Is Morris our best QB since Dorsey?

Advertisement
You're rating Jacory above Morris? Morris has a much better chance of making it in the NFL than Dorsey did.

Berlin
Jacory
Morris
Wright
Freeman

1) There really isn't a definitive criteria here

2) Jacory threw 70 TD passes at Miami and had a nice senior season until his final game. The kid deserves some credit, however much people may hate him.

in Games that both Morris and Jacory played in, Morris outperformed Jacory and it aint even close.

And Wright ahead of Jacory.

Wright over Jacory? Based on what exactly?
Physical skill set, stronger arm. Talk about a player getting screwed it was him. If you recall he had a pretty promising sophomore year.
2006 was just a fugged up year all around and the WR he had were average at best.
His SR Shannon screwed him royally and mess up his confidence. Once a QB doesn't have the backing of his HC he's done. Not to mention the musical chairs OC.
In contrast Jacory was given everything to succeed. 100% backing from his HC. Was in the QB rotation as a Freshman. Better WR's. When Shannon got fired he was lucky to have a HC like Golden and OC like Fisch that knew the value of a SR QB unlike Shannon that benched Wright as a SR in favor of Freeman. No doubt Wright would have thrived under a OC/QB coach like Fisch.

40.jpg

/The last 10 years of QB play has been disheartening.

Physical skill set, stronger arm. Talk about a player getting screwed it was him. If you recall he had a pretty promising sophomore year.
2006 was just a fugged up year all around and the WR he had were average at best.
His SR Shannon screwed him royally and mess up his confidence. Once a QB doesn't have the backing of his HC he's done. Not to mention the musical chairs OC.
In contrast Jacory was given everything to succeed. 100% backing from his HC. Was in the QB rotation as a Freshman. Better WR's. When Shannon got fired he was lucky to have a HC like Golden and OC like Fisch that knew the value of a SR QB unlike Shannon that benched Wright as a SR in favor of Freeman. No doubt Wright would have thrived under a OC/QB coach like Fisch.

Jacory- 8,826 yards (60.1%), 70 TDs, 48 INTs
Wright- 5,835 yards (59%), 38 TDs, 31 INTs

Wright didn't get screwed because his offensive coordinators got fired. He was the reason his offensive coordinators got fired.

Jacory was a better passer and a better quarterback. Period.

Advertisement

Wright didn't get screwed because his offensive coordinators got fired. He was the reason his offensive coordinators got fired.

different circumstances. Stats don't prove anything. And to say Wright is the reason why the OCs were fired is laughable. Can we then say Jacory is the reason why his HC was fired? I think I would side with the latter being more accurate.

Well dams, that about sums up the J12 era, I'm honestly disappointed, thought Harris was going to be the real deal.

I think his problem was he did not understand his skills were limited and he had an ego. Not every QB fully understands their weaknesses (his was arm strength) and realizes that they need to keep it within a 30 yard box. The ego part was he was a big macca in HS, state champ, TD king and Mr. Florida. Not ever QB wants to dink and dunk, throw slants and keep it within 30.

He could have done a lot better during his tenure, I understand he threw a ton of TDs but he also threw 50+ INTs and that is utter garbage.

He just never seemed prepared and he lost my respect with that half assed performance against ND in the bowl game. Morris was hurt and should have never played and almost brought us back.

different circumstances. Stats don't prove anything. And to say Wright is the reason why the OCs were fired is laughable. Can we then say Jacory is the reason why his HC was fired? I think I would side with the latter being more accurate.

I would put Harris in front of Wright, both had multiple OC during their tenure and I would argue Wright had better weapons at his disposal. What separates them in my mind is Wright being absolutely gun shy when the rush was coming. Kid was a deer in the head lights and was rattled. He lost his job to Kirby Freeman for christ sake, the same Kirby Freeman that went 2 for 18 against NCSt.

Harris at least hung in the pocket and I would say Whipple was partly to blame for his high INT total as he loved to sling it down the field with a QB that just didn't have the arm strength to make deep throws consistently.

By the way, Wright's physical skillset is completely overblown.

He had a "big arm" but couldn't hit a deep ball to save his life. He had speed but couldn't run for one yard against LSU. He had size but played like he was 5'10. The guy was just not a D-1 quarterback.

Jacory, on the other hand, showed the talent to be a good college football quarterback. It wasn't theoretical, he actually had huge games and big plays in big moments. The problem was he didn't do a great job handling the attention and pressure of being The Man, and he had an egomaniac OC that contributed to his decline.

Advertisement

He had a "big arm" but couldn't hit a deep ball to save his life. He had speed but couldn't run for one yard against LSU. He had size but played like he was 5'10. The guy was just not a D-1 quarterback.

Jacory, on the other hand, showed the talent to be a good college football quarterback. It wasn't theoretical, he actually had huge games and big plays in big moments. The problem was he didn't do a great job handling the attention and pressure of being The Man, and he had an egomaniac OC that contributed to his decline.

Whipple ball, 3rd and 20 let's go PA and sling it deep in max protect with only 1 WR out in the pattern.

agree with a lot of this analysis, but jacory lacked arm strength and "consistent judgment", both of which led to many INTs and loses. that is not to say he did not have big games and big throws, which he did.

agree with a lot of this analysis, but jacory lacked arm strength and "consistent judgment", both of which led to many INTs and loses. that is not to say he did not have big games and big throws, which he did.

he also had an offensive coordinator in whipple that set him up for failure. how many deep balls did he call that were underthrown because of harris' lack of arm strength? a lot of jacroy's interceptions came on 40-50 yard floaters because safeties were able to take a false step forward on play action, recover when they realized it was a pass, drop their pants to take a **** on the field, and still made it back to settle under the ball before it got there. he tried to turn jacory into roethlisberger. look what happened when fisch got there. he realized that jacory's strength was accuracy and timing on short-intermediate routes and he flourished under that offense.

Last edited:
We exaggerate the past so much... The only games I can recall Harris losing for us was OSU 2010 and UNC 09... For the most part the kid kept us in games... As of right now I'll take Harris... Morris completion rating is a bit low and his stats are accumulated against bad teams...

Any game that you throw at least 3 INT, you are at least part of the reason we lose.

2009 UNC: Lost by 9 points, Jacory 4 INTs and 2 INTs returned for TDs

2009 Clemson: Lost by 3 Points, Jacory 3 INTs

2010 OSU: Lost by 12, Jacory 4 INTs (2 in the redzone)

2010 ND: Lost by 16, Jacory 3 INTs on 7 attempts

2011 BC: Lost by 7, Jacory 4 INTs

18 Total INTs in these 3 losses, I understand not every INT is his fault but these INTs are the difference between wins and losses. INTs end drives, INTs limit offensive production and INTs give the other team more opportunities to score. Against UNC, 2 of the 4 INTs were returned for touchdowns.

All of this **** right here.

I always thought Jacory got way too much **** from the fans. (I think that about most players, but that's an entirely different conversation.) Despite his goofy nature, his sideline mopery, and his godawful penchant for lobbing jumpballs, I never could hate the kid. I hated the way he made me cringe every time we were in a tight spot, but never the kid.

That said, I don't think it's even close between Morris and Harris, already. Not once last year did Morris lose us a game. In a few, he straight balled out. If we're talking about the Sr. year Harris -BC, or the Jacory Harris that showed up against FSU in 2009, we've got a debate. But the rest of career here was a garbage fire. Consigliere is dead on. The kid lost us games. Several.

Morris may lose more games for us in the future, but to this point you can only really pin the Maryland '11 game on him. And his season last year was already better than Harris' best year. I don't even see how it's a debate at this point. If he bombs this year, then it's a talk we can have. But for now, Morris is way out in front.

Additionally, NFL performance or draft position has zero relevance. This is college.

Advertisement

he also had an offensive coordinator in whipple that set him up for failure. how many deep balls did he call that were underthrown because of harris' lack of arm strength? a lot of jacroy's interceptions came on 40-50 yard floaters because safeties were able to take a false step forward on play action, recover when they realized it was a pass, drop their pants to take a **** on the field, and still made it back to settle under the ball before it got there. he tried to turn jacory into roethlisberger. look what happened when fisch got there. he realized that jacory's strength was accuracy and timing on short-intermediate routes and he flourished under that offense.

Jacory never had to throw the deep ball. He choose to throw it, the playcalling may have been utter dog **** (not saying it was) but he could have checked down/thrown it away/scrambled etc. Even if Whipple said throw it deep, he could have been smart about it and thrown to an open guy and one not in double coverage. Not every INT was on Harris but some of his throws just reek of let's end the game now with a TD rather then smart passes.

It is not normal to be forced to heave the ball all the way down field, do you think the play was called JACORY THROW AN INT DEEP?

I don't think Whipple helped him, but Harris didn't help himself.

Last edited:
We exaggerate the past so much... The only games I can recall Harris losing for us was OSU 2010 and UNC 09... For the most part the kid kept us in games... As of right now I'll take Harris... Morris completion rating is a bit low and his stats are accumulated against bad teams...

Any game that you throw at least 3 INT, you are at least part of the reason we lose.

2009 UNC: Lost by 9 points, Jacory 4 INTs and 2 INTs returned for TDs

2009 Clemson: Lost by 3 Points, Jacory 3 INTs

2010 OSU: Lost by 12, Jacory 4 INTs (2 in the redzone)

2010 ND: Lost by 16, Jacory 3 INTs on 7 attempts

2011 BC: Lost by 7, Jacory 4 INTs

18 Total INTs in these 3 losses, I understand not every INT is his fault but these INTs are the difference between wins and losses. INTs end drives, INTs limit offensive production and INTs give the other team more opportunities to score. Against UNC, 2 of the 4 INTs were returned for touchdowns.

All of this **** right here.

I always thought Jacory got way too much **** from the fans. (I think that about most players, but that's an entirely different conversation.) Despite his goofy nature, his sideline mopery, and his godawful penchant for lobbing jumpballs, I never could hate the kid. I hated the way he made me cringe every time we were in a tight spot, but never the kid.

That said, I don't think it's even close between Morris and Harris, already. Not once last year did Morris lose us a game. In a few, he straight balled out. If we're talking about the Sr. year Harris -BC, or the Jacory Harris that showed up against FSU in 2009, we've got a debate. But the rest of career here was a garbage fire. Consigliere is dead on. The kid lost us games. Several.

Morris may lose more games for us in the future, but to this point you can only really pin the Maryland '11 game on him. And his season last year was already better than Harris' best year. I don't even see how it's a debate at this point. If he bombs this year, then it's a talk we can have. But for now, Morris is way out in front.

Additionally, NFL performance or draft position has zero relevance. This is college.

the only game i can say that morris played a heavy hand in losing last year was unc. he didn't get to play the last 8 minutes, but he was pretty awful that game. otherwise, and as someone who was very critical of morris, i have to say that he was fantastic last year.

Jacory never had to throw the deep ball. He choose to throw it, the playcalling may have been utter dog **** (not saying it was) but he could have checked down/thrown it away/scrambled etc. Even if Whipple said throw it deep, he could have been smart about it and thrown to an open guy and one not in double coverage. Not every INT was on Harris but some of his throws just reek of let's end the game now with a TD rather then smart passes.

It is not normal to be forced to heave the ball all the way down field, do you think the play was called JACORY THROW AN INT DEEP?

I don't think Whipple helped him, but Harris didn't help himself.

when you frequently call play action with a single wide receiver who runs a 30 yard post and jacory is your quarterback, then yes, that play could (and should) be called "jacory throw an int deep." i'm not absolving harris of all culpability because in those games his decision making was questionable at best, but at the same time, a coach needs to know what to call and what not to call based on personnel. whipple was as stubborn with his playcalling as jacory was with his decisions, which is why both are currently unemployed.

Advertisement
Uh, Earth to db305, Morris was far from fantastic against Bethune, K-State, Notre Dame, UNC, FSU, and UVA. That's half of the games we played in 2012.

Uh, Earth to db305, Morris was far from fantastic against Bethune, K-State, Notre Dame, UNC, FSU, and UVA. That's half of the games we played in 2012.

did you just copy-paste our losses and throw bethune on there for good measure? he didn't make us lose those games. i was responding to biscuits' statement that he didn't single-handedly lose a game for us. the entire team sucked against k-state, notre dame, fsu, and uva.

he was 17-25 with 3 TDs and no INTs against uva
19-26 with 0 and 0 against k-state
25-43 with 1 and 1 against fsu
18-35 with 0 and 0 against notre dame
20-35 with 1 and 1 against bethune

those are pedestrian games at best, but he didn't lose them.

the only one that he lost, in my view, was unc where he was 12-26 with no TDs and 2 INTs.

i said that he was fantastic last year, referring to the entire body of work. he was just shy of 60%, over 3300 yards, and had a 3-1 TD to INT ratio in his first season as a full time starter. considering his past decision-making and stats, he blew my expectations (along with a good amount of others') out of the water.

Last edited:
Earth to db305, I don't think I'm in agreement with you because if Morris was so fantastic then he would have played better against the better teams we played in 2012. I guess it depends on what your definition of fantastic is.

16 career starts.

Has thrown for over 300 yards just 4 times.

He's good, but he needs work. A new OC is usually not a great precursor for success.

Let's temper the expectations for the kid. The offense can be great without him needing to do all the work.

Advertisement
Back