Is Morris our best QB since Dorsey?

Advertisement
Dang I did not realize SM only had 7 picks last year, senior improvement could mean a special year for him.

He's clearly the best prospect in a looong time and has the tools, but this season will decide if he's the best since Dorsey. If you want to just talk arm strength and projections, Wright could've been the man if not for the 387624 OC's he went through.

..... naw Jacory, Kyle Wright, and KirbyFreeman set the bar to high. -_-

Honestly though Morris can be better then Dorsey... he just has to lead UM to victories over FSU, UF, and win the Orange bowl this year to get that kind of respect.

I never hated Jacory, just thought he was a slacker and way over rated. His arm was pretty darn weak for a Miami QB.

You're rating Jacory above Morris? Morris has a much better chance of making it in the NFL than Dorsey did.

Berlin
Jacory
Morris
Wright
Freeman

1) There really isn't a definitive criteria here

2) Jacory threw 70 TD passes at Miami and had a nice senior season until his final game. The kid deserves some credit, however much people may hate him.

As an NFL prospect he will be our highest QB drafted since Testaverde...

Since Testaverde:

Walsh was a supplemental pick
Erickson was 5th round
Torretta was 7th round
Covington was 7th round
Dorsey was 7th round
Berlin was undrafted
Wright was undrafted
Harris was undrafted

Walsh may have been a supplemental but the Cowboys gave up a first rounder to take him. He's a first rounder, period.

Advertisement
I would take Morris but couldn't really argue with someone saying Berlin. Just wish we didn't waste a RS year with Morris. Because if he stayed for one more year after this year we would easily be a Top 3 team starting next with him back again.

I feel like had our defense not been the worst in school history, we would have won 10 games last season and Morris could actually be getting some more national buzz. If things go accroding to plan this year we are looking at a 10 win team at least, and an offense that should be explosive and thrive on the big play. If not for sharing the backfield with Duke, Morris could get some Heisman love with some big performances early in the season, especially against Florida.

I feel like had our defense not been so bad, Duke wouldne had over 1,000 EASILY and Morris would've had the most passing yards in the country. But that can also be addressed with all the dropped balls as well.

Advertisement
We exaggerate the past so much... The only games I can recall Harris losing for us was OSU 2010 and UNC 09... For the most part the kid kept us in games... As of right now I'll take Harris... Morris completion rating is a bit low and his stats are accumulated against bad teams...

Any game that you throw at least 3 INT, you are at least part of the reason we lose.

2009 UNC: Lost by 9 points, Jacory 4 INTs and 2 INTs returned for TDs

2009 Clemson: Lost by 3 Points, Jacory 3 INTs

2010 OSU: Lost by 12, Jacory 4 INTs (2 in the redzone)

2010 ND: Lost by 16, Jacory 3 INTs on 7 attempts

2011 BC: Lost by 7, Jacory 4 INTs

18 Total INTs in these 3 losses, I understand not every INT is his fault but these INTs are the difference between wins and losses. INTs end drives, INTs limit offensive production and INTs give the other team more opportunities to score. Against UNC, 2 of the 4 INTs were returned for touchdowns.

Last edited:
Morris had 7 games where his completion rate was under 60%

Has thrown for over 300 yards only 4 times in 16 career starts

He's got a long way to go before we start talking about Heisman Trophy

Dorsey's JR year he threw for under 60% 6 times and 60% exactly 1 time

Dorsey's SO and JR year COMBINED he threw for over 300 yards 4 times (22 starts)

Morris has the statistics. He needs to cut down on turnovers some and the team needs to win ball games and he's definitely in the dicussion.

Advertisement
You're rating Jacory above Morris? Morris has a much better chance of making it in the NFL than Dorsey did.

Berlin
Jacory
Morris
Wright
Freeman

2) Jacory threw 70 TD passes at Miami and had a nice senior season until his final game. The kid deserves some credit, however much people may hate him.

in Games that both Morris and Jacory played in, Morris outperformed Jacory and it aint even close.

And Wright ahead of Jacory.

We exaggerate the past so much... The only games I can recall Harris losing for us was OSU 2010 and UNC 09... For the most part the kid kept us in games... As of right now I'll take Harris... Morris completion rating is a bit low and his stats are accumulated against bad teams...

Any game that you throw at least 3 INT, you are at least part of the reason we lose.

2009 UNC: Lost by 9 points, Jacory 4 INTs and 2 INTs returned for TDs

2009 Clemson: Lost by 3 Points, Jacory 3 INTs

2010 OSU: Lost by 12, Jacory 4 INTs (2 in the redzone)

2010 ND: Lost by 16, Jacory 3 INTs on 7 attempts

2011 BC: Lost by 7, Jacory 4 INTs

18 Total INTs in these 3 losses, I understand not every INT is his fault but these INTs are the difference between wins and losses. INTs end drives, INTs limit offensive production and INTs give the other team more opportunities to score. Against UNC, 2 of the 4 INTs were returned for touchdowns.

Well dams, that about sums up the J12 era, I'm honestly disappointed, thought Harris was going to be the real deal.

Advertisement
Here's a comparison between Berlin's college career and Morris.

Berlin: 2003: 59.9% 2419 yds 12 tds 17 ints
Berlin: 2004: 56% 2680 yds 22 tds 6 ints.

Morris: 2012: 58.2% 3345 yds 21 tds 7 ints.

Morris clearly had the far superior Jr. season and I would say his Jr. year was better than what Berlin did as a senior. I understand Berlin wasn't asked to throw nearly as much because we had a much better running game but Morris was productive and only 1 more Int in his Jr. year as Berlin did as a sr, and threw the ball a lot more.

How many pass attempts in those three years though?

Well dams, that about sums up the J12 era, I'm honestly disappointed, thought Harris was going to be the real deal.

I think his problem was he did not understand his skills were limited and he had an ego. Not every QB fully understands their weaknesses (his was arm strength) and realizes that they need to keep it within a 30 yard box. The ego part was he was a big macca in HS, state champ, TD king and Mr. Florida. Not ever QB wants to dink and dunk, throw slants and keep it within 30.

He could have done a lot better during his tenure, I understand he threw a ton of TDs but he also threw 50+ INTs and that is utter garbage.

Berlin
Jacory
Morris
Wright
Freeman

in Games that both Morris and Jacory played in, Morris outperformed Jacory and it aint even close.

And Wright ahead of Jacory.

Wright over Jacory? Based on what exactly?

Advertisement
Back