Is Morris our best QB since Dorsey?

Canesfan1899

All-American
Premium
Kid has NFL arm strength and really improved his TD:int ratio last season. He's athletic and seems to have the moxy and leadership skills you want in a QB. Thinking back the only QB since the Dorsey days I would rate equal or better would be Brock Berlin, but he really struggled as a junior and arguably did less with more. I can't think of a QB with better arm strength and Morris seems to be developing some touch on the short and intermediate throws.

I feel like had our defense not been the worst in school history, we would have won 10 games last season and Morris could actually be getting some more national buzz. If things go accroding to plan this year we are looking at a 10 win team at least, and an offense that should be explosive and thrive on the big play. If not for sharing the backfield with Duke, Morris could get some Heisman love with some big performances early in the season, especially against Florida.

Advertisement
While I don't think that is saying much, Berlin had a record of 5-0 against FSU and UF.

As a prospect, yes and it isn't close.

While I don't think that is saying much, Berlin had a record of 5-0 against FSU and UF.

But what do you think Morris could hve done with the talent on Berlin's teams? Agree he is by far our best NFL prospect in decades.

I would take Morris over Berlin. Berlin was only effective in one formation and was surrounded by a superior team to what Morris has. If you gave Morris Greg Olsen, Roscoe Parrish and the post-Dorsey defense, it wouldn't even be a conversation.

Advertisement

But what do you think Morris could hve done with the talent on Berlin's teams? Agree he is by far our best NFL prospect in decades.

I don't know, I am not a big fan of hypothetical football experiments (i.e. put this guy on that team). I think Morris's ceiling is much higher, I know he loves the fastball but I wish some of his players helped him out more (Scott, Dorsett and Walford).

As a QB, I would take Morris over anyone we have had since.....Dorsey

What do you think Dorsey or Berlin would do with the talent on the current team?

Duke in the backfield. Massive line in front of them (awesome at pass protection), and a **** nice TE/WR group. Add in the new score as much and as fast as we can mentality. Everyone is a returning starter.

The surrounding cast isn't as good as it was for Dorsey, but who surrounded Berlin?

Brock Berlin played with a talent loaded team and a top 5 Defense.

5 - 0 vs UF & FSU doesn't say much about his QB skills

I think allot of times Brock had to be bailed out by other players on the team. Morris actually bails out the our defense almost every game.

Advertisement
But it's well known that the goal last season was to outscore the other teams. No clock management. As many points as possible.

I would put Morris ahead of Jacory right now, maybe a tie with Berlin. But ain't nobody had the ice water in the veins like Dorsey did.

But I do hope I get to rethink this at the end of the season.

The only thing that holds this offense back is the unknown abilities of the OC.

We are better overall, our players are older, stronger and more mature. We may have lost Mike James but I am sure between Crawford, Dillard and Edwards etc. they can make up that production. THE ENTIRE OL IS RETURNING. Oh and we have the Duke of Coral Gables.

The toughest defense will be UF and FSU (5th and 6th last season) both lost a ton of starters.

Last season Miami finished 49th in scoring offense at 31.42 PPG, there is no reason we can't average at least 5 more points per game. If our WR/TE decide to catch the ball, we put up a ton more points last season.

Advertisement
I would take Morris over Berlin. Berlin was only effective in one formation and was surrounded by a superior team to what Morris has. If you gave Morris Greg Olsen, Roscoe Parrish and the post-Dorsey defense, it wouldn't even be a conversation.

My thoughts as well. Hopefully we see Morris add the touch needed on short throws this season and continue to improve his ability to read defenses. Agree this offense is very talented, I'm just curious what we look like with even an average defense, not the atrocity we put out there last season.

As an NFL prospect he will be our highest QB drafted since Testaverde...

Since Testaverde:

Walsh was a supplemental pick
Erickson was 5th round
Torretta was 7th round
Covington was 7th round
Dorsey was 7th round
Berlin was undrafted
Wright was undrafted
Harris was undrafted

Advertisement
You number whores...Jacory is the man...

SM could be special....EJ at FSU could not beat Florida but him and Ponder are 1st round pics in the NFL...something we have not had since the 80s from the QB position...

SM hopefully changes that and makes the Back ups that much better...

Here's a comparison between Berlin's college career and Morris.

Berlin: 2003: 59.9% 2419 yds 12 tds 17 ints
Berlin: 2004: 56% 2680 yds 22 tds 6 ints.

Morris: 2012: 58.2% 3345 yds 21 tds 7 ints.

Morris clearly had the far superior Jr. season and I would say his Jr. year was better than what Berlin did as a senior. I understand Berlin wasn't asked to throw nearly as much because we had a much better running game but Morris was productive and only 1 more Int in his Jr. year as Berlin did as a sr, and threw the ball a lot more.

Advertisement
Back