Is Morris our best QB since Dorsey?

He looked Like a D1 QB his sophomore year.
Difference between him and Jacory is that he did not have the coaching to maximize his potential through his SR year.
Jacory's career got saved with Golden/Fisch. Had Shannon stayed, Jacory was on course to having a disaster of end to his career here.

When did this myth begin that Kyle was anything special as a sophomore? He handed the ball off to Tyrone Moss, got sacked and stayed out of the way. That's it. He was garbage in the redzone, couldn't connect on the deep ball and never put the team on his back. By the end of the season, Wright had cost the team the ACC Championship against Georgia Tech and punked out against LSU.

Compare Jacory as a true sophomore to Wright as a redshirt sophomore:

Jacory- 59.6, 3,352 yards, 8.2 ypa, 24 TDs, 17 INTs
Kyle- 58.6%, 2,403 yards, 7.8 ypa, 18 TDs, 10 INTs

But, of course, Kyle is a victim. Two of years of grooming before getting thrown to the fire wasn't enough. Eric Winston, Kelly Jennings, Kenny Phillips, Devin Hester, Brandon Meriweather, Jon Beason and Greg Olsen weren't good enough teammates. Miami wasn't a good enough program.

I can't wait until the Shapiro trial is over and the last stain of the Kyle Wright era is gone forever.

Sad, but Lee Corso said it best seconds before that FSU game. "If Kyle Wright was any good, he would have started over Brock Berlin"

Remeber that fraud, after redshirting a year, couldn't even handle a snap?

Advertisement
We were in the Clemson game because of him... Those picks were bad but they were also against one of the top defenses in the nation...

I stopped right here, my post is clear as day. He threw 3 INTs on that lovely day. We could have beat them, we could benefited if those throws were not INTs. Not saying they are all on him but we would have benefited if we ran instead of thrown those 3 INTs.

Also, when you are the QB...you can lose a game all by yourself. IMO he did that some days.

Well you probably should have read the entire post... Out of those 3 picks one was a halftime heave to the end zone and after a late pick he threw a 60 yard bomb for a td to TB to take the league... He had a few games that he lost... You mentioned 4, I mentioned 2... There are no benefits to throwing an interception but on that day against Clemson CJ Spiller and Jacoby Ford was the reason we lost... We had the lead until they hit a FGCU and in OT we marched down to their 5 yard only to settle for a pick... Once again he wasn't the main reason we lost games very rarely was that the case... His picks weren't the determining factor in the Clemson game... Of course not throwing them would have helped but we had the lead before going into overtime...

I found it interesting you forgot to mention the INT he threw to McDaniel which went for 6 the other way. That play does NOT happen maybe we win. We were up 27 to 24 before that pass and that play gave them points.

Like i said they are all not on him but Clemson was a cack sucking performance for Jacory. Another 3 INT for the king.

Please stop.

I did mention the pick 6... Literally, the next play he threw a deep bomb pass to TB for td... We then took the lead... Come on man... That was the biggest emotional roller coaster I ever experienced... Despite the pics... We still had the lead and would have won if we had an answer for ford and spiller...

Which QB had Lance Leggett as the best WR on the roster while he was here?????

What about the years where he had Olsen, Parrish, Sinorice along with a stud defense and an awesome special teams? KW gets no sympathy from me... He didn't take it serious until his senior year where he was battling injuries and he had no help at the time... But before that he had players to work with but took it for granted...

Wright never played with Parrish as a Starter and only had Moss and Olsen for his RS Sophomore year which coincidentally was his best year of his career. Just sayin.

And his best year was still quite mediocre... Wright wasn't better than Harris man... He had an all pro tightend and a productive college wideout with a stellar defense and awesome special teams yet he was still mediocre... We can't defend him, his stats were bad, his performances were bad and his demeanor was horrible until his senior year but it was too late...

We were in the Clemson game because of him... Those picks were bad but they were also against one of the top defenses in the nation...

I stopped right here, my post is clear as day. He threw 3 INTs on that lovely day. We could have beat them, we could benefited if those throws were not INTs. Not saying they are all on him but we would have benefited if we ran instead of thrown those 3 INTs.

Also, when you are the QB...you can lose a game all by yourself. IMO he did that some days.

Well you probably should have read the entire post... Out of those 3 picks one was a halftime heave to the end zone and after a late pick he threw a 60 yard bomb for a td to TB to take the league... He had a few games that he lost... You mentioned 4, I mentioned 2... There are no benefits to throwing an interception but on that day against Clemson CJ Spiller and Jacoby Ford was the reason we lost... We had the lead until they hit a FGCU and in OT we marched down to their 5 yard only to settle for a pick... Once again he wasn't the main reason we lost games very rarely was that the case... His picks weren't the determining factor in the Clemson game... Of course not throwing them would have helped but we had the lead before going into overtime...

I found it interesting you forgot to mention the INT he threw to McDaniel which went for 6 the other way. That play does NOT happen maybe we win. We were up 27 to 24 before that pass and that play gave them points.

Like i said they are all not on him but Clemson was a cack sucking performance for Jacory. Another 3 INT for the king.

Please stop.

I did mention the pick 6... Literally, the next play he threw a deep bomb pass to TB for td... We then took the lead... Come on man... That was the biggest emotional roller coaster I ever experienced... Despite the pics... We still had the lead and would have won if we had an answer for ford and spiller...

It wasnt late and it was on him. Reading you post was difficult due to incomplete thoughts. We lost the lead on that play, Jacory sucked and you and I saw different games.

Sure we could have avoided Spiller but Jacory gave them 6.

Agree to disagree.

What about the years where he had Olsen, Parrish, Sinorice along with a stud defense and an awesome special teams? KW gets no sympathy from me... He didn't take it serious until his senior year where he was battling injuries and he had no help at the time... But before that he had players to work with but took it for granted...

Wright never played with Parrish as a Starter and only had Moss and Olsen for his RS Sophomore year which coincidentally was his best year of his career. Just sayin.

And his best year was still quite mediocre... Wright wasn't better than Harris man... He had an all pro tightend and a productive college wideout with a stellar defense and awesome special teams yet he was still mediocre... We can't defend him, his stats were bad, his performances were bad and his demeanor was horrible until his senior year but it was too late...

Medicore for a 1st year starter? You trippin dude was Honorable mention ALL ACC.
He lost everyone after that year and OL was crap.

Advertisement
Returning his whole OL & all his receivers except Davon Johnson who made key catches & rarely dropped the ball is a huge plus. He also adds a much improved Waters with dynamic receivers Coley & Griffin (maybe). Running game will be a worse however. Also a new OC will take time for change but Coley seems to be doing a good job with Qbs & maintaining lingo. Wait & see

Berlin was horrible in one of the UF games if I remember correctly. At least 3 turnovers. You can't say he was the reason the U was 5-0 against UF and F$U. Two first round draft picks as linebackers, one of the best safety's to ever play college and pro (RIP Sean Taylor), Hester (97 yd punt return TD), Frank the BEAST Gore, Roscoe...the list goes on and on. I know I missed a few. We'll have to wait and see how the 2012/2013 roster turns out in the end. But I guarantee we don't have the talent now that Berlin had then. Berlin was good but not as good as he should have been.

Berlin was horrible in one of the UF games if I remember correctly. At least 3 turnovers. You can't say he was the reason the U was 5-0 against UF and F$U. Two first round draft picks as linebackers, one of the best safety's to ever play college and pro (RIP Sean Taylor), Hester (97 yd punt return TD), Frank the BEAST Gore, Roscoe...the list goes on and on. I know I missed a few. We'll have to wait and see how the 2012/2013 roster turns out in the end. But I guarantee we don't have the talent now that Berlin had then. Berlin was good but not as good as he should have been.

Berlin was awful as a junior, but had a very good senior season. They ran the ball a lot more when he was here and he wasn't asked to do as much as Morris was last year. This year should solidify Morris's legacy as I believe he will have us in contention in the ACC and in the running for a BCS bid.

Advertisement

Please stop.

It wasnt late and it was on him. Reading you post was difficult due to incomplete thoughts. We lost the lead on that play, Jacory sucked and you and I saw different games.

Sure we could have avoided Spiller but Jacory gave them 6.

Agree to disagree.

There was nothing wrong with my post... When I mentioned a late pick I was referring to the time remaining in the game but the interception actually occurred early in the 4th qt that being said the very next play Harris throws a 69 yard td to take the lead... You just don't know what you're talking about... Yes he threw a pick 6, we lost the lead then he comes back after the kickoff and throws a 69 yard td to put us up by 3... He didn't lose that game... That being said, his stats speaks for him... A qb who sucks doesn't trow for that many yards, tds and have a completion percentage that high... However a great qb doesn't throw that many picks... He didn't suck... He was a pretty decent qb... We have had worse from 96 til now and he wasnt the worst qb...

Medicore for a 1st year starter? You trippin dude was Honorable mention ALL ACC.
He lost everyone after that year and OL was crap.

Haha I'm not tripping that first year starter had a good defense and an awesome special teams... He was also a junior(rs-sophomore whatever)... Wright was just a prospect who peaked in high school...

As an NFL prospect he will be our highest QB drafted since Testaverde...

Since Testaverde:

Walsh was a supplemental pick
Erickson was 5th round
Torretta was 7th round
Covington was 7th round
Dorsey was 7th round
Berlin was undrafted
Wright was undrafted
Harris was undrafted

Steve Walsh was paid for with a first round pick in the supplemental draft.

are you sure about that? I thought Toretta went higher than that.

also amazing our best quarterbacks really were not that great as far as natural talent but they could ball. who would you take - EJ Freaking Manuel or Steve Walsh who came one point away from winning 2 straight national championships and 24 straight games?!

Since Testaverde:

Erickson was 5th round
Torretta was 7th round
Covington was 7th round
Dorsey was 7th round
Berlin was undrafted
Wright was undrafted
Harris was undrafted

Advertisement
are you sure about that? I thought Toretta went higher than that.

also amazing our best quarterbacks really were not that great as far as natural talent but they could ball. who would you take - EJ Freaking Manuel or Steve Walsh who came one point away from winning 2 straight national championships and 24 straight games?!

Since Testaverde:

Erickson was 5th round
Torretta was 7th round
Covington was 7th round
Dorsey was 7th round
Berlin was undrafted
Wright was undrafted
Harris was undrafted

Our best QB's knew how to distribute the ball on time and to let the WR's make plays after the catch. When Morris develops touch on the intermediate throws I think you'll see our WR's drop fewer passes and become a lot more dangerous after the catch.

There was nothing wrong with my post... When I mentioned a late pick I was referring to the time remaining in the game but the interception actually occurred early in the 4th qt that being said the very next play Harris throws a 69 yard td to take the lead... You just don't know what you're talking about... Yes he threw a pick 6, we lost the lead then he comes back after the kickoff and throws a 69 yard td to put us up by 3... He didn't lose that game... That being said, his stats speaks for him... A qb who sucks doesn't trow for that many yards, tds and have a completion percentage that high... However a great qb doesn't throw that many picks... He didn't suck... He was a pretty decent qb... We have had worse from 96 til now and he wasnt the worst qb...

Again we saw a different game that day. I saw a guy make bad plays, I heard a guy say the following "We let Clemson outwork us, we turned the ball over too much—little things that made us get to this point.”

Jacory sucked that day, he allowed 3 INT. Sure Spiller had a field day but we also had some defensive TD to help us out (Marcus Robinson 56 Yard fumble return). 3 INTs is defined as pretty bad for any QB in one game. Sure 17-27, 256 Yards and 2 TD is very good BUT the 3 INT takes that away, plus one was returned for 6.

So agree to disagree.

Jacory was decent but he lost games IMO, I am not much of a fan.

I'd take Berlin's senior season and at this moment, Jacory Harris over Morris, but with a good season, Morris could jump Jacory and with a great season (with wins over UF and FSU), jump Berlin. He's already a better pro prospect than both, but that isn't saying much anyway. Neither had a pro skill set, body, etc.

Either way, saying someone is the best QB since Dorsey isn't exactly a compliment or saying much considering who we've had over the past decade+.

As for this season...I'm curious as to how he'll play. He was very inconsistent and had flaws to his game last year (sure, he had a ton of drops, but a ton of poorly thrown balls, too). I'm curious how he'll improve. Most QBs see their biggest jump in their third year in a program...the fourth year doesn't often see a significant pop (yes, there are outliers). The new OC brings in new questions, too. I know Coley wasn't the play caller, but if he's influenced by FSU's offense last year, it was all short stuff and the deep stuff came off of PA. Morris struggled with the short stuff last year, but he looked better in the spring with it (take that with a grain of salt). I like the excitement from the fanbase, but I think people forget that his best stretch (the final four games) were against our weakest competition.

I have no doubt he'll have a big September. UF will be a big game in that stretch (and will tell you more about Morris than any game on the schedule sans FSU), but FAU, Savannah State, and USF are cupcakes and I am sure he'll put up big numbers against them. Once we get to mid-October, we'll see if Morris AND this team are real deal or just pre-season hype.

Advertisement
Either way, saying someone is the best QB since Dorsey isn't exactly a compliment or saying much considering who we've had over the past decade+.

Correct.

You would take Harris over Morris if given the choice?

Through Morris' junior year...yes. But, Morris has a full year to put together a better resume and it shouldn't be hard to surpass Jacory. He needs to win games that matter though. Jacory at least had wins over ranked teams (#18 FSU #14 and #22 GaTech, #8 Oklahoma, #17 Ohio State). Morris doesn't have any yet...perhaps his signature win comes at an eventual 7-6 NC State team (was 3-1 at the time with no significant wins) that ended up firing their coach. Statistically, both are flawed to this point. Obviously, Morris has a better pro skillset.

People tend to forget, Jacory was having a very good senior year before that BC game. 19 TD, 5 INT, Rating in the mid-150's, very high completion percentage, went 6-4 (If Jacory plays in the Maryland game, we would have won that one, too). Then he ran into an eventual Pro Football Hall of Fame linebacker in the final game and it was, what it was.

Last edited:
Larry,

I would take Junior Morris over Harris, sure Harris had great games but I would be vomiting at the chance of multiple interceptions, lack of arm strength and no feel for the game (slow to the line during 2 min drill).

I am not a fan.

..... naw Jacory, Kyle Wright, and KirbyFreeman set the bar to high. -_-

Honestly though Morris can be better then Dorsey... he just has to lead UM to victories over FSU, UF, and win the Orange bowl this year to get that kind of respect.

this is beyond ridiculous. Morris has done nothing to draw comparisons to Dorsey, much less to "be better th[a]n" him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back