Is Morris our best QB since Dorsey?

J12 could have done a lot for his legacy by not throwing those 4 INTs against BC. His time here was still a disappointment, but he put together a very nice senior season.

Dont kid yourselves when it comes to Stephen and jacory...

we all wondered what was the difference in JH his senior year?? was it Golden? Or Fisch..I would go with Lamar Miller he allowed JH some time and took games over just like Duke did for Stephen....

A healthy running game helps any QB....they both benefited form two great ones...Lamar should have played since day one...

Yet we ran the ball fewer than just about any team in the conference. Duke was explosive no doubt, but I don't believe we had 1 victory where we let the running game and OL win it.

Advertisement
From what I'm able to remember (I have CRS, it's a documented disease) we didn't have much success whenever we ran on 1st down. Fisch would usually pass on 2nd and long.

I heard grumblings back in the day when Kyle Wright was our QB, that he was a complete as*hole, on and off the field. I heard rumors about much of the team not respecting him, as well as him being a poor leader. I know he got sacked quite a bit, and quite frankly...it wouldn't shock me if that was done on purpose. Matter of fact, it almost seemed like our O-Line would almost ALLOW KW to get sacked sometimes.....

We have yet to beat a good team with Morris, and I'm betting he will be a typical no show vs UF and FSU next year, and will drop a load in his pants against two or three more ACC opponents (my guess: UNC, GT and VT)

He looked Like a D1 QB his sophomore year.
Difference between him and Jacory is that he did not have the coaching to maximize his potential through his SR year.
Jacory's career got saved with Golden/Fisch. Had Shannon stayed, Jacory was on course to having a disaster of end to his career here.

When did this myth begin that Kyle was anything special as a sophomore? He handed the ball off to Tyrone Moss, got sacked and stayed out of the way. That's it. He was garbage in the redzone, couldn't connect on the deep ball and never put the team on his back. By the end of the season, Wright had cost the team the ACC Championship against Georgia Tech and punked out against LSU.

Compare Jacory as a true sophomore to Wright as a redshirt sophomore:

Jacory- 59.6, 3,352 yards, 8.2 ypa, 24 TDs, 17 INTs
Kyle- 58.6%, 2,403 yards, 7.8 ypa, 18 TDs, 10 INTs

But, of course, Kyle is a victim. Two of years of grooming before getting thrown to the fire wasn't enough. Eric Winston, Kelly Jennings, Kenny Phillips, Devin Hester, Brandon Meriweather, Jon Beason and Greg Olsen weren't good enough teammates. Miami wasn't a good enough program.

I can't wait until the Shapiro trial is over and the last stain of the Kyle Wright era is gone forever.

Advertisement
D$,
Put me in the camp that says Kyle was a victim. The **** that Coker did was unconscienable as a Canes fan. When Kyle first got on campus, Coker told Kyle to sit tight and that he would be the starter in a couple years. THINK ABOUT THAT! What was his incentive to work hard? People love to run smack on Kyle Wright for not living up to the expectations that others set for him, and truth be told he was likely never going to be a great QB. He simply lacked the football mind necessary. That said, it was Coker that instilled the sense of entitlement in Kyle.

Here's another good one: When Kyle and Kirby were supposedly going to have their big competition for the starting spot, Coker called Kyle into his office and told him not to worry, the starting job was his. THINK ABOUT THAT TOO!!! (there's actually more to this story but I dont wanna thread jack too far)

Most people will never realize the level of ****ed-uppedness that was Lawrence Coker.

Good thread BTW.

To be fair we have been struggling with drops since 06... Even during Hankerson spectacular season he had a ton of drops I recall the analysts on the NFl network mentioning that was one of his flaws coming into the draft... I remember one of the analysts stating he had like 9 drops in his first 4 games... Drops hurt SM but it wasn't more than we haven't seen... SM will be good but he has a ways to go and hopefully we'll see it this year...

We exaggerate the past so much... The only games I can recall Harris losing for us was OSU 2010 and UNC 09... For the most part the kid kept us in games... As of right now I'll take Harris... Morris completion rating is a bit low and his stats are accumulated against bad teams...

Any game that you throw at least 3 INT, you are at least part of the reason we lose.

2009 UNC: Lost by 9 points, Jacory 4 INTs and 2 INTs returned for TDs

2009 Clemson: Lost by 3 Points, Jacory 3 INTs

2010 OSU: Lost by 12, Jacory 4 INTs (2 in the redzone)

2010 ND: Lost by 16, Jacory 3 INTs on 7 attempts

2011 BC: Lost by 7, Jacory 4 INTs

18 Total INTs in these 3 losses, I understand not every INT is his fault but these INTs are the difference between wins and losses. INTs end drives, INTs limit offensive production and INTs give the other team more opportunities to score. Against UNC, 2 of the 4 INTs were returned for touchdowns.

We were in the Clemson game because of him... Those picks were bad but they were also against one of the top defenses in the nation... He pretty much was matching the picks with the tds... He didn't lose that game ford and spiller killed us that game... Against OSU our wideout core had brain farts... Hank dropped a pass that turned into a pic, TB didn't run his slant route which new Whipple was big on the timing routes and then TB let the corner take the next ball out his hands... The Haywood disguise coverage play was on JH... He only had 1rz pic... ND beat the entire team and JH was awful... BC wasn't just on Jacory, they out coached and outplayed us... They actually adjusted after our first two series... Luke Kuechly was recognizing plays before they said hike... The defense stopped the run and took away the short passes by the time we went deep everyone new it was coming because we were behind... He threw like 3 pics in the last 8 minutes which was bad but that lost wasn't just on him... Fisch never adjusted which USF was able to do the week before except Harris was able to keep the chains moving and they didn't have Luke K at middle backer... UNC was so frustrating you can blame the lost on him for that but it was mind boggling the OC never opted to run the ball or throw shorter passes to the tightend... It was deep routes all day with rarely any dump off options...

As I stated he didn't lose that many games for us the pics hurt but were also in position to win games til the end... Pics do hurt you but if you're in position to win you can't say a said pic resulted in the lost... Against Clemson he through a pic 6 then came back the next play and hit like a 60 yard bomb to TB for the lead... I think they hit a field goal and went ot where settle for a fg after marching down to the 5 yard line... We had an opportunity to win but his pics wasn't our only issue...

He threw too many but I still don't think he was nearly as bad as our fans made him out to be... His career completion percentage, yards, and tds show he was one of our better qbs to come through the program... Was he elite? of course not... Was he bad? No... As of now I think he is a long distance 2nd behind Dorsey since 03 which isn't saying much...

Advertisement
We were in the Clemson game because of him... Those picks were bad but they were also against one of the top defenses in the nation...

I stopped right here, my post is clear as day. He threw 3 INTs on that lovely day. We could have beat them, we could benefited if those throws were not INTs. Not saying they are all on him but we would have benefited if we ran instead of thrown those 3 INTs.

Also, when you are the QB...you can lose a game all by yourself. IMO he did that some days.

Which QB had Lance Leggett as the best WR on the roster while he was here?????

What about the years where he had Olsen, Parrish, Sinorice along with a stud defense and an awesome special teams? KW gets no sympathy from me... He didn't take it serious until his senior year where he was battling injuries and he had no help at the time... But before that he had players to work with but took it for granted...

We were in the Clemson game because of him... Those picks were bad but they were also against one of the top defenses in the nation...

I stopped right here, my post is clear as day. He threw 3 INTs on that lovely day. We could have beat them, we could benefited if those throws were not INTs. Not saying they are all on him but we would have benefited if we ran instead of thrown those 3 INTs.

Also, when you are the QB...you can lose a game all by yourself. IMO he did that some days.

Well you probably should have read the entire post... Out of those 3 picks one was a halftime heave to the end zone and after a late pick he threw a 60 yard bomb for a td to TB to take the league... He had a few games that he lost... You mentioned 4, I mentioned 2... There are no benefits to throwing an interception but on that day against Clemson CJ Spiller and Jacoby Ford was the reason we lost... We had the lead until they hit a FGCU and in OT we marched down to their 5 yard only to settle for a pick... Once again he wasn't the main reason we lost games very rarely was that the case... His picks weren't the determining factor in the Clemson game... Of course not throwing them would have helped but we had the lead before going into overtime...

Advertisement
J12 could have done a lot for his legacy by not throwing those 4 INTs against BC. His time here was still a disappointment, but he put together a very nice senior season.

J's legacy is hopping off the bus in O$U in a red sweater vest and khakis and then tossing picks lefts and right. He taunted and they ate him up.

What about the years where he had Olsen, Parrish, Sinorice along with a stud defense and an awesome special teams? KW gets no sympathy from me... He didn't take it serious until his senior year where he was battling injuries and he had no help at the time... But before that he had players to work with but took it for granted...

Read post #106 in this thread and you'll understand WHY Kyle took nothing serious until his senior year (when Randy became his head coach). Im not absolving anyone, simply adding some back channel info that most dont realize when formulating their opinions.

Read post #106 in this thread and you'll understand WHY Kyle took nothing serious until his senior year (when Randy became his head coach). Im not absolving anyone, simply adding some back channel info that most dont realize when formulating their opinions.

Yea I understand and that contributed to his failures... However the initial argument of another poster saying he was better than JH isn't true due to the numbers... No matter how much he was pampered, his failures were on him...

I don't want to get away from the post because I'm close to doing so... I do believe if Morris post similar numbers to last year you'll have to say he is 2nd to KD this decade... If we win as well we'll have to mention him among the elite qbs at this university...

Advertisement

Well you probably should have read the entire post... Out of those 3 picks one was a halftime heave to the end zone and after a late pick he threw a 60 yard bomb for a td to TB to take the league... He had a few games that he lost... You mentioned 4, I mentioned 2... There are no benefits to throwing an interception but on that day against Clemson CJ Spiller and Jacoby Ford was the reason we lost... We had the lead until they hit a FGCU and in OT we marched down to their 5 yard only to settle for a pick... Once again he wasn't the main reason we lost games very rarely was that the case... His picks weren't the determining factor in the Clemson game... Of course not throwing them would have helped but we had the lead before going into overtime...

I found it interesting you forgot to mention the INT he threw to McDaniel which went for 6 the other way. That play does NOT happen maybe we win. We were up 27 to 24 before that pass and that play gave them points.

Like i said they are all not on him but Clemson was a cack sucking performance for Jacory. Another 3 INT for the king.

Please stop.

Last edited:
The only thing that holds this offense back is the unknown abilities of the OC.

We are better overall, our players are older, stronger and more mature. We may have lost Mike James but I am sure between Crawford, Dillard and Edwards etc. they can make up that production. THE ENTIRE OL IS RETURNING. Oh and we have the Duke of Coral Gables.

The toughest defense will be UF and FSU (5th and 6th last season) both lost a ton of starters.

Last season Miami finished 49th in scoring offense at 31.42 PPG, there is no reason we can't average at least 5 more points per game. If our WR/TE decide to catch the ball, we put up a ton more points last season.

This is a subtle, yet great post.

The only thing that holds this offense back is the unknown abilities of the OC.

We are better overall, our players are older, stronger and more mature. We may have lost Mike James but I am sure between Crawford, Dillard and Edwards etc. they can make up that production. THE ENTIRE OL IS RETURNING. Oh and we have the Duke of Coral Gables.

The toughest defense will be UF and FSU (5th and 6th last season) both lost a ton of starters.

Last season Miami finished 49th in scoring offense at 31.42 PPG, there is no reason we can't average at least 5 more points per game. If our WR/TE decide to catch the ball, we put up a ton more points last season.

This is a subtle, yet great post.

I am expecting about 3-5 more points per game from the offense. I expect some early struggles but around game 5 things will be clicking.

I also expect the D to give up 5 points less per game. If Porter stays healthy, things look much better in the middle.

Thoughts?

Wright never played with Parrish as a Starter and only had Moss and Olsen for his RS Sophomore year which coincidentally was his best year of his career. Just sayin.

Advertisement
Back