Interesting Take On Garvin

I suppose its a perfect conversation to share Jimmy Johnson's famous quote about his UM teams. Something to this effect...
" There are only two things that happen on this team. What I tell you to do and what I allow you to do "

Advertisement
Your not at all understanding what I was originally saying lol..but okay..I’ll say this tho Manny has had a player drafted at every position group of his defense and a player drafted in each of his years here..I think our fans just overrate are talent year in and year..ppl here swore Joe jack, and garvin were top of the draft talents..I just sit back and shake my head at times

Temple. UVA. BC.

The list goes on. The talent we have isn’t Bama talent - but unless you think our rankings are buffed every year, and teams like Virginia or Temple are recruiting better than us, we aren’t doing a good job of developing our talent. No excuses.

Jon Garvin giving max effort is better than Jon Garvin going through the motions, which is what he did last year. If your HC isn't a leader this is the problem that just keeps reoccurring. You don't have to be an abrasive **** head to be a leader, but you have to do something that inspires the best effort from your charges.

It’s nearly impossible to be an effective leader without being abrasive. At least that’s my experience. And look around, name me some nice guy leaders. I’m sure there’s one here or there, but generally you have to be confrontational and bluntly honest with people, to get the best out of them.

I think some coaches do a good job of hiding it in public, some business leaders as well, but wait until you get them alone, or with their charges. The PR stops, and the tough talk starts.

Advertisement
No, they're just usually a lot better players than Jon Garvin.

Has Josh Jobe "got his *** in line" ? He can't get on the field. It's not because his *** is or isn't in line, it's because he's not an elite football player. If Jon Garvin somehow wound up at Alabama or Clemson, he'd be their 8th best edge player and have splinters in his *** from the bench, whether he gave max effort or not. At Miami, half-assed Jon Garvin is still too good to have fetch your water. He's gotta play.

It's just incredible what recruiting better football players will do for your football team.
State of Florida players are by and large incredibly overrated

People play harder when they are afraid of being benched or passed over. Garvin did not have that fear because UM lacks the quality depth to scare kids with competition.
If you don't bust your *** every play in practice and games and Alabama, you get passed over. Same at Clemson because the talent is stacked so deep. It's less about the coaches and culture and more about how good the guy behind you is, and how hungry he is to take your spot.
You better believe Portis worked hard knowing Gore and McGahee were right behind him. Ed Reed knew Taylor was coming up. Moss knew about Andre Johnson, and so on. Today very few have that fear and therefore the hunger. And by the time they realize they didn't push themselves hard enough, their careers have passed by, or they end up as 7th round picks or free agents.
That's a fact.

When our players fúck up on the field, they don't get benched, they don't even get reprimanded, they're just allowed to play as much as they want.

It's why I wish we would've brought in a JUCO Corner in the 2020 class or landed a Grad Transfer CB this offseason, to let Ivey know that his job is not secure & if his play doesn't improve he's not guaranteed a starter spot. I don't think the staff will ever bench Ivey for one of the younger guys behind him even if they're better, for whatever reason they just want him to play so they can use it as a bargaining chip in recruiting.

Playing Time is the ultimate equalizer of discipline. Doesn't matter how strict or laid back you are as a coach, the only thing players respond to is when you take away PT.

For all the talk about culture & recruiting better character guys, what never gets discussed is how serious are the coaches about instilling discipline? Are they willing to take PT away from guys, or will they just give a bunch of lip service & let the same guys keep making mistakes & getting away with it?

*recruiting
*leadership
*development

We've developed a culture of complacency. Garvin is lazy and uncoachable. Our starting RB and LB have little beer guts. Our most "talented" WR is a ****head who looks like he hasn't stepped into a weight room in years.

Nobody comes here and GETS BETTER.
Nothing but fax. The staff and culture enables these kids to suck.

Advertisement
That's a fact.

When our players fúck up on the field, they don't get benched, they don't even get reprimanded, they're just allowed to play as much as they want.

It's why I wish we would've brought in a JUCO Corner in the 2020 class or landed a Grad Transfer CB this offseason, to let Ivey know that his job is not secure & if his play doesn't improve he's not guaranteed a starter spot. I don't think the staff will ever bench Ivey for one of the younger guys behind him even if they're better, for whatever reason they just want him to play so they can use it as a bargaining chip in recruiting.

Playing Time is the ultimate equalizer of discipline. Doesn't matter how strict or laid back you are as a coach, the only thing players respond to is when you take away PT.

For all the talk about culture & recruiting better character guys, what never gets discussed is how serious are the coaches about instilling discipline? Are they willing to take PT away from guys, or will they just give a bunch of lip service & let the same guys keep making mistakes & getting away with it?
Exactly I would have took his *** out the game for that TD he gave up against GT

People play harder when they are afraid of being benched or passed over. Garvin did not have that fear because UM lacks the quality depth to scare kids with competition.
If you don't bust your *** every play in practice and games and Alabama, you get passed over. Same at Clemson because the talent is stacked so deep. It's less about the coaches and culture and more about how good the guy behind you is, and how hungry he is to take your spot.
You better believe Portis worked hard knowing Gore and McGahee were right behind him. Ed Reed knew Taylor was coming up. Moss knew about Andre Johnson, and so on. Today very few have that fear and therefore the hunger. And by the time they realize they didn't push themselves hard enough, their careers have passed by, or they end up as 7th round picks or free agents.

Coaches with less talent have sat players down with more talent than Garvin. Fact. If he’s getting his *** put on the bench for going half speed, that will either motivate him to play the game the way it should be, or notify the world that it won’t be tolerated AND this guy is a pussyfoot.

Now try declaring for the draft after being benched for going half speed. Declare for the draft after you get zero snaps for going half speed. Let’s see how that works out.

There are no excuses. The head coach has to set the standard.

If they were glad hes leaving they should have sent a message and just flat out stop playing him. The other issue is now the young guys behind him usually learn from the older guys and you dont want them learning from that ****** effort. Thats why you bench them, **** dont even dress them out. Thats how you let the young bucks know were not tolerating this type of effort here. We need to get some dam nasty *** dogs in that locker room that are ready to brawl if you slack in practice much less a game.
This. If our coaches really did say/believe that and continued to play and start him, we're in even deeper **** than I realized.

Advertisement
*recruiting
*leadership
*development

We've developed a culture of complacency. Garvin is lazy and uncoachable. Our starting RB and LB have little beer guts. Our most "talented" WR is a ****head who looks like he hasn't stepped into a weight room in years.

Nobody comes here and GETS BETTER.

giphy.gif

Advertisement
It's a lot about the coaches too because the great coaches breed that fire BEFORE they get their rosters stacked like they are now. Meyer, Sabag, and ***** all started with clubs that were nowhere near as loaded as they are now, but they still produced that fire through their own leadership.

It’s nearly impossible to be an effective leader without being abrasive. At least that’s my experience. And look around, name me some nice guy leaders. I’m sure there’s one here or there, but generally you have to be confrontational and bluntly honest with people, to get the best out of them.

I think some coaches do a good job of hiding it in public, some business leaders as well, but wait until you get them alone, or with their charges. The PR stops, and the tough talk starts.
I disagree because I'm a natural born leader and am constantly praised for my leadership skills. But I don't go about by being abrasive.

I think there's a difference between being honest and direct and being abrasive. I think you can be the former without being the latter. But everyone's different.

If they were glad hes leaving they should have sent a message and just flat out stop playing him. The other issue is now the young guys behind him usually learn from the older guys and you dont want them learning from that ****** effort. Thats why you bench them, **** dont even dress them out. Thats how you let the young bucks know were not tolerating this type of effort here. We need to get some dam nasty *** dogs in that locker room that are ready to brawl if you slack in practice much less a game.

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding.

So going back to my man @DTP when asked the question of player development, how are other programs different than ours; what's the magic formula? Our player development sucks b/c kids who are dogging it are getting the green light, which is setting a bad precedence for the up and coming pups, that they, too, can half *** it, rely upon what they did in HS, and be rewarded. Bull chit.

We hear this type of chit all the time, AFTER THE FACT. So we just harped all over JT4 in another thread, and I made the point Manny has been here for four years now, so why beg JT4 to come back if he had all these "issues" and was a locker room problem? Well, Manny has been Garvin's coach his ENTIRE CAREER; so if he's that lazy, does things his way and can be hard to coach, WTF IS HE STARTING?
***Quick off topic but related: Maybe that's why BH left b/c he stays, pays his dues, we beg a kid to come back that quit the team, and said kid gets the starting job.

Why is this chit still happening? Why are players rewarded for half-assed efforts?

So we can hear these reports and be like "See?? I told you Garvin was dogging it!" OK, shame on him. BUT SHAME ON THIS STAFF for continuing to allow knuckleheads run the asylum! Like the season was already fck'd anyway; play the pups that actually are coach able, mold-able, and are excited to put on the uniform and build for next year. Stop coddling a septic trend!

That's a fact.

A great leader would bench Ivey even if he doesn't have a top JUCO or grad transfer behind him. Cultivate the guys you do have and apply the pressure. If Ivey doesn't respond, sit his ***. Booch did it with our entire WR group one year and replaced them with a bunch of true freshmans.

Advertisement
Back