Issues with coach Mike Rumph

Never should of been on them in the 1st place. But most people overreact and are knee jerkers. Kool is literally the best at his job in the entire college game. If you were on him then you are a total idiot. Rumph is young to this game of coaching and has made a few mistakes but that is how you learn.

Advertisement
You can be disappointed but ultimately what matters is what happens on the field. If these guys put out a quality product on the field then non one can really say anything. If you miss out on recruits but the guys you do get become AA's or all conference then it's meaningless.

If you miss on guys and your on the field product is trash you should be destroyed to no end until it weather either or you're fired.

If bama signed a coach from high school and had the number one and two rated dbs would they get tbose players? He was brought to get those guys. Its a fail

If we close with at least 1 of 2 cbs and bethel? And Chatman, Nesta and Miller?
I’d say those deserve a little slack based on the class that will yield at dL and db.

I'd give both an A- based on missing out on 1 of their top targets for both. Based on my analysis of human nature I don't believe Campbell/Surtain were ever coming and no Briggs or being in the game for either of the two Missouri DT's. But I like Miller much better than Briggs. Surtain and Campbell just don't feel dedication to hometown.

If bama signed a coach from high school and had the number one and two rated dbs would they get tbose players? He was brought to get those guys. Its a fail

The guy is a former NFL DB, 1st round pick at the university tied to the greatest team in CFB history. He was also a great HS coach. He as hired for more than those two guys.

Advertisement
What's going on with the Campbell kid? I seen a lot of recruits talking about him on twitter...

The majority of people griping were more talking about the current Dl depth and the previous two classes. Not preparing for guys to leave as jr's , which is a very fair gripe. Now we'll be depending on Fr dt's , transfers and not much depth at de. To go with a pretty good roster everywhere else.

Depending on kids to play a grown man spot is bad news, especially with all the kids we'll be needing.

The staff deserves mad props for this dt class , just like they deserved to be ripped about the previous two classss. Some will rip the staff regardless , and then some will slurp the coaches no matter what. Both are equally annoying.

As for Rumph, I was waiting on this class before I rip him on him about his recruiting. Imo he doesn't deserve as much crap as he's gotten.

No, it was unfair to criticize Kul for not getting more DTs during the 2016-2017 recruiting season. What recruit would want to come to Miami knowing that 2 sophomores had locked down the spot for 1 to 2 more years, and they were being backed up by like 15 DTs. Remember at the time, Courtel was still on the team and eligible for another year, Willis, Bethel, Moten, and Martin were all on the team for another 1-3 years as well.

A case could easily be made that a 2017 kid wouldn't see the field till 2019, depending on who left early. And i'm sure plenty of opposing teams made that case against Miami for the elite DTs.

The standards that coaches are being held at Miami are ridiculous. Even the GAWD Saban himself, with all his 5 star recruits, got beat when he lost his starting LB corps for a game or two. Sometimes, s*** just happens and no matter what you do, you can't fully prepare for it.

So much bs.

There's schools with far more talent and depth on the dl than us and they keep right on adding.

We've could taken multiple jucos to somewhat make a quick fix. I mean it's been obvious for way over a year , me and Indy have been talking about this for awhile.

We knew we could possibly lose 3 dt and almost all the de's this class and wasn't adding to the numbers. There's a reason why we are taking bodies from Illinois , it's because of how the Dl recruiting has been handled. Notice I say Dl? It's not just dt.

The same guys said Kul needed help , then boom " we hire patke". He immediately has coburn visiting them Ojomo sneaking in visits . He'll probably land us Coburn.

Richt deserves credit for noticing Kul needed help with recruiting. He's just more of a teacher than a seller,if us dumb fans noticed i'm sure the staff did too. There's been an obvious issue.

I'll give them credit , even if they do mess something up they're really good about fixing it. But to think they didn't ***** up the Dl recruiting previous classes it just silly. Your head is just too far up the staffs butt.

Last edited:

Bama!? we haven't won the ACC or anything significant in 15 years and you're talking about Bama?

these kids were in diapers the last time Miami was relevant.

Last edited:
The majority of people griping were more talking about the current Dl depth and the previous two classes. Not preparing for guys to leave as jr's , which is a very fair gripe. Now we'll be depending on Fr dt's , transfers and not much depth at de. To go with a pretty good roster everywhere else.

Depending on kids to play a grown man spot is bad news, especially with all the kids we'll be needing.

The staff deserves mad props for this dt class , just like they deserved to be ripped about the previous two classss. Some will rip the staff regardless , and then some will slurp the coaches no matter what. Both are equally annoying.

As for Rumph, I was waiting on this class before I rip him on him about his recruiting. Imo he doesn't deserve as much crap as he's gotten.

No, it was unfair to criticize Kul for not getting more DTs during the 2016-2017 recruiting season. What recruit would want to come to Miami knowing that 2 sophomores had locked down the spot for 1 to 2 more years, and they were being backed up by like 15 DTs. Remember at the time, Courtel was still on the team and eligible for another year, Willis, Bethel, Moten, and Martin were all on the team for another 1-3 years as well.

A case could easily be made that a 2017 kid wouldn't see the field till 2019, depending on who left early. And i'm sure plenty of opposing teams made that case against Miami for the elite DTs.

The standards that coaches are being held at Miami are ridiculous. Even the GAWD Saban himself, with all his 5 star recruits, got beat when he lost his starting LB corps for a game or two. Sometimes, s*** just happens and no matter what you do, you can't fully prepare for it.

So much bs.

There's schools with far more talent and depth on the dl than us and they keep right on adding.

We've could taken multiple jucos to somewhat make a quick fix. I mean it's been obvious for way over a year , me and Indy have been talking about this for awhile.

We knew we could possibly lose 3 dt and almost all the de's this class and wasn't adding to the numbers. There's a reason why we are taking bodies from Illinois , it's because of how the Dl recruiting has been handled. Notice I say Dl? It's not just dt.

The same guys said Kul needed help , then boom " we hire patke". He immediately has coburn visiting them Ojomo sneaking in visits . He'll probably land us Coburn.

Richt deserves credit for noticing Kul needed help with recruiting. He's just more of a teacher than a seller,if us dumb fans noticed i'm sure the staff did too. There's been an obvious issue.

I'll give them credit , even if they do mess something up they're really good about fixing it. But to think they didn't ***** up the Dl recruiting previous classes it just silly. Your head is just too far up the staffs butt.

Nope. NO SCHOOL had a deeper DT rotaiton than we had BACK THEN. You're confusing yourself by thinking about this after the fact.

Go back in time to November of 2016. Back then we had two SO'S starting for us. We had Moten, Jenkins, Willis, Martin, and Bethel backing them up. None of them were seniors. No team in the country had a deeper DT rotation than we did. Kul had nothing to sell them when it came to playing time. And as it turned out, no DT that came in 2017 would have played this past year. Moten, Mcintosh, Norton, Bethel, were all we used, with DEs on passing downs. And this is all WITHOUT Courtel and Willis, who would have taken even more snaps away from any 2017 kid if they stayed on.

It's easy to turn around and judge the coaches after the fact. Anyone can Monday Morning quarterback. But doing this is patently stupid and ridiculous.

Advertisement
PEOPLE have killed Rumph and Kool but I’ve aleays said. Wait to you see who signs Wednesday before you pass judgment. criticizing them now is just dumb.

It's premature but not dumb, were people dump to criticize Golden in 2012 and 2013? Point being is this, especially at DT we looked to be struggling, this would be a major turn around, it awesome but acting like there was no cause for concern is dumb.

Patke has obviously picked up the recruiting, Kul is a great teacher but needed help with the selling.

Yup, believe [MENTION=12910]Brooklyndee[/MENTION] even told us Kul needed assistance with recruiting. Im hopeful he gets better because he certainly can coach them up.

BTW, now that we have actually have something to sell in terms of playing time, look at all the DTs we are in play for: Odenigbo, Nesta, Miller, Coburn, Chatman if he bulks up, then Daxon and Brown in 2019.

And all of those except Coburn are in play because of KUL not Patke.

And you keep referring to Odenigbo as a warm body, even though he graded HIGHER than Norton on the PFF and their stats are comparable. I think you're dangerously close to turning into a mope.

If we close with at least 1 of 2 cbs and bethel? And Chatman, Nesta and Miller?
I’d say those deserve a little slack based on the class that will yield at dL and db.

No, lets keep criticizing them.

Advertisement
PEOPLE have killed Rumph and Kool but I’ve aleays said. Wait to you see who signs Wednesday before you pass judgment. criticizing them now is just dumb.

It's premature but not dumb, were people dump to criticize Golden in 2012 and 2013? Point being is this, especially at DT we looked to be struggling, this would be a major turn around, it awesome but acting like there was no cause for concern is dumb.

That's his whole point. Crying prematurely IS dumb. We "looked" to be struggling but in reality, we were doing major work with Silvera, Coburn, Chatman, Briggs, Carson, Odenigbo, etc, and we pounced on Miller the second we saw his film. We lost some but we'll win some, and in the end, we'll have a perfectly fine DT depth chart and rotation of 7-8 kids. The premature outrage and whining from the negative nancies and mopes on here was a pathetic reflection of this s**** fan base. It's a miracle Richt and company can get anyone to come play here, let alone elite prospects.
People , complain, celebrate victories and gloat, we are on a college football site, what do you expect posters to do? There was serious reason for concern here, and now it appears that many who were concerned were in fact wrong but they had reason for concern. I brought up Golden, lets bring up Coker, there were many on the older sites that were also concerned about certain issues, they laid them out and were also laughed at for being mopes and nancies. In the end they were right and not being dumb at all because there were signs of concern there, just like there was with our DT recruiting. There are two possible endings here but commenting one way or the other is pretty much the point of this site, are we not supposed to have discourse on this site?

Umm no..if someone wanted to criticize kool or Miami for not getting DT's in the 2017 class then it would be totally legit. Having young starters is no excuse. Matter of fact that's some sissy talk flat out. Having 2 sophomore starters is no reason not to continue to stack talent plain and simple. You talk about bama, did you not just watch them not only recruit but have that same true frosh qb come in and win a gam while supplanting a kid who was young and played in the title game the year before?

Some of you really need to get rid of your loser like attitudes and ways. Your bring in the best talent available that year regardless of your roster. No real athlete will think as you do sorry boss

We clearly rolled the dice in a big way after 2 terrible years at those two spots.... so a year where we really shouldn't have been - and couldn't afford to be - rolling the dice. We're all feeling positive now, and recruiting is results oriented, so you can't be ticked if the gamble works. That said - all of the criticisms had and still have merit - if we really like Miller we should have signed him early, and we shouldn't have put our future at DT in the hopes of pulling a committed kid from Texas or a kid who committed to everyone he visited with. That's the approach you maybe took 2 years ago when Norton and McIntosh were frosh. It was the wrong approach in a year where we were almost certainly losing them with nothing behind them. That's an honest, accurate assessment.

Advertisement
Coburn coming I believe he blew off that visit to UT this weekend. If we get one of the DB's we fookin still if we get both and Coburn along with Nesta and Chatman. I'm going raw dawg I need to feel dat p*ss and I'm not pulling out

Amen... my girl went off the pill for 1 month so I've had to pull out all month. If we pull something like that I'm nutting balls deep. At least when my future hypothetical kid asks me where he came from I'll tell him he can thank the 2018 Miami hurricane recruiting class.

We clearly rolled the dice in a big way after 2 terrible years at those two spots.... so a year where we really shouldn't have been - and couldn't afford to be - rolling the dice. We're all feeling positive now, and recruiting is results oriented, so you can't be ticked if the gamble works. That said - all of the criticisms had and still have merit - if we really like Miller we should have signed him early, and we shouldn't have put our future at DT in the hopes of pulling a committed kid from Texas or a kid who committed to everyone he visited with. That's the approach you maybe took 2 years ago when Norton and McIntosh were frosh. It was the wrong approach in a year where we were almost certainly losing them with nothing behind them. That's an honest, accurate assessment.

So we shouldn't take Miller or be targeting Coburn or Chatman right? What exactly would you have done differently? And of course no mention of Nesta, because he's a beast and doesn't fit the doom and gloom narrative.

There's no need to "let up" on Rumph. He's our best position coach and the criticism he receives on here is completely unwarranted. Even if we don't land Campbell or PS2 he's done an amazing job this cycle and we are truly blessed to have him on staff.

Kool is another story. He has been a massive disappointment thus far and his DT recruiting is flat out pathetic. I broached the possibility of it being better for us if he went elsewhere last month and got eviscerated. He's well liked on here and that likely isn't going to change no matter what happens on Wednesday, but he's been living off his reputation the entirety of his stint here. Getting Chapman and Coburn would go a long way towards changing that.

Are you asking the roughly 10 - 15 retarded mfkers on this site that made up and kept spinning this narrative that Rumph and Kool can't recruit?
Can't recruit,way too simple to lay this on any coach.Academic standards,never mentioned on this
website until after the recruit commits to another school;i.e. Jobe.Parent/s are a big factor.Climate
North vs.Southern winter climate,big issue.Girlfriends,another issue.Small town vs.large city.
So what do all these factors have to do with a coach's ability to coach?

Advertisement
Back