the crotched position? I feel like that drops him to 6' and could see a ton of balls knocked down at the LOS. Unless this has already been fixed by Richt! Just something I noticed right away.

Advertisement
I never once thought Perry was "Da Gawd". I never saw a lot in Allison, either. I see something completely different in Williams, and if his poise, accuracy, work ethic, and maturity doesn't excite you, I just don't know what to say. He is the most complete QB we have had on our roster in years.
+1000

The buzz about Williams has nothing to do with thinking Perry is trash. Nobody thinks that. Perry has great skills and he is getting better everyday. I honestly think Perry is going to be a dynamite QB who will be very capable of leading this team after a bit more growth. Last year what we knew about Perry was limited to his HS tape and he was the only legit alternative to a limited Rosier. Given that situation it was only natural that fans were excited to see Perry eventually take over. Then Williams comes in early this year and gets everyone's attention with his maturity, accuracy and natural pocket presence to go along with an obviously high football IQ. People see something in Williams based on what he has shown not because he is the new guy.

Williams and Sherrifs are in two completely different categories in terms of talent and upside. Only comparison you can make is the hype insuing but that’s it..

Advertisement
It's still way too early to be making QB predictions but I will say that Jarren Williams is the first freshman QB I've seen here in a long time that actually looks like he knows what he's doing. Maybe the staff needs to go after more of these "finished product" types of recruits rather than the super raw "potential" guys we've been seeing here the last few years.

Although, that could always backfire like it did with Kaaya. He looked really solid as a freshman but never really developed much after that.

Kaaya never had any true hype. His recruiting star rose because Miami offered him. Only after the Canes kept calling, both USC and UCLA showed interest. Before UM, Kaaya wasn't on anyone's radar. That was a Jedd Fisch find—whereas Jarren Williams was a 4-star kid before the Canes nabbed him.

And I was the only one on the board that said he'd be in front of Perry. Tell me how wrong I was there, pal.

No...not really.

There were several of us that looked at Perry's odds of even being the number 2 very realistically, as he was a non-early enrolling freshmans. Feel free to pull up those posts.

Also, by season’s end, Perry was number 2, so....

If Richt was "giddy" in that video, I don't think it was just about Williams, all the QBs had a good day Saturday. Critical as I've been about Weldon, I think He threw His name in the hat with a real good performance.
Were u there saturday? Cause if you were youd no that answer on both fronts is nah.not really...

I only go by what I watch. And, at this point, Jarren Williams appears to be the best passer on our current team. Whether that means he'll be the Day 1 starter this season or a starter at all, I don't think anyone has much of an idea. So many more factors go into the equation. But, let's repeat, when it comes to footwork, balance, release and consistency, I've seen Williams flash what others have not.

I feel better about QB going into this season than I did last, at least.

Advertisement
Back